Question

BBC RADIO

VERY UPSET THAT I AM UNABLE TO PLAY BBC I PLAYER CONTENT.

LISTEN TO THE RADIO A LOT AND WAS TOLD I WOULD BE ABLE TO WHEN I PURCHASED THE SYSTEM.

WOULD NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE WHO LISTENS TO I PLAYER TO BUY THE SYSTEM

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

139 replies

@castalla @thomashenry in my opinion arguing with the Cult Of Sonos is a waste of time. IMO for those of us who are Sonos and Squeezebox users, ignoring them is best course of action. But YMMV of course.

Back on topic,. @Thomashenry Your new gen2 play5 speaker is very nice sounding. Sonos makes it seamless to use of the line in - plug a squeeze device (or chromecast, another multi room audio system that supports iPlayer that can also be used as a squeezeplayer) in for iPlayer support. For example, Picoreplayer 3.0 has LMS built in so an RPi is all you need to keep a full LMS/player going) or use the LMStoUPNP plugin to treat your Sonos as a Squeezeplayer.

Moderator notes from Ryan S: Edited out some of the personal attacks. Let's keep it friendly around here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It's presumably not offered because the BBC hasn't done the necessary work to build the interface. Online providers are free to work with Sonos through the music partners programme. It takes two to tango.

As for 'failing in the UK' somehow I doubt it. There are dozens of other services available on Sonos, not to mention thousands of internet radio stations and of course the option to play purchased music. Besides, selected BBC shows are available through the TuneIn directory service.

It's not offered because Sonos don't think it's important enough to support. Simple as that. Full iPlayer services are available for Squeezebox via community written plugins - so don't for one minute think that there is some technical reason that Sonos could not do this if they wanted to.

I'm calling that nonsense Thomas. Whilst there is no doubt could and probably do put pressure on Music Services to get themselves integrated into Sonos it is entirely up to the BBC to do the required work via the Sonos Music Partners initiative that Sonos have. Now, as you may or may not know, the BBC is funded via a licence fee that is paid by everybody that watches TV. Nobody has said that having a version of the iPlayer Radio app in the Sonos controller is particularly difficult but neither would it be trivial and would mean a considerable amount of resource from the BBC (IE it would cost them to do it). Now given that a relatively small number of people would benefit (It would only be those who want to use catch up AND who have Sonos) it seems inconceivable that the BBC could or would even attempt to justify the required outlay.

Don't get me wrong - 99.5% of my listening to radio is BBC and 80% of my podcast is BBC content and I for 1 would love an iPlayer integrated Sonos solution. I just think, given it would need BBC work, that it simply ain't going to happen.

Now, there was some suggestion that Sonos would make it so the iPlayer Radio app could play via Sonos (even for this recent announcement) but that hasn't happened - I suppose that it might at some point - who knows.

But as John says - You're cutting your nose off to spite your face if you limit your Sonos purchases due to this 1 concern.

Oh. And please don't spam the forum. We can all read and it's only necessary to post in 1 thread not at least 3. Thank you
A completely hassle free experience for $350 vs a "free" system one has to devote many hours to get working and keep working. My time is valuable, a no brainer for me.

They are both devices that connect to a network and play content. Both can play music stored on disk on my local network, and from Spotify. Of course they are vaguely comparable. Vaguely comparable doesn't mean 'the same'.

Nobody asked for "vaguely comparable", we asked for comparable (actually I asked you to name another multi-room streamer). The fact you have to add the word "vaguely", not to mention your fellow Squeeze fan agrees with us, means you should probably drop this conversation. It's not standard on audio streamers, at all.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
A completely hassle free experience for $350 vs a "free" system one has to devote many hours to get working and keep working. My time is valuable, a no brainer for me.

