Question

BBC RADIO

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

139 replies

It's a good thing when you get new features quickly, and a good thing when you get an iPlayer plugin that Sonos doesn't do. It's a bad thing when you have to keep updating things yourself to keep stuff working.

When I used to peruse the Squeeze forums way back when, the latter was far more common than the former, and the former often broke more than it added. We hilariously once compared the first page of issues on both, and the Sonos page was full of things like "When am I going to get a Thumbs Up function in Pandora" and the Squeeze had dozens of threads with titles like "My sync is off when playing from the BBC" or "The latest update bricked my Transporter." It was quite laughable, especially when the Penguin guy came on and started defending his baby.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4

It's a good thing when you get new features quickly, and a good thing when you get an iPlayer plugin that Sonos doesn't do. It's a bad thing when you have to keep updating things yourself to keep stuff working.

When I used to peruse the Squeeze forums way back when, the latter was far more common than the former, and the former often broke more than it added. We hilariously once compared the first page of issues on both for a and aside from a couple install hiccups, the Sonos page was full of things like "When am I going to get a Thumbs Up function in Pandora" and the Squeeze was had dozens of threads with titles like "My sync is off when playing from the BBC" or "The latest update bricked my Transporter." It was quite laughable, especially when the Penguin guy came on and started defending his baby.

It's free. A Sonos Connect costs almost £300. I'd expect the user experience and configuration to be better.
Please name those comparable systems with iPlayer built in

It's the job of Sonos to do this, not the BBC. iPlayer support comes as standard on just about any vaguely comparable equipment - Sonos is the odd one out here.

Name one third party multi-room streamer that has iPlayer built into their app (and actually sells their hardware with a logo on the front, lol). Just one.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Please name those comparable systems.

for example - my humax setop box. iPlayer feature with listen again.
It's free. A Sonos Connect costs almost £300. I'd expect the user experience and configuration to be better.

I said "way back when" meaning back before Squeeze went under, and the hardware most certainly wasn't free back then! Matter of fact, the Transporter I mentioned cost thousands, not $350! 🙂
Userlevel 3
Badge +4

It's the job of Sonos to do this, not the BBC. iPlayer support comes as standard on just about any vaguely comparable equipment - Sonos is the odd one out here.

Name one third party multi-room streamer that has iPlayer built into their app (and actually sells their hardware with a logo on the front, lol). Just one.

My Panasonic PVR.

My Panasonic PVR.

So now a video streamer is comparable to a multi-room audio system and a PVR is a third party multi-room streamer ? Really?
They are not vaguely comparable and you know it. This is now troll-like behaviour on your part and I'm outta here.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I said "way back when" meaning back before Squeeze went under, and the hardware most certainly wasn't free back then! Matter of fact, the Transporter I mentioned cost thousands, not $350! :)

Right - and I wouldn't be too happy with that as a paying customer either. I only got into Squeezebox when it became free, because the cost of the Sonos ZP90 was prohibitive.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14

It shows that Logitech saw fit to do whatever was needed, and that Sonos could do - again, if they thought it was commercially savvy to do so.

So what do you propose they do (and how do you know they haven't done it?). And don't say throw money at them. Sonos has steadfastly maintained they are service neutral when it comes to fees and licensing.

On the other hand, how many posts do you have in the BBC forum asking them to take advantage of the free Sonos Music Partners API which would allow them to incorporate their content into the Sonos app? Wouldn't that be the best place to start when it comes to campaigning? After all, you can't really ask Sonos to do more than allowing a service to include themselves for free, can you? Something about horses and water comes to mind . . .

That's not quite the case - iPlayer (video) is standard on many smart TVs but not on audio systems - most of which depend on Tunein or Vtuner
Userlevel 3
Badge +4

So now a video streamer is comparable to a multi-room audio system? Really?

They are both devices that connect to a network and play content. Both can play music stored on disk on my local network, and from Spotify. Of course they are vaguely comparable. Vaguely comparable doesn't mean 'the same'.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
They are not vaguely comparable and you know it. This is now troll-like behaviour on your part and I'm outta here.

See my previous answer. I'm not trolling at all.
A completely hassle free experience for $350 vs a "free" system one has to devote many hours to get working and keep working. My time is valuable, a no brainer for me.

They are both devices that connect to a network and play content. Both can play music stored on disk on my local network, and from Spotify. Of course they are vaguely comparable. Vaguely comparable doesn't mean 'the same'.

Nobody asked for "vaguely comparable", we asked for comparable (actually I asked you to name another multi-room streamer). The fact you have to add the word "vaguely", not to mention your fellow Squeeze fan agrees with us, means you should probably drop this conversation. It's not standard on audio streamers, at all.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
A completely hassle free experience for $350 vs a "free" system one has to devote many hours to get working and keep working. My time is valuable, a no brainer for me.

Lucky you - not everyone has got £1000+ to spend on this sort of stuff. Plus there are still advantages to a SB system that Sonos hasn't (and probably never will) caught up with.
Hmmm. When will Squeezebox have voice control, again? Apple Music?
Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Nobody asked for "vaguely comparable", we asked for comparable (actually I asked you to name another multi-room streamer). The fact you have to add the word "vaguely", not to mention your fellow Squeeze fan agrees with us, means you should probably drop this conversation. It's not standard on audio streamers, at all.

JohnB asked me to name 'comparable' systems yes - but my original post (if you care to look) said 'vaguely comparable'.

