Answered

Audio optimization on Spotify TV App

• 31 August 2021
  • 3 replies

Hello everybody !

I come from France, so I'm sorry if I do some mistakes with my english^^

I have a playbar (+ 2 play 1 + sub) connected on my LG TV (OLED GX) and I use the spotify app on this TV to listen music (I also use my phone with WiFi, but it is very pleasant to have a big screen)

But when the sound come from a TV, the Playbar set the sound in 5.1 as for a movie, and it is very worse than WiFi for music.

Does anyone have a solution to have music setting on my playbar when I use Spotify on my TV ?

The only solution I've found is using spotify on my PC connected on my TV.…

Thank you everybody :)

Rémi

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 31 August 2021, 18:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Bidou/Remi,

Welcome!

Unfortunately, the PLAYBAR only knows where the source data is coming from. If it’s coming across the optical cable from the TV, it assumes it is TV data, and plays it as if it is the Dolby Digital format, since the TV is sending it in that way. The PLAYBAR has no innate knowledge whether or not the data coming across is music from the Spotify app on your TV, or a movie channel. 

When you’re using the app to “send” to Sonos directly, it knows that the only signal it can receive is stereo, so it plays the signal in that format. It might be possible (I do not own an LG) to set the output in the TV’s app to output only stereo, instead of defaulting to Dolby Digital, but I’m not sure.

There is no easy “setting” on the Sonos itself to make that switch, the Sonos depends on the signal being sent to it, and the method by which it is sent to determine format.

Now, since it’s been 50 years since I attended L’ecole de Garcon, here’s a Google translate version:

Bidou/Remi,

Bienvenue!

Malheureusement, la PLAYBAR ne sait que d'où proviennent les données sources. S'il rencontre le câble optique du téléviseur, il suppose qu'il s'agit de données TV et les lit comme s'il s'agissait du format Dolby Digital, puisque le téléviseur les envoie de cette manière. La PLAYBAR ne sait pas de manière innée si les données qui arrivent sont de la musique de l'application Spotify sur votre téléviseur ou une chaîne de cinéma.

Lorsque vous utilisez l'application pour « envoyer » directement à Sonos, il sait que le seul signal qu'il peut recevoir est stéréo, il lit donc le signal dans ce format. Il est peut-être possible (je ne possède pas de LG) de régler la sortie dans l'application du téléviseur pour qu'elle ne produise que de la stéréo, au lieu de passer par défaut à Dolby Digital, mais je ne suis pas sûr.

Il n'y a pas de « réglage » facile sur le Sonos lui-même pour effectuer ce changement, le Sonos dépend du signal qui lui est envoyé et de la méthode par laquelle il est envoyé pour déterminer le format.

Dear Bruce,

Thank you very much for your answer and for the translation^^

So I can just wait Spotify add a "share" button on their TV App to send data from TV to the Playbar by WiFi and avoid optical cable (as with a phone)

Thank you and have a good day :)

Rémi

If memory serves, the appropriate response is “pas de quoi”? In english, it is nothing? Or perhaps more specifically, you’re welcome :)

I wouldn’t hold my breath for Spotify to add a “share” button to the TV app. The chances of that happening are, in my opinion, fairly slim.

You’re better off using the app on your mobile device to “send” to your PLAYBAR, rather than the Spotify app on the TV. Or, perhaps, look in to options in the Spotify app on the TV to see if you can force it in to sending stereo, rather than anything else. The PLAYBAR will play whatever type of signal it is sent across the optical cable, so if the app is sending stereo, it will be the same as from your phone. 

It also might be worth double checking that there’s nothing in the TV’s options that are “upscaling” the audio to something that it isn’t originally. I don’t own that TV, I don’t know if it can do that or not. 

En français:
Je ne retiendrais pas mon souffle pour que Spotify ajoute un bouton « partager » à l'application TV. Les chances que cela se produise sont, à mon avis, assez minces.

Vous feriez mieux d'utiliser l'application sur votre appareil mobile pour « envoyer » vers votre PLAYBAR, plutôt que l'application Spotify sur le téléviseur. Ou, peut-être, consultez les options de l'application Spotify sur le téléviseur pour voir si vous pouvez le forcer à envoyer de la stéréo, plutôt qu'autre chose. La PLAYBAR jouera n'importe quel type de signal qu'il est envoyé à travers le câble optique, donc si l'application envoie la stéréo, ce sera le même que celui de votre téléphone.

Il peut également valoir la peine de vérifier qu'il n'y a rien dans les options du téléviseur qui "relève" l'audio vers quelque chose qu'il n'est pas à l'origine. Je ne possède pas cette télévision, je ne sais pas si elle peut le faire ou non.