Answered

Audio glitches with Youtube Music via the Sonos App?

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Since the switch to Youtube Music (from Google Play Music), has anyone else noticed audio glitches periodically in the music they listen to via Youtube Music in the the Sonos App?

Every so often in a song I get a quick static glitch sound. This does not happen with other sources, like Sonos Radio or Bandcamp. 

icon

Best answer by Mark P 29 October 2020, 22:14

View original

110 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @p_wats.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community. I totally understand where you're coming from and I’m here to help.

Can you submit a diagnostic report from your Sonos system and reply back with your confirmation number?

While your waiting for my reply can you try to use a different controller and see if your also having the same issue with youtube music?

Try to remove and add back your youtube account in sonos app.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thanks Mark!

Here’s my confirmation number: 1363389118

I’ve used different controllers, but will also try removing/re-adding the service. 

I’ve been using Youtube Music now for a few months and the audio glitches only seemed to happen recently. Though, as I said above, they don’t happen with other sources (listening to Bandcamp now with no issues, same with Sonos Radio). 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @p_wats.

Welcome, thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community and providing the diagnostic report.

Can you switch your Sonos Net channel to channel 1 since the current channel your system is in is congested?

Just go to setting » system » network » Sonosnet channel 1.

I recommend observing this in the meantime.

Update us also if removing and adding the music service helps.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thanks Mark. I’ll change the channel now, but I had already changed it yesterday in an attempt to troubleshoot the issue myself and it had no effect. 

I just removed/re-added Youtube Music as a service, so I’ll let you know how that goes. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Mark P I have now changed the wireless channel, removed/re-added Youtube Music as a service and tried different controllers, but just had another audio glitch. 

Earlier today, when the glitches were getting annoying, I switched services and listened to a full album on Bandcamp via Sonos and had no glitches. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Mark P.

Welcome, thank you for reaching back to Sonos Community.

One possible cause why this issue still continues and now other music services are affected is because of wifi interference.

Can you try in the meantime to hardwire one of your smaller speakers directly to the Sonos Boost for it to have a more stable connection?

Also in your main modem/router check if the configuration for the Auto channel is set to off.

If you're not familiar to check this you can contact your cable provider for the step-by-step guide.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

One possible cause why this issue still continues and now other music services are affected is because of wifi interference.

@Mark P to clarify, I was saying that other music services are NOT affected. These glitches only happen with YouTube Music, not Sonos Radio or Bandcamp, so I have to assume it's not my overall connection, unless there's something more demanding about YouTube Music for some reason?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @p_wats.

Base on the recent diagnostic report you submitted to use.

There are speakers that are having some issues with wifi interference.

So I'm just wondering if you can hardwire temporarily the smaller speaker directly to the boost, and see if theirs any changes.

Now if this still doesn't work for you then calling our customer phone support would be our last option.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Mark P thanks for your responses. I've now got a One wired directly to the boost. However I still have experienced audio glitches with YouTube Music (I just moved the One from one location to another and plugged it in---do I need to restart the boost, etc.?).

Right now I'm listening to Sonos Radio with zero glitches. I also just had bandcamp on for a while via the Sonos app and it was all fine too. It is only YouTube Music having glitches. If the diagnosis is wifi interference why are no other services in the Sonos app affected? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @Mark P.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

No need to reboot the boost.

Actually youtube and other music services are just passing all the command and information to Sonos application since on the previous diag there are few wifi interferences that's why we kinda point out first the wifi connectivity.

Can you submit another diagnostic report while the Sonos one is wired so we can compare the difference between the two diagnostics report?

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Thanks @Mark P . I just submitted another set of diagnostics. Here is the confirmation number: 38446729

I also just listened to some  music on Spotify (via the Sonos S1 app) and had no glitches. However, switching back to Youtube Music I immediately had a few glitches again. 

Userlevel 1

I’m having a similar issue as well. It is limited to just the YouTube Music service and the glitches sound like a sub-second static of varying length and pitch.  The glitch also comes through all linked units at the same time.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I’m having a similar issue as well. It is limited to just the YouTube Music service and the glitches sound like a sub-second static of varying length and pitch.  The glitch also comes through all linked units at the same time.

That sounds like what I’m experiencing. Weird that it’s only Youtube Music. 

Selfishly, I’m glad someone else is having a similar issue, so I’m not just crazy (and hopefully that means we’ll get some help).

Userlevel 1

I’ve also noticed that if I replay the song, the glitch seems to occur at the same moment in the song, leading me to believe that it’s encoded in the stream distributed among the players, and not related to poor wireless connectivity.  It may also be worth noting that my system operates without a Sonos Bridge.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Look, let be honest, YTM on Sonos sucks in various ways, and the ad company owner has shown little interest in fixing anything. Try iBroadcast instead, and save your money (and privacy).

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I appreciate the sentiment, @controlav , but I’ve got a family plan for Youtube Premium and don’t exactly want to get yet another service because I’m suddenly having audio glitches via Sonos. 

@Mark P I submitted another diagnostic report, but never heard back. Is there anything else I can try other than switching services?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @p_wats.

I would like to recommend calling our customer phone support on this so you can be assisted with more thorough and in-depth troubleshooting steps.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Ok, thanks @Mark P. For what it’s worth, right now I’m trying playing through the Youtube Music App on my phone with a cable into my Play 5 and it’s been perfectly fine (in all rooms), so the issue still seems isolated to the Youtube Music integration in the Sonos App. 

I’ll call support though and see where that goes. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

For anyone else following along, Sonos phone support told me their engineers have been having the odd problem with Youtube Music and are looking into it (ie, it is not my wifi). No timeline or guarantee, but at least I know there’s nothing more I can do on my side. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hi @p_wats.

And giving us some feedback regarding the status of your case.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Any update on this?

I’ve noticed the same issue.  As per dflores often at the same moment on the same track.  It sometimes also sounds like the music speeds up slightly for a few seconds.  It’s definitely YTM - was a long-time user of GPM and only notice this when I transferred across.  Never have this issue with other streaming services, local music library or radio.

Userlevel 1

Sonos causing YTM glitches.

I have an AV amp with a Sonos Connect attached via analogue AND a Chromecast Ultra in a HDMI port.

If I play ANY music over Sonos from YTM there are always Glitches. (this did not happen with Play Music)

If I play ANY music cast from YTM there are never any glitches.

I can only imagine that Sonos is deliberately hobbling YTM for some reason.  FYI all my Sonos kit is hardwired and my internet is a stable Fibre connection.  It does not make any difference if I use a digital connection from the Sonos Connect to the Amp.

PS there is the side issue with ‘Likes’ on Sonos for YTM tracks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sonos causing YTM glitches.

I can only imagine that Sonos is deliberately hobbling YTM for some reason. 

PS there is the side issue with ‘Likes’ on Sonos for YTM tracks.

Please don’t be ridiculous. That fact that the YTM SMAPI service is full of bugs and missing features is a much more likely cause of glitchy playback, plus Google’s total lack of interest in fixing anything means that smart users should change services, eg to iBroacast.

Userlevel 1

@controlav.

Sorry, you feel this is ridiculous.

What other conclusions can you come to, when YTM casts fine for hours with no glitches,  Yet when playing the same tracks through Sonos there are glitches in EVERY track?

Badge

For anyone else following along, Sonos phone support told me their engineers have been having the odd problem with Youtube Music and are looking into it (ie, it is not my wifi). No timeline or guarantee, but at least I know there’s nothing more I can do on my side. 

Same issue, didn’t have the issue with Google Play. The glitch only occurs while using YTM via Sonos. I listen to YTM on my iPhone, I don’t experience the glitch.