BBC iPlayer

Show first post

68 replies

The only way I managed this satisfactorily is by using a Sonos Connect and an iPad. It works very well but is an expensive solution
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Such a long wait fro this as a service and nothing. guess BBC not so important to a world wide audience. Shame
Userlevel 6
Badge +19
Such a long wait fro this as a service and nothing. guess BBC not so important to a world wide audience. Shame Have you not read the thread? It is the BBC who need to provide this service.

Of course if you have and iPad or iPhone I guell it may work with Airplay 2?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I have read this and many other threads. I just look every so often to see if there is any progress. I can stream to my Playbar but then if i want to stream to other rooms there is annoying cut outs. Wasted hours with Sonos trying to make what should work work. Only to be told it is not intended to be used like this. Hence why would like it as a music Service
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I have read this and many other threads. I just look every so often to see if there is any progress. I can stream to my Playbar but then if i want to stream to other rooms there is annoying cut outs. Wasted hours with Sonos trying to make what should work work. Only to be told it is not intended to be used like this. Hence why would like it as a music Service

BBC iPlayer Radio no longer exists. It has been replaced by BBC Sounds. We know the BBC are aware of requests for iPlayer Radio to be available via Sonos (and hence BBC Sounds) but as far as I know we have no indication whether or not they intend to use the API so users can log into their BBC Account via Sonos.

As too the fact your are streaming to the Playbar - Streaming what t the Playbar and how? If you're playing music via the Playbar you should be able to get t to other speakers without issue - that is a totally separate issue to Sonos/BBC Integration

Well then you haven't read the thread. Because if you had, you would understand that music services add themselves, at their behest, not Sonos'. If the BBC does not request to be part of Sonos' Music Partners program and submit their interface via the Sonos Music API, there is nothing Sonos can do.

So go lobby the BBC.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Well then you haven't read the thread. Because if you had, you would understand that music services add themselves, at their behest, not Sonos'. If the BBC does not request to be part of Sonos' Music Partners program and submit their interface via the Sonos Music API, there is nothing Sonos can do.
So go lobby the BBC.

Not very helpful and actually plain rude. I have communicated with the BBC as well and guess what, they say try Sonos. If you don't have anything constructive to say, on a topic that clearly is not important to you,....
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Jgatie is correct even if it isn’t what you want to hear.

The BBC’s own help pages explain how to get BBC Sounds (replace,net for iPlayer radio) through Sonos.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/sonos-airplay
Userlevel 6
Badge +19
Still the same old excuses. "It's not our job to do it". Pathetic!
So motivating and constructive! It's not an excuse it's a reason.
Integrating BBC Sounds into Sonos would need BBC resource. The BBC is publicly funded. I would think it a very poor use of my licence payer's money if the BBC were to spend it helping a privileged few with expensive wireless hifi systems.

I applaud the BBC for not initiating such a development. I urge the BBC to maintain its stance.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
I've edited the thread:
- Removing comments with political connotation
- Removing comments that I have deemed unconducive.

Let's focus our efforts on keeping discourse civil.

The responses here are correct, it is a shared effort between the BBC and Sonos to bring this functionality to our system. BBC being the initiators.
Why they would refer users back to us is perplexing to me. Especially as they full well know the procedure.

What I can interpret personally, from their having provided a workaround, is that they have not deemed such dedication of resources to be a worthwhile undertaking.
Userlevel 6
Badge +19
Thank you Edward.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
This has not gotten exponentially worse.

The BBC content is no longer live streaming through TuneIn.

The answer to "Airplay to Sonos" is garbage. I have 5 zones, the idea of telling me to add a new piece of equipment at several hundred dollars is a non-starter. This worked for literally years, and as of this last week or so does not any longer.

This gear is expensive, and the sudden loss of content is VERY frustrating. First MLB Gameday and now I can't listen to BBC content.

If this is a situation between Sonos and BBC or TuneIn please figure it out, and do it soon.
https://status.sonos.com/

Please note the banner at the top, in red.