Question

BBC RADIO

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

139 replies

Lol
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
As I said. NOBODY has said an integrated iPlayer is not possible. Also it is quite likely that Sonos have made the BBC aware of the feedback they get to have an integrated iPlayer Radio within Sonos but as I said because the BBC is funded by PUBLIC money it is highly doubtful they would devote resources to make that happen no matter how much pressure Sonos or some listeners place on them.

you think the BBC devoted resources to make it work in Squeezebox? Of course they didn't
It's not just a technical issue but, I imagine, a legal one. Not worth the BBC worrying about a community written plug in to a defunct and dying system. Sonos is rather different.

You imagine. You're wrong.

Actually, he is 100% correct. Although there is no technical reason why they can't do it, BBC distribution licensing prevents Sonos from unilaterally accessing BBC content for play on its systems. Unlike a plugin for Squeezebox, which was written by a guy in their basement with no big pockets to go after, Sonos has big pockets. If they were to do the same as the guy in their basement, the BBC would be on them with a lawsuit before the ink dried on the beta announcement. It's the same reason why some guy in their basement can put out SonosPlay, breaking the AirPlay decryption in violation of the DMCA and other laws, and Sonos cannot. Apple or the BBC just aren't going to waste their time on a little guy, but they will sue the pants off the billion dollar company.

Bottom line? Sonos needs the permission and the cooperation of the BBC to utilize any of their content outside of the already available TuneIn streams. Also, given Sonos' long standing Music Partners Program which allows any service access to their API, the BBC would be able to add themselves for free if they would only do so. So far they have answered "No." to both scenarios.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
When will fans of the dead Squeezebox understand it's dead because of its openness? Doh!

It's not dead, it's just resting.....................................

It's open source software that runs on all sorts of platforms. It's only dead when people stop writing stuff for it.

you think the BBC devoted resources to make it work in Squeezebox? Of course they didn't

And they also wouldn't devote resources to sue the guy who wrote the plugin because he has nothing to sue. Sonos on the other hand . . .
Userlevel 3
Badge +4

And they also wouldn't devote resources to sue the guy who wrote the plugin because he has nothing to sue. Sonos on the other hand . . .

There is/was also an official Logitech iPlayer app, that's not obviously not supported and is defunct. Logitech were obviously able to do it.... Sonos could do it if they thought it was commercially wise. They obviously think it's not.

It's open source software that runs on all sorts of platforms. It's only dead when people stop writing stuff for it.

I find it laughable that the "Squeeze isn't dead!! Long live Squeeze!" folks say nonsense like this out of one side of their mouth, and are begging for Sonos to release their pet feature out of the other.

Seriously, if Squeeze isn't dead, and it is so superior, why exactly are you here?
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
When will fans of the dead Squeezebox understand it's dead because of its openness? Doh!

Utter tosh.

I have a Squeezebox system with the following speakers all playing local music, internet radio, streaming services. Controllable by PC, apps, and dedicated controllers. If something goes awry, the open nature of the underlying system means a fix is usually available within hours. Similarly, system updates are available on a frequent basis.

[UPnPBridge - 2 paired Sonos Play1 speakers; Rocki - Sony SRS-BTM8 speaker; Pioneer WX-SMA1 speaker; - PURE One Flow internet radio:2 paired PURE Jongo S3x ; 2 paired Jongo T2; Libratone Zipp
Castbridge - Chromecast 1 + Chromecast Audio
AirplayBridge - Loewe Airspeaker; Joggler airplay
SB Player - Fire TV)
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

It was a joke. If your head wasn't buried half way up your Squeezebox you'd have realised that.

Just Google "It's not dead, it's resting"

There is/was also an official Logitech iPlayer app, that's not obviously not supported and is defunct. Logitech were obviously able to do it.... Sonos could do it if they thought it was commercially wise. They obviously think it's not.

If there was an official Logitech plugin (I've always heard very differently, so I take your statement with a big grain of salt) then it was done with the full permission and cooperation of the BBC. If it was done without the full permission and cooperation, then it was just a guy in his basement. That's how licensing works (and how Logitech was able to skirt around laws by using OS software).
Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I find it laughable that the "Squeeze isn't dead!! Long live Squeeze!" folks say nonsense like this out of one side of their mouth, and are begging for Sonos to release their pet feature out of the other.

Seriously, if Squeeze isn't dead, and it is so superior, why exactly are you here?

I'm not interested in starting a platform war. As it's open source, it requires more fiddling and technical knowledge to setup and update. There are things it does better than Sonos (iPlayer, controllers, cost - £20 Raspberry Pi v £200 Connect), but Sonos is slicker and easier to setup, and implements Spotify integration better. Both systems are great for what they are. I'd like Sonos to be more great, that's all.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4

If there was an official Logitech plugin (I've always heard very differently, so I take your statement with a big grain of salt) then it was done with the full permission and cooperation of the BBC.

There absolutely is one. A simple google will confirm that. I don't know why you may have heard differently.
If something goes awry, the open nature of the underlying system means a fix is usually available within hours. Similarly, system updates are available on a frequent basis..

It always amazed me when Squeeze folks used to tout this as a good thing. What's so good about the fact they have to constantly release fixes or updates in order to keep the thing running? "Load the latest beta from an hour and a half ago and it will be fine" is not something I want to hear when I want to listen to my music (and was seen so often on the Squeeze forums it may as well have been a macro).
Userlevel 3
Badge +4

It was a joke. If your head wasn't buried half way up your Squeezebox you'd have realised that.

