BBC radio on TuneIn going away March 22nd 2021

I listen to BBC Radio 4 every morning on my Sonos system. It's my alarm clock.

This morning there is a short audio insert just before each hour telling me that the service will be stopping on March 22nd 2021 and that I should contact my service provider to ask them how I can continue to access the BBC content.

I'm not in the UK, so the TuneIn service is still available (until now). What are the options for me to still receive my daily dose of British content over my Sonos system?

iPhone related options are not applicable in this house.

92 replies

What will happen to my listening experience after March 21st?

BBC Radio is changing. I want to continue listening to live BBC radio.

Announcements on BBC Radio say things will change. BBC Sounds is not available in Switzerland. I don’t have/want Alexa.

Badge

Now receiving a message on the hour from the BBC via Sonos radio, informing that on the 21st March, I will stop receiving this service 😒

I would like to continue listening to live BBC radio via my Sonos system

What is Sonos doing to get this sorted ?

Does it mean we will have BBC sounds as a native app within Sonos ? 

And why only the 17day notice period !!! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Just heard the same thing this morning and equally worried so would really appreciate some help.

Ditto about iPhone options not being applicable.

Badge

I am based in the UK and have the same issue...Sonos? 

Badge

I’m getting the same message, really annoying, is there a work around to dismiss the message?.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Yep, getting the same (based in the UK)

I contacted support this morning and they suggested using MytunerRadio - but still getting the messages

From reading the various posts over the last year, I’m extremely worried - The suggestions of using the BBC Sounds app are no good for me as I have a whole suite of products, non of which are airplay compatible.  I’m not blaming Sonos -  I think it is crazy and the BBC will lose loads of listeners

But, are there any thoughts to adding BBC Sounds as a music services directly

I doubt very much that Sonos could unilaterally integrate BBC Sounds, either legally or technically.  It would require BBC input, which may not fit with their priorities

I cannot immediately find any mention of an upcoming change having had a quick Google.  If anyone can provide a statement that sets out what is supposed to be happening that would be a great help!

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

I doubt very much that Sonos could unilaterally integrate BBC Sounds, either legally or technically.  It would require BBC input, which may not fit with their priorities

I cannot immediately find any mention of an upcoming change having had a quick Google.  If anyone can provide a statement that sets out what is supposed to be happening that would be a great help!

Yeah - I couldn't find any announcements on line - I have contacted the BBC - let’s see what they come back with

I am also getting this hourly message today.

Yet again the BBC are doing all they can to alienate a big section of the UK population. Yes I know that there are ways round this, by using Alexa and the BBC Sounds skill, but as I UK licence payer, I should not have to jump through hoops to listen to the BBC.

I do not know what the user base is for Sonos in the UK, but it is disappointing that there is no BBC integration in Sonos and no sign of anything coming available anytime soon.

The stock answer from BBC, to use BBC Sounds and then airplay to Sonos is the most ridiculous solution offered. 

I think we all need to understand exactly what is going to happen, to which services and on which platforms. 

Surprisingly I cannot find any mention of this matter on the web.

I think we can safely assume that BBC will no longer be available directly through Sonos. If you have Alexa enabled Sonos speakers then ‘Ask BBC to….’ functionality will still exist if you have the BBC Sounds skill setup.

I expect that BBC channels will disappear from Sonos Radio, like it did from Tunein, this time last year.

I have had a dig on the BBC sounds website and finally found this:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/questions/supported-devices/internet-radio-closure

It is my understanding that it is the BBC that would need to develop a BBC Sounds add-in to Sonos not the other way round. As previously said, I do not know how many Sonos users there are in the UK, but I am sure it is not insignificant. 

I work in IT, so have the technical ability to find ways round this change, using Alexa, IFTTT etc., but I feel for those that don't have these skills and are being let down by the BBC.

Have the same message every hour since this morning on BBC radio Scotland. Strange that Sonos looks unaware of the change, you would think that the BBC would notify them? 

Have the same message every hour since this morning on BBC radio Scotland. Strange that Sonos looks unaware of the change, you would think that the BBC would notify them? 

Probably..… if Sonos is really  affected... by whatever is happening..

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/questions/supported-devices/sonos-airplay says the BBC are “looking into ways of making it possible to use the BBC Sounds app through Sonos from Android devices. “

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Use AirPlay: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/questions/supported-devices/sonos-airplay

Today just before the news I started getting a message to say from 22nd March that BBC radio stations will need the BBC sounds app. Are S1 users about to lose BBC radio from Sonos?

This announcement will also affect Sonos Radio, as they pull their BBC content from TuneIn.

That might make them sit up and take notice. BBC content includes all the World Service content which has a much wider reach than the domestic radio channels.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/questions/supported-devices/sonos-airplay says the BBC are “looking into ways of making it possible to use the BBC Sounds app through Sonos from Android devices. “

Will the desktop controller still work? Since my CR100’s became defunct and my iPad is no longer capable of updating I only have my desktop to be able to control my system. I tried a Sonos One for a week but returned it as it has very limited functionality for the rest of the system. 

Badge +17

Hi everyone,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We’re aware of the BBC’s messaging and are investigating how this will affect BBC streams on Sonos going forward. We don’t have anything else to share at this time, but we’ll update this thread with any further information going forward.

I’ve also merged a few similar topics into this one to make things a bit easier to follow.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Just to clarify I got this message whilst using Sonos Radio AND MyTunerRadio on the S2 system.

From my understanding one workaround is to play a live stream through the BBC Sounds app and airplay to a compatible device, if you have one - unfortunately I don't have any.

Another is to use voice control, but again, no good if you don’t have compatible products

Really keen to see a resolution to this.  I don't physically have another way of listening other than through Sonos.

Just to clarify I got this message whilst using Sonos Radio AND MyTunerRadio on the S2 system.

From my understanding one workaround is to play a live stream through the BBC Sounds app and airplay to a compatible device, if you have one - unfortunately I don't have any.

Another is to use voice control, but again, no good if you don’t have compatible products

Sorry,  but how can anyone propose a workaround when we haven't got much idea what, if anything, needs to be worked around?

Note that since this appears to be occurring across multiple sources, the control is in the BBC’s hands. Sonos only uses TuneIn’s or MyTunerRadio’s services, they have no control themselves. You may be best served by registering your concerns directly with the BBC. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi everyone,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We’re aware of the BBC’s messaging and are investigating how this will affect BBC streams on Sonos going forward. We don’t have anything else to share at this time, but we’ll update this thread with any further information going forward.

Surprised and disappointed that Sonos were unaware of this

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Note that since this appears to be occurring across multiple sources, the control is in the BBC’s hands. Sonos only uses TuneIn’s or MyTunerRadio’s services, they have no control themselves. You may be best served by registering your concerns directly with the BBC. 

I’ve logged it, but currently just getting the “your feedback is important to us” reply.