BBC & Tunein

• 12 August 2019
  • 72 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12
https://radiotoday.co.uk/2019/08/bbc-to-pull-all-radio-services-from-tunein-uk-platform

Implications for Sonos?

72 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Why have a the BBC radio stations ceased to play on Sonos Radio? 

Works ok with google, we can now set sonos as default speaker for a google device. So just “play radio 2” has bbc radio 2 coming out of play1.

Indeed. Which is what used to happen with Alexa.  I don't think Google uses TuneIn so was unaffected by the BBC's decision. 

I’ve just swapped my Echo Dot to a Nest Mini and can now tell any Sonos to play BBC stations, as I could before, but not recently, with ED.

Strangely, Sonos then shows that it’s playing the station from Tunein.

Badge

Well after just reading the Alexa bbc skill page again I just tried:

”Alexa ask the bbc to play radio 4”

and it works!!

Same for all bbc stations. So it looks like we are back in business!

One minor issue seems to be that if you change from one bbc radio station to another you need to say it twice as the first time you just get silence.

Badge

So I tested this today after a few months away from it all. Things have changed a bit with the bbc Alexa skill.

i can now say to the Alexa in my bedroom: “Alexa open the BBC” it responds on the Alexa device and says say a radio station or say open news.

i then respond with “radio 6 music” and it then starts bbc radio 6 music on the Sonos speaker I have associated with that Alexa device.

I tried this on my other Alexa devices associated with other Sonos speakers and now they all play the correct bbc radio station on the correct speakers. 

You do need to associate your Sonos speakers with your Alexa devices correctly in the Alexa app.

Obviously it’s not as convenient as before but at least you can now play the correct radio station on the correct Sonos speaker through Alexa.

Hopefully more improvements will come.

Works ok with google, we can now set sonos as default speaker for a google device. So just “play radio 2” has bbc radio 2 coming out of play1.

Indeed. Which is what used to happen with Alexa.  I don't think Google uses TuneIn so was unaffected by the BBC's decision. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

This link gives a bunch of URLs for BBC Radio stations that work through TuneIn on my Sonos system.  I simply opened the “Radio By TuneIn” music source, went to “My Radio Stations”, clicked “Add New Radio Station” and pasted in the .m3u8 links.  So I don’t understand why there’s all this “BBC Radio doesn’t work on TuneIn” anger - it works for me.  What am I failing to understand?

Are you saying that these work with Alexa? The BBC made a concession for third party systems and BBC stations still work fine through the Sonos app. That isn't the issue. The issue is with Alexa. 

One of the main reasons is that if you have an Amazon Echo paired with an old Sonos Play 1 (using the echo to supply voice commands to the Sonos) then there’s no easy way to get it to play BBC stations. Non-bbc work via TuneIn and it reroutes the audio to the Sonos properly. For BBC you have to say “Alexa listen to Radio 6 Music from BBC” which is cumbersome in itself, but also doesn’t respect the grouping that says you want it to play on Sonos rather than Echo. 

Please re-read what I wrote. I understand that the BBC Sounds interface isn’t as good as the TuneIn Radio interface. I understand that the BBC supposedly removed its main station streams from TuneIn.  But that clearly isn’t the case because the stream URLs I posted about do work on TuneIn and are for the main BBC station streams.

And how would one use a paired Echo device to ask for one of them to be played?

Userlevel 3
Badge

One of the main reasons is that if you have an Amazon Echo paired with an old Sonos Play 1 (using the echo to supply voice commands to the Sonos) then there’s no easy way to get it to play BBC stations. Non-bbc work via TuneIn and it reroutes the audio to the Sonos properly. For BBC you have to say “Alexa listen to Radio 6 Music from BBC” which is cumbersome in itself, but also doesn’t respect the grouping that says you want it to play on Sonos rather than Echo. 

Please re-read what I wrote. I understand that the BBC Sounds interface isn’t as good as the TuneIn Radio interface. I understand that the BBC supposedly removed its main station streams from TuneIn.  But that clearly isn’t the case because the stream URLs I posted about do work on TuneIn and are for the main BBC station streams.

This link gives a bunch of URLs for BBC Radio stations that work through TuneIn on my Sonos system.  I simply opened the “Radio By TuneIn” music source, went to “My Radio Stations”, clicked “Add New Radio Station” and pasted in the .m3u8 links.  So I don’t understand why there’s all this “BBC Radio doesn’t work on TuneIn” anger - it works for me.  What am I failing to understand?

Userlevel 3
Badge

Badge +2

Solution here

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Update on the BBC that they are investigating the issue I was having -   BBC Sounds intro plays, but then goes silent.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/issues/sonos-one-alexa

The IFTTT workaround does work, but I didn't like to have to say “Trigger 6 Music Radio” 

If you install the app ‘Yonomi’ you can create a ‘Routine’ within the Yonomi app, this Routine becomes a ‘Control Scene’ within your Alexa routine so

1. Install Yonomi 
  2. Connect Yonomi to your Sonons and Alexa
  3. Make sure the BBC station you wish to control is a favourite within the Sonos App.
  4. Create a routine within Yomoni to play the radio station eg “6 Music”
  5. Add Yonomi skill to Alexa
  6. Discover your new scenes within Alexa
  7. Create a routine “Alexa, Play 6 Music”
  8. Add your Yomoni scene to your Alexa routine

You can also create one for each room so you have Play 6 Music in Kitchen or Play 6 Music in Lounge.  Its still a step back .

I had to let it all settle before I could see my favourites, eg go make a cupa tea or do the dish washer. It took a few mins for Yonomi to list my sonos favourites. 

