BBC Radio 1, 2, 3 & 4

Userlevel 2
Has anyone figured out a way to get BBC Radio Stations 1,2,3 &4 through the Sonos system?

3 replies

Unfortunately that will require real audio support (as this is the only format BBC 1, 2 , 3 and 4 stream in). You will see in the various threads this is a much requested future software upgrade.

Fingers crossed we get a positive message from Sonos shortly.

If not, there has been some discussion of maybe coming up with a thin server solution, i.e. have a PC convert the real audio stream and relay it in MP3 or something. I don't think anybody has had success with this yet. This solution would require a PC to be always on. Doesn't sound particularly elegant.

This is unfortunately one of the biggest downers so far with the system. You can however get BBC 5 (Talk and sport) and BBC 6 (Alternative Music), as they broadcast in supported format.

In general most European stations do stream in Real Audio only, so hopefully it proves to be impossible for Sonos not to support going forward.
Userlevel 2
I can play any BBC Radio station through Sonos, but I cannot control the radio stream using the Sonos controller.

I have the wonderful "BBC Radio" widget running on the Dashboard of my Mac with OS X Tiger. I can set this widget playing a particular BBC radio station (the widget has them all, including regional stations) and then, with my Mac connected to a Sonos Zone Player as a Line In source I can play that source anywhere in the house.

Obviously the downside is that my Mac is constantly streaming BBC Radio, and I have to pre-select which channel to listen to around the house (no-brainer for me - Radio 4 every time). It also means that whenever I'm at the computer with the sound turned up, I have BBC Radio streaming.

Still, it's a start. I have no idea if there's an equivalent application to stream the various BBC Radio stations on a PC, but I suspect there is.

Cheers!

Unfortunately that will require real audio support (as this is the only format BBC 1, 2 , 3 and 4 stream in). You will see in the various threads this is a much requested future software upgrade.

Fingers crossed we get a positive message from Sonos shortly.

If not, there has been some discussion of maybe coming up with a thin server solution, i.e. have a PC convert the real audio stream and relay it in MP3 or something. I don't think anybody has had success with this yet. This solution would require a PC to be always on. Doesn't sound particularly elegant.

This is unfortunately one of the biggest downers so far with the system. You can however get BBC 5 (Talk and sport) and BBC 6 (Alternative Music), as they broadcast in supported format.

In general most European stations do stream in Real Audio only, so hopefully it proves to be impossible for Sonos not to support going forward.
Userlevel 2
I do something similar actually.

I have a Sky box attached to my Sonos, and this is tuned to the BBC stations which I have marked as favorties.

The Sky box is connected to the Line In Socket on the ZP.

Seems to work fine :-)

No idea - but a work around.

I'm sure SONOS will come up trumps eventually regarding this though.

Celtic

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings