BBC iPlayer

Userlevel 1
How do I listen to BBC iPlayer?

68 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9
You can't ! You have to use Tunein to access BBC live and listen again.
Userlevel 1
I can see BBC radio stations there, but not listen again. How do I access BBC catch up in Tune-in? And is the Tunein BBC radio as good sound quality as the iPlayer? It seems not to me. If there is no way to access the most popular radio player in UK then how do I play my tuner through Sonos? Begging to seem like Sonos tech is very clunky. Thanks for any help you can give.
Userlevel 1
I can sees BBC radio stations there, but not listen again. How do I access BBC catch up in Tune-in? And is the Tunein BBC radio as good sound quality as the iPlayer? It seems not to me. If there is no way to access the most popular radio player in UK then how do I play my tuner through Sonos? Begging to seem like Sonos tech is very clunky. Thanks for any help you can give.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Sadly, BBC radio player listen again combined with download capability is not on Sonos despite many requests. As I listen very often to it and download many programmes also, I have had to resort to using my Airport Express connected to my Sonos Connect and AEs in my bedroom and through Grundig Sonoclock radios in kitchen and bathroom via line in. Alternatively I have a cheap Blutooth speaker which I also use to listen to BBC radio catch up programmes and downloads. Very portable so I can carry my iPod and Blutooth combo around together inside and out the house.
Tunein yes for BBC radio, but only limited podcast choice.
Regrettable as many of us have expensive Sonos setups.
Userlevel 1
Thanks Castalla and bidfta. A sorry mess. Would not have bought this had I known.
A sorry mess. Would not have bought this had I known.
Sonos uses the TuneIn directory service. If a radio programme is not there, searchable as a 'show', then it's not available via that mechanism.

There have been suggestions that the BBC iPlayer radio be available on Sonos, as another audio service, but the initiative to make such an interface would have to come from the BBC's side.

For listening on Sonos to the BBC's own iPlayer apps you'd need to plug a suitable device into an analog Line-In socket. Obvious possibilities are an Apple Airport Express (for Airplay from an iDevice), a Google Chromecast Audio (for casting from an Android) or a Bluetooth audio receiver. You could even hardwire from a phone's headphone outlet.

Another option could be a smart TV running an iPlayer app, connected to a PLAYBAR.

If despite all the above you don't want to keep your Sonos system your retailer may take it back. For direct purchases off their website Sonos offer a 100-day return policy.

Oh, and multiple posts on the same subject aren't helpful.

Sadly, BBC radio player listen again combined with download capability is not on Sonos despite many requests.
Sonos has nowhere to store the downloads.
@ADR. A useful lesson learned, hopefully - if there is a particular feature you want in a product it's a good idea to check if it has it before you buy. If it has features you don't value or intend to use (multiroom, multisource, multi-controller, great sound) then that's another good reason not to buy it. You should definitely return it and get something that meets your needs.

There have been suggestions that the BBC iPlayer radio be available on Sonos, as another audio service, but the initiative to make such an interface would have to come from the BBC's side.

What do you mean that such an initiative would have to come from BBC? Why can't Sonos add a BBC service themselves?
What do you mean that such an initiative would have to come from BBC? Why can't Sonos add a BBC service themselves?
Sonos offers a generic partner API for services themselves to work to. For a bespoke solution there would need to be a compatible BBC interface for Sonos to work to. I'm not aware that such a thing exists.

Third party hardware devices offering iPlayer capability are either based on a platform onto which the BBC ports their app (Smart TVs, PVRs, STBs, Amazon Fire TV), or casting targets (Chromecast) used in conjunction with a mobile/tablet. Sonos isn't an app platform; however they might eventually offer casting support.
@ratty I am aware that Sonos offers an API. But BBC does also offer third party development access, see BBC Nitro (for example Squeezebox has a 3rd party full feature iPlayer running MPEG-DASH).

I'm not saying Sonos should develop a BBC app (like how they did Spotify) but IMO it isn't accurate to say this is something BBC "has" to do. If Sonos or BBC saw SONIS iPlayer as important to their goals I'm sure they would get it done.
You cannot compare an Open Source plugin written by a single programmer in his basement to a billion dollar company which is subject to content access and distribution laws. Saying Sonos should/could use the same avenue as the Squeezebox plugin is the same as saying they should support Airplay by hacking it's DRM because the guy who wrote Sonoplay did it.
You cannot compare an Open Source plugin written by a single programmer in his basement to a billion dollar company which is subject to content access and distribution laws. Saying Sonos should/could use the same avenue as the Squeezebox plugin is the same as saying they should support Airplay by hacking it's DRM because the guy who wrote Sonoplay did it.

For .... sakes. I specifically said I wasn't saying that they should freaking develop a BBC app.

The idea that BBC has to develop a Sonos app because Sonos has an API is completely false since BBC (which is a non profit) also has an API which Sonos as a multi billion dollar company can apply to use if they should so choose. Cause hey if as you say a guy in his basement can code an app that however many Squeezebox users can use (or millions of Plex and kodi users since these platforms also have an iplayer) why can't sonos as a hugely profitable company throw something together if they wanted to.

