BBC iPlayer. An easy workaround for OSx users.

• 8 September 2018
  • 6 replies

Badge
Some time ago I spent a deal of time trying to play directly from my iPlayer web page to the Sonos speakers.

All threads on this topic seem to sink to a kind of blame game between Sonos 'fanboyz' and customers who just want to be able to use a speaker.

I still cannot see why the Sonos controller can't just stream whatever you are playing on your desktop because, for example, BBC iPlayer on screen has many more features than most streaming services and hence a desktop version of 'play direct from this device' would be really useful.

Having added an Alexa enabled device, (A Sonos One) all I have to do to use player over the Sonos is to link the Sonos 1 to whatever speakers I require to play and then on the OSX desktop I can see The Sonos one listed as an output device from the speaker icon at the top of the screen. Click on that and bingo, everything works as it should.

This means I can browse the BBC schedules, play stuff that is only available in the UK, play podcasts that I can't see in through the Sonos Apps (for some reason), skip back and forth in the current programme and loads of other stuff that Sonos just won't do. Well done Apple I say. Why Sonos could not do this years ago I have no idea.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
aren't you actually using airplay2? from within bbc iplayer?
Badge
No, I can direct any sound playing on my laptop speakers to redirect to Sonos. I am not using ani player App here, just the web page.
Badge
I may be using 'airplay' whatever that is. So far as I, as a user is concerned. I just have this thing available which does what I want and it is just there within my normal computer usage. I appreciate that I have the luxury of an OSx computer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Yeah I think as you are using OSx, whatever that is, that you are using apple airplay2 direct to the sonos one that supports airplay2. Older sonos devices do not.
Iam hoping that when google assistant arrives, I will be able to cast to my sonos speakers from a windows laptop or android tablet.
Badge
I kind of figured that it was a feature that was only on the Sonos One since that is the only one that appears as an option in the volume control. Also, if I go into 'settings' it is labelled as Airplay. It does seem to be a solution for me, to the BBC iPlayer problem.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
If you group your other sonos devices with the sonos one, then they will all play the same music together. You can then mute the sonos one if you want no sound from it.