Lucky you - not everyone has got £1000+ to spend on this sort of stuff. Plus there are still advantages to a SB system that Sonos hasn't (and probably never will) caught up with.
Hmmm. When will Squeezebox have voice control, again? Apple Music?
Userlevel 3
Badge +4

They are both devices that connect to a network and play content. Both can play music stored on disk on my local network, and from Spotify. Of course they are vaguely comparable. Vaguely comparable doesn't mean 'the same'.

Nobody asked for "vaguely comparable", we asked for comparable (actually I asked you to name another multi-room streamer). The fact you have to add the word "vaguely", not to mention your fellow Squeeze fan agrees with us, means you should probably drop this conversation. It's not standard on audio streamers, at all.

JohnB asked me to name 'comparable' systems yes - but my original post (if you care to look) said 'vaguely comparable'.

Even systems that don't do any iplayer feature directly can still at least play via Airplay, or some such similar tech. Sonos doesn't even have this capability.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Hmmm. When will Squeezebox have voice control, again? Apple Music?

huh? I've never said SB is better than Sonos. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Stop being so childish and tribal about it. We are not 10 year olds arguing over Megadrive v SNES.

JohnB asked me to name 'comparable' systems yes - but my original post (if you care to look) said 'vaguely comparable'.

Even systems that don't do any iplayer feature directly can still at least play via Airplay, or some such similar tech. Sonos doesn't even have this capability.

We both noticed your vaguely qualifier, thus why we removed it from our criteria, lest we have to put up with nonsense answers about video streamers and PVRs. Alas, it didn't work. ;)

As to other tech, Sonos rightfully decided not to directly support Airplay and its tripling of bandwidth, through the phone, no multi-room architecture, which Bose finally abandoned after the third re-engineering of their multi-room streamer in 3 years. Same with Sonos and Bluetooth; with its lossy sound quality and lack of range. Though Sonos is a leading partner in developing an a truly modern and flexible wireless casting method, starting with the new Spotify announcement; with Pandora to follow. Perhaps the BBC can be convinced to make use of that? But then again, it would require cooperation from the BBC, something you claim isn't needed. It may also require posting these types of laments over at the BBC, something you seem so reluctant to do.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
OMG - chromecast is surely what we want.
Google play music can select either sonos or GCA devices to cast to on android.
BBC iplayer radio can cast to GCA...but cannot see sonos, it can't be rocket science to make sonos appear :O)) , job done......
Userlevel 6
Badge +14

It may also require posting these types of laments over at the BBC, something you seem so reluctant to do.

Well, good luck with that. If anything, the BBC is even more obscure about developments than Sonos! They took a pasting last year over the Audio Factory fiasco from users on their blog ... they essentially shut the discussion down, and went their own way.

Well, good luck with that. If anything, the BBC is even more obscure about developments than Sonos! They took a pasting last year over the Audio Factory fiasco from users on their blog ... they essentially shut the discussion down, and went their own way.

I've heard they can be a bit provincial, not to mention a little ornery. State owned and operated media can be like that. I work for a state run entity that actually makes a profit, but if you could see the antiquated hardware and processes I have to put up with, you'd think we were running at a deficit. The phrase "good enough for government work" applies, with "good enough" usually meaning no modern hardware or software gets introduced until you can't buy the old stuff anymore. I had a tape drive (Yes! A tape drive!) break down yesterday and I swear they are going to have to dig in the big warehouse where they stored the Ark of the Covenant to find a replacement. In private industry, the average life of the systems I use is 6 years, we are going on 18 and counting with ours. It wasn't that long ago that we finally abandoned 9-tracks for our data transfers. I imagine the BBC has the same sort of bureaucratic paralysis when it comes to embracing new technology.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
The BBC have embraced casting from their app, surely their job is done, and sonos needs to join the casting party with more than just GPM app on android.
We soon will have spotify, then Pandora.. so it has started at least.
The BBC have embraced casting from their app, surely their job is done, and sonos needs to join the casting party with more than just GPM app on android.
We soon will have spotify, then Pandora.. so it has started at least.