This solution requires your phone to be on, so for some its may not be ‘right’ but thought I would share. 

Enjoy

I have the same issues with my Sonos Ones, but also my Beam. 

I’d have the Yonomi routine running for over a year on my Play 1’s in the kitchen, connect via an Echo dot but that no longer works either. I can now only get BBC 6Music via Sonos by using the Sonos App. 

I switched from Alexa to Google Assistant and that still pulls the BBC feed from Tune-in, although I prefer the Alexa interface.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

I’m having constant problems trying to play Radio 4 via either TuneIN or Radioplayer with error messages about ‘song not encoded correctly’ and others:

Update on the BBC that they are investigating the issue I was having -   BBC Sounds intro plays, but then goes silent.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/issues/sonos-one-alexa

'Alexa stop' still works for me

To use Alexa to play BBC radio on Sonos... (but please bear in mind my earlier comment that 'It is a rather limited workaround but is OK for my use case') You need an applet for every room-station combination, which is tolerable for me as I only listen to a couple of BBC stations in a couple of rooms.

1. If you haven't used IFTTT before, download the IFTTT app and link your Sonos and Alexa accounts to it.
  2. Add any BBC radio stations to which you want to listen to your Sonos Favourites. I think this needs a desktop controller, because of the dog's breakfast that is 'My Sonos' etc nowadays.
  3. Create an IFTTT applet where the Alexa trigger is (for example) 'kitchen radio 6', and the Sonos action is 'Play a favourite'. Choose BBC Radio 6 Music' to play in room Kitchen.
  4. Make sure you tap the 'Finish' button to save the applet.
  5. To play BBC Radio 6 Music in the kitchen, say 'Alexa, trigger kitchen radio 6'.

..... if you think it's worth it.

@ John B, this works great, but how to stop the routine through Alexa? All the voice commands I tried don’t work.

The IFTTT workaround does work, but I didn't like to have to say “Trigger 6 Music Radio” 

If you install the app ‘Yonomi’ you can create a ‘Routine’ within the Yonomi app, this Routine becomes a ‘Control Scene’ within your Alexa routine so

1. Install Yonomi 
  2. Connect Yonomi to your Sonons and Alexa
  3. Make sure the BBC station you wish to control is a favourite within the Sonos App.
  4. Create a routine within Yomoni to play the radio station eg “6 Music”
  5. Add Yonomi skill to Alexa
  6. Discover your new scenes within Alexa
  7. Create a routine “Alexa, Play 6 Music”
  8. Add your Yomoni scene to your Alexa routine

You can also create one for each room so you have Play 6 Music in Kitchen or Play 6 Music in Lounge.  Its still a step back .

I had to let it all settle before I could see my favourites, eg go make a cupa tea or do the dish washer. It took a few mins for Yonomi to list my sonos favourites. 

This solution requires your phone to be on, so for some its may not be ‘right’ but thought I would share. 

Enjoy

Hi

How did you create a cloned applet for other favourites?  Simple steps please!!

I am not sure I would call it ‘cloning’, but just tap the ‘My Applets’ button (bottom right  in IFTTT app), then hit the ‘+’ at the top of the screen..

Tap the ‘+this’ to enter your Alexa trigger, and ‘+that’ for the Sonos action.

Tap ‘Finish’ to save.

Is that OK?

Hi

How did you create a cloned applet for other favourites?  Simple steps please!!

@John B - what a great work around! Thanks. Seems to work on the mobile app version of both IFTTT and SONOS. Start the station in Sonos and add to My Sonos. IFTTT seems to recognise virtually immediately. Also using the Sonos existing applet means only one station/ room combo can be saved (for me anyway). So just create applet from scratch for the other room/ station combinations you want. If I can do it, anyone can!
Thanks again

Thanks for the thanks and for the clarification re the mobile app.
Badge
@John B - what a great work around! Thanks. Seems to work on the mobile app version of both IFTTT and SONOS. Start the station in Sonos and add to My Sonos. IFTTT seems to recognise virtually immediately. Also using the Sonos existing applet means only one station/ room combo can be saved (for me anyway). So just create applet from scratch for the other room/ station combinations you want. If I can do it, anyone can!
Thanks again
I just got the same thing again. I triggered one of my existing applets and that also seemed to sort it. Although that isn't much help when trying to set up your first applet! Glad you have got it sorted now.

To use Alexa to play BBC radio on Sonos... (but please bear in mind my earlier comment that 'It is a rather limited workaround but is OK for my use case') You need an applet for every room-station combination, which is tolerable for me as I only listen to a couple of BBC stations in a couple of rooms.

1. If you haven't used IFTTT before, download the IFTTT app and link your Sonos and Alexa accounts to it.
  2. Add any BBC radio stations to which you want to listen to your Sonos Favourites. I think this needs a desktop controller, because of the dog's breakfast that is 'My Sonos' etc nowadays.
  3. Create an IFTTT applet where the Alexa trigger is (for example) 'kitchen radio 6', and the Sonos action is 'Play a favourite'. Choose BBC Radio 6 Music' to play in room Kitchen.
  4. Make sure you tap the 'Finish' button to save the applet.
  5. To play BBC Radio 6 Music in the kitchen, say 'Alexa, trigger kitchen radio 6'.
..... if you think it's worth it.
i have the same use case for bbc radio 6 music!!
ive tried this but in ifttt my sonos wont show any favourites even though they are in desktop controller and app, so im stuffed.

Do you get 'loading'' then a failure message? I had that at one point but it just seemed to resolve of its own accord. It might just be worth having another go tomorrow! Or maybe try playing direct from the Favourites for a few moments (not that I can offer any logic for that!)