Question

BBC iPlayer

• 25 April 2017
  • 50 replies

Does iPlayer work via Sonos?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

50 replies

Userlevel 2
All BBC Radio stations are available to stream through the radioplayer app in the UK which is compatible with Sonos. So I can listen to 6 Music (essential for me!) using this app on my phone through wifi.

Would love to how you listen to stuff on your iplayer app through any Sonos wirelessly. I can play through the iplayer app and output through a bluetooth speaker easily.

But I can't output through Sonos - which remains stubbornly incompatible with iplayer radio.

All other manufacturers of consumer electronics that I can think of manage to get along fine with the BBC e.g. Sony, LG, Panasonic, Toshiba, Hisense, Google (through apps and Chromecast), Apple, tiny OEM suppliers, creators of any web browser etc etc etc.

Simply ridiculous that Sonos remains alone in failing to support iplayer.
Really simple. Just add the 'radioplayer' app to your Sonos app. On my phone, once in the Sonos app I click on 'more' at the bottom and then click on 'add music services'. Loads to choose from like Spotify, Amazon Music etc. Scroll down to 'radioplayer' and add it. That's it. You can then choose your favourite radio stations (not just bbc) by clicking 'add to my sonos' and in future when you open your Sonos app they'll be there on your home 'My Sonos' page. Hope that works for you!
Userlevel 2
Thank you!

That's so much easier than TuneIn.

Just need to get the iPlayer app in that list now!

Thanks again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Simply ridiculous that Sonos remains alone in failing to support iplayer.

If you had bothered to read the thread you would know that it is not sonos preventing this. It requires the BBC to work with sonos, which they haven't done yet. Sonos has an api ready. Presumably the BBC is working more on Android, iOS and windows versions first, and needs to perfect those first.
Userlevel 2
Not sure about that. How come all the other manufacturers have managed to work with the BBC?

Is there a link or evidence that the delay is with the BBC?

The BBC are generally keen to work with 3rd parties, evidenced by the fact that you can get an iPlayer app across any other platform I can think of... And have been able to for years. Sonos is the glaring exception.

It's been several years now. So where is the evidence it is the BBC who are holding out? And what would be the rationale? Samsung can do it, so why not Sonos.

I honestly haven't been able to find the evidence that the problem lies with the BBC and not Sonos.

Hence the frustration.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Most iplayer tv and other device apps are based on an android app. Sonos, unfortunately precedes this by some years. They have an open api which companies like Spotify have used to integrate. The bbc have chosen not to., at the moment. You cannot just create a stream from iplayer without bbc cooperation, unless you do it illegally of course. But hey have a vent at the innocent party.:8:
Userlevel 3
Badge
Sonos One should be able to stream directly from a device, like an iPhone or Android. That way, you could easily play iPlayer on the phone/iPad/whatever and Sonos One could pick it up. The implementation Sonos have chosen, no Bluetooth support and no direct streaming from a device, is one of the reasons this and other streaming services are not supported.

The other thing, which is glaringly obvious, is that iPlayer works with any browser on any device. Sonos doesn't have 'browser' streaming capability in its software, but could easily do this by adding Webkit to its SDK.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos is adding Airplay2 later this year (so you will be able to via iPhone). They are also adding Google Home support later this year with the Sonos One (which may give you some type of support streaming via chromecast).
Userlevel 3
Badge
Sonos is adding Airplay2 later this year (so you will be able to via iPhone). They are also adding Google Home support later this year with the Sonos One (which may give you some type of support streaming via chromecast).

True, although no one knows when Airplay 2 is going to be ready, given Apple originally said it was supported in iOS11 (it isn't so far). Hopefully it's not September as rumored.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yea I have actually seen posts here complaining Sonos hasn’t implemented Airplay2 yet and they promised this year. I could just beat my head on desk.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Yea I have actually seen posts here complaining Sonos hasn’t implemented Airplay2 yet and they promised this year. I could just beat my head on desk.

To be fair, that's out of their hands... Apple hasn't implemented it yet. But there's no excuse for not having a standard browser audio playback capability in their app. The webkit capabilities are built into iOS and Android.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Not how Sonos has worked in past. It pulls from source not streamed from device.
Userlevel 3
Badge
To make this problem even worse, the Sonos app can't even find podcasts that ARE available on TuneIn (I can only see last week's episode on the Sonos App for a podcast, but TuneIn shows this week's episode.

This is exactly why people stick to their eco-systems - using Sonos always feels like a hack of some kind. Why can't I link to my TuneIn account with all my favorites and saved stations?

**edit, it appeared after quitting and re-opening the Sonos app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Ask tunein.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Ask tunein.

TuneIn is free... why is it their problem? Are you the forum's resident Sonos Apologist?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Because the tunein decides what Sonos can do. And you sir I can tell just want to be rude so best ridens to you. I won't bother to explain anything to you as you just want your way.
Userlevel 2
The mixed interoperability and inconsistent 3rd party support on Sonos is hugely frustrating. But worse is the lack of transparency as to why, in iPlayer's case, there is an issue at all.

I take solace in the fact that the competition and the market is moving quicker than Sonos now, so as their rivals deliver slicker products and services, Sonos will be forced to respond. Airplay2 and Alexa are good examples, and I dare say with Apple's R&D heft, Homepod will start shifting things too... ...in time.

At the end of the day, Sonos had a near monopoly on decent wireless music streaming 5 years ago. That's no longer the case.

In another five years will be interesting to see where Sonos is
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
You could also use a £15 chromecast audio to sonos line in, as above.

Does anyone else find it ridiculous that a £15 Chromecast can access iPlayer directly but a £499 Play 5 cant?
The Play:5 can. Attach a Chromecast. Try playing anything with just a Chromecast!