Of course since Sonos develops at a glacial speed this would never happen.
Missing the point again. Or maybe it's just your constant contrarian attitude. Either way . . . boring.
see BBC Nitro
Interesting. https://developer.bbc.co.uk/nitro is bannered with
The BBC Developer site is currently open for registration to BBC Employees. Account requests from other users are not currently being activated.
And it goes on to say
A fast and easy way to get access to the entire BBC catalogue, including programme information, images, scheduling and listings, contributors, and details on which programmes are available to play on iPlayer and iPlayer Radio.
While we do want to make our programmes to as wide an audience as possible, many of our programmes are covered by copyright. Using Nitro to try and infrige copyright is against the spirit of our open policy (and is against the terms and conditions to boot). Some other things we don't support are trying to pass yourself off as the BBC -- don't build another iPlayer, please -- and commercial exploitation of our metadata.
I may be wrong, but my reading is that the BBC are happy for people to manipulate metadata so long as stream delivery remains under their control.
I may be wrong, but my reading is that the BBC are happy for people to manipulate metadata so long as stream delivery remains under their control.

Gee, given the above, it's possible that Sonos, being a $1 Billion/year company, has to comply with BBC's copyrights when it comes to accessing and distributing BBC content, whereas a single programmer putting out a Squeezebox plugin may fly under the radar because there is nothing to go after for damages?

But hey, what do I know? I'm just a guy cuddling up with his P:5s. :rolleyes:
@ratty yes nitro is in house only - I pointed to it only because the bbc has been talking about transitioning away from their iplayer api to Nitro for a few years. Access to their iplayer streams is still available for third parties to use. - Kodi and Plex which between the 2 have 10s of millions of downloads currently have iplayer plugins, as does Squeezebox.

So to say an iplayer on Sonos is all up to BBC is a myth. Don't blame BBC only. Sonos could push, throw a few dollars at it it if they wanted- maybe they have and decided not worth it. Maybe they see Tunein as good enough.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I hope sonos will open upto casting through google chromecast, then us brits can use native bbc iplayer app which is a joy.
Until then you need a line-in and a chromecast audio.
Badge
I have now had Sonos for 10 years. Been adding to it gradually
I have Sonos Play 1 in the Kitchen, the Garden Room and the Bathroom.
I have Sonos Connect in the Sitting Room, the Study and main Bedroom.
Why do I have to put up with Tunein for BBC Radio 4?
Why can't I stream through my BBC Radio iPlayer?

I now want to add another Connect.
Is there another brand that can replace my Bathroom or Kitchen Sonos to listen to BBC Radio iPlayer?
That might be a solution?

John
Why do I have to put up with Tunein for BBC Radio 4?
How does it make a difference? Not for live radio anyhow. TuneIn is simply a directory service which points the Sonos player at the BBC's servers.

Why can't I stream through my BBC Radio iPlayer?
Because the BBC hasn't felt inclined to integrate the iPlayer service with Sonos, and as yet there's no means of 'casting' from an iPlayer app directly to a Sonos player.

Seeing as you have several CONNECTs why don't you simply plug a Chromecast Audio into the Line-In of one of them and cast from the iPlayer app to that.
Very disappointed in not being able to play iPlayer through Sonos. I don't understand why Sonos can't fix this one way or another.
Very disappointed in not being able to play iPlayer through Sonos. I don't understand why Sonos can't fix this one way or another.

As has been stated in this thread, Sonos cannot "fix this" because they cannot implement iPlayer without cooperation from the BBC. Sonos offers a free of charge API for any and all music services to integrate into the Sonos app. So far, the BBC hasn't felt inclined to utilize this free API to integrate the iPlayer service with Sonos.

To be honest Sonos have promised to support BBC IPlayer as part of their development and to sell units - it's just that they lied.
@ratty yes nitro is in house only - I pointed to it only because the bbc has been talking about transitioning away from their iplayer api to Nitro for a few years. Access to their iplayer streams is still available for third parties to use. - Kodi and Plex which between the 2 have 10s of millions of downloads currently have iplayer plugins, as does Squeezebox.

So to say an iplayer on Sonos is all up to BBC is a myth. Don't blame BBC only. Sonos could push, throw a few dollars at it it if they wanted- maybe they have and decided not worth it. Maybe they see Tunein as good enough.

I'm sure that I've read a sonos post previously that the reason that they don't support Iplayer is due to the BBC's choice of codecs and that they would develop to support them, as others have (as you point out). I think that it's mainly that they just don't support the UK market.
Alistair, you could not be further from the truth. Sonos never promised to support iPlayer. They did promise to work with the BBC to support their new streaming protocol via TuneIn, which was accomplished late last year. They also promised support for archived BBC content via TuneIn, which was released a few months back. As has been stated, true incorporation of the iPlayer into Sonos would require initiation and collaboration by the BBC, which has not happened yet. This has nothing to do with Sonos not placing importance on the UK market and more to do with the BBC not placing importance on the market of Sonos users.