Answered

audio starts/stops - SiriusXM - unable to connect file is an unsupported format

• 23 May 2019
  • 6 replies

sonos play 1, audio plays. then a pause - no more sound. i happen to look at cell phone app and see "unable to connect file is an unsupported format" then audio might start again, might not.
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 24 May 2019, 16:13

Hi

Glad to see things sorted out for you. If your Wi-Fi is fluctuating that's a good sign that there's an update required or the unit is failing.

I agree that having your own router and/or modem is always IMO better than using that provided by your ISP. Actually you may not need to buy a modem especially if the ISP gear is a combo router/modem. I use Google Fiber as my ISP but I tuned the router portion of the unit off and installed my own which is an ASUS AC5300. I did the same when I had DirecTV.

One last point...although the fix I suggested seems to have resolved your issues...that's not to say that the issue may not reoccur. However, as you said Spectrum may be throttling your bandwidth or you may want to invest in your own router as well.

The another option to negate poor Wi-Fi coverage is to put your Sonos into wired mode (Boost) and use the SonosNet. You get much better coverage. Click the link for more information on setting Sonos to wired mode. https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3235?language=en_US

Feel free to post back if you have questions or need more assistance from the community😎

Cheers!
View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi mainernxile

I'm not sure if you're asking a question or just stating a fact. In any event click the link to see which Audio formats are supported by Sonos:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/79?language=en_US

Cheers!
fact is i am losing audio. question is how to fix it. i am listening to siriusxm live broadcast and it just cuts out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
fact is i am losing audio. question is how to fix it. i am listening to siriusxm live broadcast and it just cuts out."

Thanks for clarifying. Now that we know the problem is with SiriusXM, does this only happen with a particular station or does this happen with every station? The more details we have about the problem and the behavior, the better we can help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi mainernxile

Thanks for the clarification. There are several possibilities as to why your music is dropping:

1. Wi-Fi interference
  2. Updates needed to your router and/or modem
  3. Updates to the SiriusXM app
  4. SiriusXM experiencing issues
  5. Updates to the Sonos controller
  6. Bandwidth fluctuations by your ISP
  7. Faulty Wi-Fi card in the Play:1
Try the following by the numbers. Check the link first for SiriusXM status: https://status.sonos.com/
  1. Unplug your Sonos procucts
  2. Unplug your Wi-Fi and Wired clients to your router
  3. Reboot your router and Modem_let them come back
  4. Check your router admin page for firmware updates_download and install if necessary
  5. Delete the SiriusXM app from Sonos
  6. Delete the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device
  7. Power cycle your iOS or Android device
  8. Check your iOS or Android device for updates_download and install if necessary
  9. Install the Sonos app
  10. Install the SiriusXM app
  11. Plug in your Sonos products 1 x 1_Boost product or module first if in wired configuration_Let each come back before moving to the next
  12. Plug in you Wi-Fi and wired clients 1 x 1
  13. Move any baby monitors or security cameras/base stations away from your speakers
  14. Test your setup w/SiriusXM
  15. If problem persists submit a diagnostic, post the reference ID in this forum and call Sonos Tech support
Let us know how things sort out. Cheers!
i followed your instructions, step by step, with success. no dropout this morning. i also applied this method to my roku/prime video issues and that cleared up as well.
my wifi slows to where i have to reboot modem and router probably monthly, but i have never hard rebooted my router.
i have 'cut the cord', only have cable internet, and am certain spectrum is bogging my modem. i do need to buy my own modem and upgrade my router.
thanks for your help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi

Glad to see things sorted out for you. If your Wi-Fi is fluctuating that's a good sign that there's an update required or the unit is failing.

I agree that having your own router and/or modem is always IMO better than using that provided by your ISP. Actually you may not need to buy a modem especially if the ISP gear is a combo router/modem. I use Google Fiber as my ISP but I tuned the router portion of the unit off and installed my own which is an ASUS AC5300. I did the same when I had DirecTV.

One last point...although the fix I suggested seems to have resolved your issues...that's not to say that the issue may not reoccur. However, as you said Spectrum may be throttling your bandwidth or you may want to invest in your own router as well.

The another option to negate poor Wi-Fi coverage is to put your Sonos into wired mode (Boost) and use the SonosNet. You get much better coverage. Click the link for more information on setting Sonos to wired mode. https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3235?language=en_US

Feel free to post back if you have questions or need more assistance from the community😎

Cheers!