You know it's not that simple, as was explained to you by a Sonos rep in the thread "RYAN - what happened to "play on sonos""

You rang? 🙂

Those are some great questions Paul and yes, we don't talk about roadmaps generally so there isn't too much we can share here. That article is from October 2013, and it hints on the work we were doing with Google for their integration with Google Play Music on Sonos with direct Android streaming (released April 2014). We do love the work done there and it's safe to say that we'd love to see improved integration with all our services. We don't have any official announcements right now to add however.

To directly answer your questions:

Wouldn't this overcome problems with bbc iplayer podcasts, Audible etc ?
Like chromecast casting to sonos from more than just GPM on android?
Will Alexa type voice control work through native apps like "play on sonos"?

1. To a degree, being able to play through any app to Sonos could overcome a lot of problems from the software view of things. On the technical side of things it gets a bit trickier. Without going too far into it, it really depends on the technology you're using for the direct control. If the audio is being sent from the controller itself it adds one batch of variables that can decrease quality. But if the controller is directing the players on where to go to play the music instead (which is how our Google Play integration works), the apps would each need new coding to be capable of doing this.

2. I think I tied this in on my answer to 1.

3. "Could" is probably a better question than "will". The answer there is possibly. There's a lot of question marks and variables to this so I really can't answer it very well. We don't have any plans or news to announce right now on either voice control or "play on Sonos".

Speaking generally now, there's a lot to discuss around the idea of native control from other apps. For example, what level of control can an outside app have on Sonos, and how much would someone want to swap between the two apps. Using Google as an example, right now you can select what you'd like to play in the Google app, and choose the Sonos group to have it play to. But, from that app you can't make a group or send any system commands beyond very basic play controls. Depending on what you'd like to do, it has a lot of back and forth between apps. I think it's great for one person listening on their own in a room, but not great for multi-room.

With any development or change to how you control Sonos we push to make the experience just right. I posted this earlier, but I'd like to re-iterate it for any who might have missed this:

We completely agree that listening to music at home should be super easy. We strive to make the time between when you think of music to when music starts playing to be as quick as possible. For these reasons, we are also big believers in the future of voice to control your music (and other stuff) at home. We are hard at work on a bunch of different projects to make this future a reality.

PS, I'm going to clean up the thread a bit to remove the off topic posts. Let's all try to get along and keep threads on topic, without the sarcasm and jabs.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I've heard they can be a bit provincial, not to mention a little ornery. State owned and operated media can be like that. I work for a state run entity that actually makes a profit, but if you could see the antiquated hardware and processes I have to put up with, you'd think we were running at a deficit. The phrase "good enough for government work" applies, with "good enough" usually meaning no modern hardware or software gets introduced until you can't buy the old stuff anymore. I had a tape drive (Yes! A tape drive!) break down yesterday and I swear they are going to have to dig in the big warehouse where they stored the Ark of the Covenant to find a replacement. In private industry, the average life of the systems I use is 6 years, we are going on 18 and counting with ours. It wasn't that long ago that we finally abandoned 9-tracks for our data transfers. I imagine the BBC has the same sort of bureaucratic paralysis when it comes to embracing new technology.

Actually, the BBC are very innovative when it comes to technology - their online platforms are vastly superior to other services. Where they falter is interfacing with outside corporate entities who have profit as their essential bottom line. Unlike the Irish government & Apple they can't risk being seen to favour any partner over others!

The BBC isn't state-owned - it exists as an independent entity funded through a licence fee. It does operate commercial arms (eg..BBC America, etc).
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
[quote=jgatie] Though Sonos is a leading partner in developing an a truly modern and flexible wireless casting method, starting with the new Spotify announcement; with Pandora to follow. Perhaps the BBC can be convinced to make use of that? But then again, it would require cooperation from the BBC, something you claim isn't needed. It may also require posting these types of laments over at the BBC, something you seem so reluctant to do.

