Question

BBC iPlayer

• 25 April 2017
  • 50 replies

Does iPlayer work via Sonos?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

50 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
no - iplayer does not direct cast to Sonos currently. BBC stations and some on demand content is located in the TuneIn app within Sonos.
Userlevel 1
I've just asked Sonos support this question and got this response. If you'd like to escalate this as a new feature please can you contact Sonos requesting it too:)

'If I understand correctly, you are hoping to access BBC iPlayer through your Sonos system. Unfortunately this is something that we are currently unable to do within Sonos as we ado not have the permissions to access BBC iPlayer, even if they are downloaded on BBC iPlayer itself. In this instance I am able to submit this issue as a feature request for you and this may be become available in the future.'
As many have said before in this forum BBC iPlayer Radio is not directly accessible from Sonos. But it is still possible to listen to podcasts from BBC radio on your Sonos: Simply download the podcast you want to listen to from BBC iPlayer Radio and store the file in your Sonos Music Library, then update your Music Library in Sonos and you can then listen to your downloaded BBC podcast as you would listen to any other music file stored in your library.
Userlevel 1
Thanks Peter, this is helpful. Unfortunately not every programme is available as a podcast though. I'm hoping to listen to programs that can only be downloaded or streamed. Am I missing something?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
There isn't a native integration of the iPlayer catalogue with Sonos. It would be great if there was, and I hope it's something that Sonos and the BBC are working on. As a previous poster stated, the content that the BBC releases as podcasts is available via TuneIn, but this is a subset of iPlayer programmes.

In the meantime. I have a Raspberry Pi set up to run an open source program called 'get_iplayer'. This periodically downloads and stores your selected iPlayer programmes, which are then served to the Sonos music library as a file share using Samba.

This works perfectly, is very convenient, and is not particularly expensive. However, it does require some technical know-how.
Also, if you have a Sonos component with a line in, you can play iPlayer via a mobile device or computer that has iPlayer installed. The line in source can be played through any speaker in your Sonos system. Not ideal, but it does make it possible.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
You could also use a £15 chromecast audio to sonos line in, as above.
@LynneyB The response you got seems somewhat disingenuous. I can stream BBC iPlayer Radio, albeit only for the past 7 days, using my Logitech Squeezebox Duo which is at least 7 years old. The connection is via a plug-in written by an "amateur" and shows the advantage of having a publicly available API.
@LynneyB The response you got seems somewhat disingenuous. I can stream BBC iPlayer Radio, albeit only for the past 7 days, using my Logitech Squeezebox Duo which is at least 7 years old. The connection is via a plug-in written by an "amateur" and shows the advantage of having a publicly available API.

Are you implying Sonos does not have a "publicly available API"?

If so, I suggest you look here:

http://musicpartners.sonos.com/?q=docs
Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Does anyone else find it ridiculous that a £15 Chromecast can access iPlayer directly but a £499 Play 5 cant?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
That is the reason I have stopped buying sonos for now, and have bought several chromecasts for audio equipment I already had in other rooms. In the UK access to bbc iplayer radio is a must for me. Unfortunately sonos, being American, probably have no idea what it is ;)
Still I requested both on the latest sonos survey, so the fact they were options is hopeful to me.

Are you implying Sonos does not have a "publicly available API"?

If so, I suggest you look here:

http://musicpartners.sonos.com/?q=docs

Why then no BBC iPlayer Radio?

Well, since Sonos has stated they are eager and willing to work with any and all music providers, supply an API for providers to either add themselves to the Sonos app or stream to Sonos from their own app, and both are free to use, I imagine that question is best asked at the BBC. Since the BBC owns the content (as plainly stated in their TOS), Sonos cannot do it unilaterally, they need the cooperation of the BBC. Unfortunately, an amateur in his basement can disobey the TOS and write a plugin for the long defucnt Squeezebox, a billion dollar company like Sonos cannot. They'd get sued in a heartbeat.
If there is an open API what is to stop an "amateur" producing a plug-in?
If there is an open API what is to stop an "amateur" producing a plug-in?

Simple, Sonos doesn't have plug-ins.
My daughter bought me a low budget wireless audio player for my birthday. It plays whatever is on my device, directly. Why can't SONOS do this? I can play BBC IPlayer "wired" via the Line-in(not on my Sonos Play:1 however) and hear whatever my device is playing , but this is hardly "wireless", and the sound is respectively lower, requiring the volume to be turned right up.

Does anyone else find it ridiculous that a £15 Chromecast can access iPlayer directly but a £499 Play 5 cant?
The Play:5 can. Attach a Chromecast. Try playing anything with just a Chromecast!
Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Well, since Sonos has stated they are eager and willing to work with any and all music providers, supply an API for providers to either add themselves to the Sonos app or stream to Sonos from their own app, and both are free to use, I imagine that question is best asked at the BBC. Since the BBC owns the content (as plainly stated in their TOS), Sonos cannot do it unilaterally, they need the cooperation of the BBC. Unfortunately, an amateur in his basement can disobey the TOS and write a plugin for the long defucnt Squeezebox, a billion dollar company like Sonos cannot. They'd get sued in a heartbeat.

Defunct? My LMS system still works better than my Sonos one.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Was just wondering when you'd make an appearance, who are you going to insult in this thread? 😃
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Was just wondering when you'd make an appearance, who are you going to insult in this thread? :D

Me? I've never insulted anyone in these forums.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
No, It was not you. offending post has been removed 😃
BBC needs to sort this out!
I think there will be a certain portion of the population who will be pleased when the Airplay 2 implementation is released. I think the Beeb is recalcitrant in putting work into integrating with anyone else, be it TuneIn, Apple, Google, Amazon, etc. They want everyone in their own app, I suspect.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
I listen mainly to BBC Radio and SiriusXM (even though i dont live in the UK)

BBC Radio is available via TUNEIN as mentioned above - for the live on air channels. However to listen to many of the shows you do not have to download them... just go to the SEARCH icon and in the screen that comes up... find PODCASTS and SHOWS and then in the search box type the name of the program you want to hear... practically all of the classical shows and many of the news shows are available. Many of Radio 4 and Radio 4x shows (comedies, drama, mystery, standup etc) are available as well... although I find that the availability varies... with not much reason. But it seems that the majority or even 80% of R4 and R4x are available.

Once you find the show you can SAVE it ... just add it to your RADIO SHOWS or MY SONOS ... if you do RADIO SHOWS then you will see them in alpha order. And each week/day the latest episode will be available.

A note about availability - many of the music programs tend to have 7 days only available (EVEN The Archers! ) the sitcoms/dramas spoken word shows tend to be only the current episode. the news shows have much more available. (this is versus the 30 day availability of iPlayer)

Once you save the show if its a daily/weekly you can just go to RADIO SHOWS and play it for the current episode

BTW this works for US radio shows as well.

so you dont have the complete access of iPlayer (30 days to listen) but there is a lot to offer.
All BBC Radio stations are available to stream through the radioplayer app in the UK which is compatible with Sonos. So I can listen to 6 Music (essential for me!) using this app on my phone through wifi.