"The Play:5 can. Attach a Chormecast"
I think you will find that it is the Chormecast that is accessing the iPlayer not the Play 5 !

Try playing anything with just a Chromecast!
The OP said that it was ridiculous that a Chromecast can access the iPlayer directly whilst a Play 5 cannot. They did not say that a Chromecast could play anything (nor is it designed to!).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Register. You have a fundamental lack of looking at history of Sonos and why it was the only working reliable multiroom system for so long. At that means not streaming from your phone but playing network sources. The network sources have to open themselves up to Sonos (as bbc never has) for them to play on Sonos. Just like apps have to open up to be chromecast compatible (except in case of chromecast only on android can you steam from device like airplay for Apple).

Things have changed in the market but only so fast can Sonos change it’s architecture with out making compromises (look at what compromises they are making now to move forward in people complaining they are end of life on the cr100 controller because of updates).

Airplay2 coming this year (and don’t say Sonos dragging their feet as Apple hasn’t finished it yet). And with google home we may see some kind of chromecast ability. These things would satisfy your needs.

I like how everyone says these things are a no brained and Sonos is incompetent in their programming and these things can be done overnight. When Apple - one of the largest companies with largest base of programmers in the world is struggling and nearly 6 months behind in releasing their multiroom AirPlay software. Geez Apple it’s a no brainer why can’t you have it tomorrow! I could have done it in my. Basement over The Weeknd!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Complete lack of knowing how Sonos works or its history in pulling from sources not streaming from devices. Why they have been successful so long while where others failed. Reliability over flexibility. BBC is the one who has complete control of if it wants to open up its servers for Sonos to direct pull from them. And they have not - that’s on the Bbc. Even worse BBC arbitrary switched encryption skeems a few years back and made it completely incompatible with many devices inclusing Sonos (which had to work on for a good amount of time to bring support back)

Airolay2 and google home support later this year should address all the flexibility concerns. And there have always been flexible options with a device with input (including adding chromecast or blutooth single to Sonos input)

And I get sick of people saying these things are no brainer and Sonos programmers are idiots or something. Apple, one of the largest companies in the world, is about 6 months behind updating their airplay to multiroom. Come on Apple it’s a no brainer - as posters on the Sonos forum enjoy saying. I want reliability I don’t want a bunch of crap thrown together because some yahoo on a message board says he can do it in one weekend.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Because the tunein decides what Sonos can do. And you sir I can tell just want to be rude so best ridens to you. I won't bother to explain anything to you as you just want your way.

I'm not asking you to explain anything to me - I just don't see why this is TuneIn's problem. There seems to be a theme in this thread (and others) that the issue is with the third party. Ask Amazon, ask the BBC, ask TuneIn, as Apple, like nothing is Sonos' problem. I bought their product, it would be nice if they actually came out with some firm comments on some basic functionality. Not being able to stream audio from a website seems a big miss to me...

I bought a couple of Sonos devices because I thought it would give me more flexibility than Apple's eco system, but instead I'm even more constrained only by different (and apparently less accountable) companies.

Hence my frustration, and sorry for being rude, it's not your problem! You make some good points in your post above. I'm sure you can also understand that when people come to these forums they really want an authoritative answer, not a forum warrior defending the man (Apple's forums are 10x worse BTW... 🙂 )
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
If using AirPlay1 to Sonos helps you while Sonos & Appler are working on AirPlay2, you can use this https://github.com/philippe44/AirConnect which will let you stream to Sonos speakers using any iXXX device/controller
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Sonos One should be able to stream directly from a device, like an iPhone or Android. That way, you could easily play iPlayer on the phone/iPad/whatever and Sonos One could pick it up. The implementation Sonos have chosen, no Bluetooth support and no direct streaming from a device, is one of the reasons this and other streaming services are not supported.
And this is also one of the reasons that Sonos works so well. If you just want a BT speaker, that’s what you should buy.

Airplay 2 is expected to be a robust casting protocol, and its inclusion in Sonos will address the ‘cast from device’ use case for Apple devices. In the meantime, if you have the technical skills, it’s relatively easy to support AirPlay and iPlayer content today. All of my Sonos devices do.

Edit: I use the open source software that @philippe44 mentions above. It’s excellent.
Userlevel 2
In fairness, I get exactly how Sonos works. And in more ways than you you might think. Looking at history is helpful in that it does show how the world worked.... Once.

Things are moving, which is the point of my post, and others are finding better, cheaper more reliable ways to stream sources across multiple rooms at once, or individually.

I'm interested to see how long the approach Sonos developed remains unique enough to command a premium, market leadership or even existence.

Others are more flexible, so major media content providers, like the BBC, Netflix et al, are able to share their output across platforms, which customers seem to want.

Intransigence might have built a platform, but is the same approach going to maintain it?
In many of these examples, it seems quite similar to blaming the manufacturer of the TV set as to the kinds of shows you can watch on it. The TV, and Sonos speakers are just tools that allow you to connect to certain things that are fed to them. Sure, you may have issues with the sound in some fashion, much as you have an issue with the picture on the TV set, but in many cases, the device is just a carrier, and can't be held responsible for the signal being fed to it.

I know the folks at TuneIn have been trying for over a year to clear up the situation with the BBC, so that TuneIn customers (including Sonos customers) have a better experience. They've not been terribly successful to this point. I am not in those conversations, so I don't really know what the reason is, but I certainly can make some educated guesses.

I feel fairly confident in saying that neither TuneIn nor Sonos are terribly pleased with the way things are. But they also can't step on the toes of the partner supplying the stream that they connect to.