I said BBC collaboration would not be required for a Squeezebox style iPlayer feature inside Sonos. I've said nothing about this feature you are now talking about, so please stop putting words into my mouth. I don't even know what this Spotify announcement is, so have no thoughts at all on what it might mean for the BBC.
[Actually, the BBC are very innovative when it comes to technology - their online platforms are vastly superior to other services. Where they falter is interfacing with outside corporate entities who have profit as their essential bottom line. Unlike the Irish government & Apple they can't risk being seen to favour any partner over others!

The BBC isn't state-owned - it exists as an independent entity funded through a licence fee. It does operate commercial arms (eg..BBC America, etc).

Tomatoh / Tomahto. Anything established by government, operating under an agreement with government, is regulated by government, has its fees set by government, and is funded by a mandatory fee (aka a hypothecated tax) on every citizen who owns a TV, is "state owned" in my humble opinion. YMMV.

I said BBC collaboration would not be required for a Squeezebox style iPlayer feature inside Sonos. I've said nothing about this feature you are now talking about, so please stop putting words into my mouth. I don't even know what this Spotify announcement is, so have no thoughts at all on what it might mean for the BBC.

Good thing, because you were 100% wrong in your former statement. I shudder to think what kind of limb you'd be out on if you commented on the latter.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I don't know how hard it is, and only sonos know why they gave up on "play to sonos". But it appears to me that google carried on with it, with I would guess a bigger development team and budget, and released the GCA with wifi multiroom streaming.
Guess sonos where busy wasting 2 years development on an external speaker, they then shelved, then let the team go ;O)
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
[Actually, the BBC are very innovative when it comes to technology - their online platforms are vastly superior to other services. Where they falter is interfacing with outside corporate entities who have profit as their essential bottom line. Unlike the Irish government & Apple they can't risk being seen to favour any partner over others!

Tomatoh / Tomahto. Anything established by government, operates under an agreement with government, is regulated by government, has its fees set by government, and is funded by a mandatory fee (aka a hypothecated tax) on every citizen who owns a TV, is "state owned" in my humble opinion. YMMV.

Then all the automobiles running on US highways fall into that definition .... it's not so ideological here in Europe where people are happy to accept 'state-entities' as long as they provide good services and facilities at reasonable prices. Still, we're getting off-topic.

I think the main moan from BBC fans with Sonos is that the Tunein experience of listen again is pretty dire
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Plus the iplayer radio app is a stylish GUI, with great visuals, with a search that can be trusted.
I don't know how hard it is, and only sonos know why they gave up on "play to sonos". But it appears to me that google carried on with it, with I would guess a bigger development team and budget, and released the GCA with wifi multiroom streaming.
Guess sonos where busy wasting 2 years development on an external speaker, they then shelved, then let the team go ;O)

Stop being so obtuse. You stated as fact the BBC's job is done, when you yourself posted a thread asking for what happened to this capability, and it was explained to you that the preferred type of casting (and the one you were asking about) had the following requirement: "the apps would each need new coding to be capable of doing this."

In short, for the BBC and any other service wanting direct casting to Sonos, it is not the case that "surely their job is done".
Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Good thing, because you were 100% wrong in your former statement. I shudder to think what kind of limb you'd be out on if you commented on the latter.

Except that it's already been done, without any BBC collaboration, for Squeezebox. Interesting definition of 100% wrong.
Then all the automobiles running on US highways fall into that definition .... it's not so ideological here in Europe where people are happy to accept 'state-entities' as long as they provide good services and facilities at reasonable prices. Still, we're getting off-topic.

I think the main moan from BBC fans with Sonos is that the Tunein experience of listen again is pretty dire

Like I said, Tomatoh / Tomahto. Not the first time, nor will it be the last, that Brits and Americans disagree about something. Cheers! 😃

Except that it's already been done, without any BBC collaboration, for Squeezebox. Interesting definition of 100% wrong.

I said you were 100% wrong when you said Sonos could do it without collaboration with the BBC. So time to put up or shut up. Prove to me that Logitech themselves made a BBC iPlayer plugin without the permission or cooperation of the BBC.