Even systems that don't do any iplayer feature directly can still at least play via Airplay, or some such similar tech. Sonos doesn't even have this capability.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Hmmm. When will Squeezebox have voice control, again? Apple Music?

huh? I've never said SB is better than Sonos. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Stop being so childish and tribal about it. We are not 10 year olds arguing over Megadrive v SNES.

JohnB asked me to name 'comparable' systems yes - but my original post (if you care to look) said 'vaguely comparable'.

Even systems that don't do any iplayer feature directly can still at least play via Airplay, or some such similar tech. Sonos doesn't even have this capability.

We both noticed your vaguely qualifier, thus why we removed it from our criteria, lest we have to put up with nonsense answers about video streamers and PVRs. Alas, it didn't work. ;)

As to other tech, Sonos rightfully decided not to directly support Airplay and its tripling of bandwidth, through the phone, no multi-room architecture, which Bose finally abandoned after the third re-engineering of their multi-room streamer in 3 years. Same with Sonos and Bluetooth; with its lossy sound quality and lack of range. Though Sonos is a leading partner in developing an a truly modern and flexible wireless casting method, starting with the new Spotify announcement; with Pandora to follow. Perhaps the BBC can be convinced to make use of that? But then again, it would require cooperation from the BBC, something you claim isn't needed. It may also require posting these types of laments over at the BBC, something you seem so reluctant to do.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
OMG - chromecast is surely what we want.
Google play music can select either sonos or GCA devices to cast to on android.
BBC iplayer radio can cast to GCA...but cannot see sonos, it can't be rocket science to make sonos appear :O)) , job done......
Userlevel 6
Badge +14

It may also require posting these types of laments over at the BBC, something you seem so reluctant to do.

Well, good luck with that. If anything, the BBC is even more obscure about developments than Sonos! They took a pasting last year over the Audio Factory fiasco from users on their blog ... they essentially shut the discussion down, and went their own way.

Well, good luck with that. If anything, the BBC is even more obscure about developments than Sonos! They took a pasting last year over the Audio Factory fiasco from users on their blog ... they essentially shut the discussion down, and went their own way.

I've heard they can be a bit provincial, not to mention a little ornery. State owned and operated media can be like that. I work for a state run entity that actually makes a profit, but if you could see the antiquated hardware and processes I have to put up with, you'd think we were running at a deficit. The phrase "good enough for government work" applies, with "good enough" usually meaning no modern hardware or software gets introduced until you can't buy the old stuff anymore. I had a tape drive (Yes! A tape drive!) break down yesterday and I swear they are going to have to dig in the big warehouse where they stored the Ark of the Covenant to find a replacement. In private industry, the average life of the systems I use is 6 years, we are going on 18 and counting with ours. It wasn't that long ago that we finally abandoned 9-tracks for our data transfers. I imagine the BBC has the same sort of bureaucratic paralysis when it comes to embracing new technology.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
The BBC have embraced casting from their app, surely their job is done, and sonos needs to join the casting party with more than just GPM app on android.
We soon will have spotify, then Pandora.. so it has started at least.
The BBC have embraced casting from their app, surely their job is done, and sonos needs to join the casting party with more than just GPM app on android.
We soon will have spotify, then Pandora.. so it has started at least.

You know it's not that simple, as was explained to you by a Sonos rep in the thread "RYAN - what happened to "play on sonos""

You rang? 🙂

Those are some great questions Paul and yes, we don't talk about roadmaps generally so there isn't too much we can share here. That article is from October 2013, and it hints on the work we were doing with Google for their integration with Google Play Music on Sonos with direct Android streaming (released April 2014). We do love the work done there and it's safe to say that we'd love to see improved integration with all our services. We don't have any official announcements right now to add however.

To directly answer your questions:

Wouldn't this overcome problems with bbc iplayer podcasts, Audible etc ?
Like chromecast casting to sonos from more than just GPM on android?
Will Alexa type voice control work through native apps like "play on sonos"?

1. To a degree, being able to play through any app to Sonos could overcome a lot of problems from the software view of things. On the technical side of things it gets a bit trickier. Without going too far into it, it really depends on the technology you're using for the direct control. If the audio is being sent from the controller itself it adds one batch of variables that can decrease quality. But if the controller is directing the players on where to go to play the music instead (which is how our Google Play integration works), the apps would each need new coding to be capable of doing this.

2. I think I tied this in on my answer to 1.

3. "Could" is probably a better question than "will". The answer there is possibly. There's a lot of question marks and variables to this so I really can't answer it very well. We don't have any plans or news to announce right now on either voice control or "play on Sonos".

Speaking generally now, there's a lot to discuss around the idea of native control from other apps. For example, what level of control can an outside app have on Sonos, and how much would someone want to swap between the two apps. Using Google as an example, right now you can select what you'd like to play in the Google app, and choose the Sonos group to have it play to. But, from that app you can't make a group or send any system commands beyond very basic play controls. Depending on what you'd like to do, it has a lot of back and forth between apps. I think it's great for one person listening on their own in a room, but not great for multi-room.

With any development or change to how you control Sonos we push to make the experience just right. I posted this earlier, but I'd like to re-iterate it for any who might have missed this:

We completely agree that listening to music at home should be super easy. We strive to make the time between when you think of music to when music starts playing to be as quick as possible. For these reasons, we are also big believers in the future of voice to control your music (and other stuff) at home. We are hard at work on a bunch of different projects to make this future a reality.

PS, I'm going to clean up the thread a bit to remove the off topic posts. Let's all try to get along and keep threads on topic, without the sarcasm and jabs.