Just Google "It's not dead, it's resting"

Sorry, didn't get the joke. Not familiar with that sketch. My head is hardly buried up my Squeezebox, I have spent more money on Sonos equipment that SB stuff.

There absolutely is one. A simple google will confirm that. I don't know why you may have heard differently.

You may be correct, I don't spend very much time investigating individual plugins for Squeezebox. It still says nothing about Sonos being able to unilaterally access BBC content without the permission and cooperation of the BBC.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
If ]something goes awry, the open nature of the underlying system means a fix is usually available within hours. Similarly, system updates are available on a frequent basis..

It always amazed me when Squeeze folks used to tout this as a good thing. What's so good about the fact they have to constantly release fixes or updates in order to keep the thing running? "Load the latest beta from an hour and a half ago and it will be fine" is not something I want to hear when I want to listen to my music (and was seen so often on the Squeeze forums it may as well have been a macro).

It's not a good thing in itself, just a side effect of it being open source - the other side effect being that it's incredibly cheap.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4

You may be correct, I don't append very much time investigating individual plugins for Squeezebox. It still says nothing about Sonos being able to unilaterally access BBC content without the permission and cooperation of the BBC.

It shows that Logitech saw fit to do whatever was needed, and that Sonos could do - again, if they thought it was commercially savvy to do so.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
If ]something goes awry, the open nature of the underlying system means a fix is usually available within hours. Similarly, system updates are available on a frequent basis..

What's so good about the fact they have to constantly release fixes or updates in order to keep the thing running?

99% of the updates in the last year have been improvements or added features. Furthermore, users who don't wish to update a working' system, have the choice to stay on whatever version they use.. For example, the Beeb have already moved on from HLS to DASH (a feature of which is to timeskip live streams). It took Sonos a year to implement HLS and even then they are utterly dependent on Tunein to get the streams.

It shows that Logitech saw fit to do whatever was needed, and that Sonos could do - again, if they thought it was commercially savvy to do so.

So what do you propose they do (and how do you know they haven't done it?). And don't say throw money at them. Sonos has steadfastly maintained they are service neutral when it comes to fees and licensing.

On the other hand, how many posts do you have in the BBC forum asking them to take advantage of the free Sonos Music Partners API which would allow them to incorporate their content into the Sonos app? Wouldn't that be the best place to start when it comes to campaigning? After all, you can't really ask Sonos to do more than allowing a service to include themselves for free, can you? Something about horses and water comes to mind . . .
A thread from 2010, hilariously revealing the complex machinations poor unsuspecting Squeezebox owners had to endure, shows that the iplayer was an unapproved plugin, meaning not sourced by Logitech. Perhaps there was an earlier approved version that disappeared? Dunno.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BBC-listen-again-Squeezebox-Radio/forum/Fx37FYO9XTJA9RB/Tx3UBR7S5BH4ACT/1/ref=cm_cd_naredir?_encoding=UTF8&_encoding=UTYU&asin=B002N2YZYU&ref_=cm_cd_naredir

It's not a good thing in itself, just a side effect of it being open source - the other side effect being that it's incredibly cheap.

No, I'm pretty sure the Squeeze fans used to list it as a good thing.

99% of the updates in the last year have been improvements or added features. Furthermore, users who don't wish to update a working' system, have the choice to stay on whatever version they use.. For example, the Beeb have already moved on from HLS to DASH (a feature of which is to timeskip live streams). It took Sonos a year to implement HLS and even then they are utterly dependent on Tunein to get the streams.

^^Why, there's one right now!
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
A thread from 2010, hilariously revealing the complex machinations poor unsuspecting Squeezebox owners had to endure, shows that the iplayer was an unapproved plugin, meaning not sourced by Logitech. Perhaps there was an earlier approved version that disappeared? Dunno.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BBC-listen-again-Squeezebox-Radio/forum/Fx37FYO9XTJA9RB/Tx3UBR7S5BH4ACT/1/ref=cm_cd_naredir?_encoding=UTF8&_encoding=UTYU&asin=B002N2YZYU&ref_=cm_cd_naredir

There is/was an official Logitech plugin, and a 3rd party unofficial plugin as well.

I'm sure this has been fixed by now. Just load the latest beta from 10:05 EST and you will be right as rain! 😃
Userlevel 3
Badge +4

No, I'm pretty sure the Squeeze fans used to list it as a good thing.

^^Why, there's one right now!

It's a good thing when you get new features quickly, and a good thing when you get an iPlayer plugin that Sonos doesn't do. It's a bad thing when you have to keep updating things yourself to keep stuff working.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4

So what do you propose they do (and how do you know they haven't done it?). And don't say throw money at them. Sonos has steadfastly maintained they are service neutral when it comes to fees and licensing.

On the other hand, how many posts do you have in the BBC forum asking them to take advantage of the free Sonos Music Partners API which would allow them to incorporate their content into the Sonos app? Wouldn't that be the best place to start when it comes to campaigning? After all, you can't really ask Sonos to do more than allowing a service to include themselves for free, can you? Something about horses and water comes to mind . . .

It's the job of Sonos to do this, not the BBC. iPlayer support comes as standard on just about any vaguely comparable equipment - Sonos is the odd one out here.