Answered

BBC Sounds app

• 2 January 2019
  • 7 replies

According to the BBC I should be able to access the app on sonos from my iPad or iPhone using the airplay icon within the bbc app. I’ve a Sonos play 1 and ios 12 on both phone and iPad, but sonos does not appear on airplay: only my phone / iPad are listed. How do I fix this?
icon

Best answer by pwt 2 January 2019, 17:49

The Sonos PLAY:1 does not support AirPlay, unfortunately. The more recent Sonos One speaker does, as do the PLAY:5 (Gen2), Playbase, Beam, and the new Amp. Essentially, AirPlay 2 support is restricted to the more recent speakers in the range because they have the necessary processing power.

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/airplay
View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The Sonos PLAY:1 does not support AirPlay, unfortunately. The more recent Sonos One speaker does, as do the PLAY:5 (Gen2), Playbase, Beam, and the new Amp. Essentially, AirPlay 2 support is restricted to the more recent speakers in the range because they have the necessary processing power.

https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/airplay
Ah. Thanks for this.
Badge
You only need one Sonos speaker that supports Airplay. You can play a BBC sounds station or podcast on the Airplay-enabled speaker and then group one or more other Sonos speakers to this one. Turn volume way down on the Airplay-enabled speaker if you don't wish to hear it in that room. Not a perfect situation, but a work-around. Doesn't look like the legacy (I hate that description!!) Sonos speakers will be supported any time soon 🙂. Please correct me if I am wrong.
I think you can safely say, 'any time ever' rather than 'any time soon'. Otherwise spot on.
thanks Neil. I’m a Luddite on this stuff. I have six Sonos ZP120’s so can’t use AirPlay. If I replace/add one AirPlay compatible Sonos box as you suggest, does AirPlay allow you to connect from any room in the house (within the Wi-fi zone) or would I have to be near the new, AirPlay compatible Sonos box?
Sorry for bothering you, but your suggestion was precisely what I was thinking might be possible.
Since the receiver is the single Sonos device, you'd need to be within range of that particular device. That's where the antenna would be that is receiving the AirPlay 2 signal. That being said, unless you have a rather large home, it's likely that you'll be within range, mostly because Apple wrote the AirPlay 2 interface to use a mix of signals in order to maintain connection, including wifi. So if your device is on the wifi, the AirPlay 2 should reach the Sonos device it's being "sent" to. Worth testing. In my experience, when playing on AirPlay 2, I only lose signal in a specific wifi deadspot in my kitchen.
Thanks Bruce. The house is quite large - on 3 floors and I use a Linksys 3 piece mesh to spread the Wi-fi across the house. But, if I put the AirPlay connected box in the most central location, I could give it a try.
I’ll buy from somewhere that does 30 day refunds in case it doesn’t work (as this is the only reason I’m getting the new box)
Thanks again.
I’ll let you/the thread know if it works or not.