Question

BBC RADIO

VERY UPSET THAT I AM UNABLE TO PLAY BBC I PLAYER CONTENT.

LISTEN TO THE RADIO A LOT AND WAS TOLD I WOULD BE ABLE TO WHEN I PURCHASED THE SYSTEM.

WOULD NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE WHO LISTENS TO I PLAYER TO BUY THE SYSTEM

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

139 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

There absolutely is one. A simple google will confirm that. I don't know why you may have heard differently.

Correct, simple check of the Waybackmachine which shows an official Logitech Mysqueezebox.com BBC App available. https://web.archive.org/web/20100129100859/http://www.mysqueezebox.com/index/Home

Why Sonos didn't bother developing one (or wasn't allowed to do so) is anyone's guess. . Can't wait for Sonos to add voice control to my SqueezeboxSonos system lol.

No need to go back in time. The BBC app is still available - but it's only the live mp3 streams. No listen again.
Awww, someone said the magic words and *poof* they appear! It's like Beetlejuice!

Enjoying yourself, pal?

His/her only interest is arguing and berating you. As a Sonos customer it is unfortunate they tolerate this anti social nonesense, but with over 10k posts I assume they endorse it.

Enjoying yourself, pal?

I assure you it was not directed at you. There have been no personal attacks from you, unlike from some others.

There absolutely is one. A simple google will confirm that. I don't know why you may have heard differently.

Correct, simple check of the Waybackmachine which shows an official Logitech Mysqueezebox.com BBC App available. https://web.archive.org/web/20100129100859/http://www.mysqueezebox.com/index/Home

Why Sonos didn't bother developing one (or wasn't allowed to do so) is anyone's guess. . Can't wait for Sonos to add voice control to my SqueezeboxSonos system lol.

No need to go back in time. The BBC app is still available - but it's only the live mp3 streams. No listen again.

Thanks I'm not in the UK and don't see the app when I log in to the site.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Lots of activity here guys, and we love seeing the suggestions and comments but I want to make sure to remind everyone that as the conversation heats up we remember to keep it friendly. There's no need to attack anyone here for any reason.

On the topic at hand, there's no official news we can share about adding iPlayer support to Sonos right now. I've made sure to pass on all the feedback here to the team, but as others have said, whenever we build an integration with a music service it's a partnership. Neither side does all the work, and neither side can do all the work. We have the music service api available for anyone to start using to develop their service for Sonos, but once that's started we work together to add the service to Sonos.

Thanks for jumping into the conversation everyone, and again, please remember to keep this space welcoming.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Thanks I'm not in the UK and don't see the app when I log in to the site.

It's not geo-restricted . you should see it listed.
Back to my original issue of BBC skipping ...BBC radio hasn't skipped for over a week now so either BBC or Sonos has done something to fix it, did take the shine off it for a few months though. ~If the comms had been better it wouldn't have been such an issue.
Badge
So, can we see the output of the consultation Sonos has had with the bbc? Obviously, playing such a key role in british culture Sonos would want to actively engage the bbc inorder to provide what would reasonably be expected by the uk consumer, right? Maybe if Sonos would communicate this postion it would refocus the attention of the lobbyists on the bbc and maybe some progress would be made. As it stands, bbc iplayer is seen as the standars that sonos fails to meet. Right or wrong, the onus is on sonos (rhymes!!) To drive resolution, either dirextly my more actively seeking cooperation with the bbc or indirectly by making it clear to thise who desire the service that it is the bbc who are dragging their heels. Simply saying that the request has been passed on to the development team, the standard line given on posts dating back over 3 years, is getting tired and stinks of a customer service group who doesnt really care. Even if this isnt true, it really does come accrias that way. Maybe sonos could organise some kind of protest to lobby the bbc, if that is where the fault lies.

To be clear, lack of access to bbc radio channels and the full suite of catch up shows is a serious degradation to the expectations of most potential uk customers.

To be clear, lack of access to bbc radio channels and the full suite of catch up shows is a serious degradation to the expectations of most potential uk customers.

It would be good to see iPlayer on Sonos, but as a former Sonos reseller I can promise you that in three years of trading not one potential customer asked me about iPlayer and not one actual customer expressed disappointment to me at its absence. I have at least 15 friends / colleagues / acquaintances with Sonos systems, none of whom really cares about this issue. (Although many value live BBC radio.)

The hyperbole concerning the importance of iPlayer to the UK Sonos buying market is completely unjustified. Leaving aside the technical issues that have affected some users and which have caused understandable frustration, I don't know what you mean by "lack of access to BBC radio channels"
So, can we see the output of the consultation Sonos has had with the bbc? Obviously, playing such a key role in british culture Sonos would want to actively engage the bbc inorder to provide what would reasonably be expected by the uk consumer, right? Maybe if Sonos would communicate this postion it would refocus the attention of the lobbyists on the bbc and maybe some progress would be made.

There is no way Sonos is going to say anything out of turn in regards to a music service. Period. Expecting Sonos to reveal conversations between itself and current/future content partners is pie-in-the-sky absurdity.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
bbc Iplayer radio app has recently changed and is a pleasure to use.
I think old sonos users do not miss what they have never had. I bet if you where in currys with a potential new sonos buyer and said "hey this doesn't work with bbc iplayer radio" they would buy something else that did.
Iam hoping Alexa will be the way around this, if so a sale that sonos could have had instead.
I bet if you where in currys with a potential new sonos buyer and said "hey this doesn't work with bbc iplayer radio" they would buy something else that did..
Not if you were equally informative about the competition, e.g. "These Bose speakers sound terrible"

Not if you were equally informative about the competition, e.g. "These Bose speakers sound terrible"

And are on their third redesign in the same amount of years, had to abandon AirPlay because it can't be made reliable, you can only use the iPlayer app over Bluetooth which requires the phone/tablet to be on and streaming, has reliability and range problems, degrades sound quality, and kills the phones battery.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12

And are on their third redesign in the same amount of years, had to abandon AirPlay because it can't be made reliable, you can only use the iPlayer app over Bluetooth which requires the phone/tablet to be on and streaming, has reliability and range problems, degrades sound quality, and kills the phones battery.

The Bose offerings are over-hyped. No airplay, not DLNA/upnp compatible. The choice of streamers which can adequately handle iPlayer features is almost zero.