Answered

Audio books through Overdrive

• 25 February 2014
  • 26 replies

Userlevel 1
Can I listen to library audio books downloaded through Overdrive (the public library ebook and audiobook software) on my Sonos Play:3?
icon

Best answer by Ryan E - Sonos 27 February 2014, 01:57

Hi there,

If the downloaded audiobooks are free of DRM and in a supported audio format, then you should be able to play them using Sonos's Music Library function. However, if the audiobooks are only able to play through a proprietary app or are copy protected, then I'm afraid Sonos won't recognize the files and won't be able to play them.

If you have a Sonos player with Line-In, you can always wire your device (computer, phone, tablet) to the Line-In port and play the audio directly to Sonos that way. You can find some more information on Line-In here.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks.
View original

26 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi there,

If the downloaded audiobooks are free of DRM and in a supported audio format, then you should be able to play them using Sonos's Music Library function. However, if the audiobooks are only able to play through a proprietary app or are copy protected, then I'm afraid Sonos won't recognize the files and won't be able to play them.

If you have a Sonos player with Line-In, you can always wire your device (computer, phone, tablet) to the Line-In port and play the audio directly to Sonos that way. You can find some more information on Line-In here.

Thanks.
Userlevel 1
Are there any plans to add Overdrive?  I would not recommend Sonos to a friend for this very reason (incompatibility with Overdrive).
Userlevel 1
Why dose sonos care if the books are DRM free?
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Sonos is able to play music / audio files using the Music Library, but not if the files are protected by DRM. In this case, if the audiobooks are DRM-free and in a supported audio format, you could access them and play them through the Music Library function.
Userlevel 1
I agree overdrive needs to be added
Userlevel 2
Hi there,

Thanks.

The reason for purchasing Sonos is to listen to audio without being tethered to a line in device; and even though a line in is provided on some units, line iin isn't always convenient. My Play:5 device is 16' above the floor, making it especially inconvenient. Overdrive is a program used by libraries across the US enabling their customers to listen to free audiobooks, and your users are in need of a way to listen to their libraries' audiobooks. Please add Overdrive Ito your upcoming apps. It would generate a new reason for your customers to purchase Sonos units in addition to and other than music.
Userlevel 1
Hi there,

Thanks.

Well said. I will add my plea to yours - Overdrive would be a very worthwhile app addition to Sonos!
As Seniors, earphones are often not recommended so we are looking for an viable alternative; if Sonos supported this we would certainly purchase additional units.  How does one determine if an audio book is DRM free?
Hi there,

Thanks.

the best way is to get a airport express and stream it to the audio in as long as you have a IOS device. this is what I will do for my wife when she wants to listen to podcasts or AOL radio or such. or a bluetooth adapter may be even better.
Are there any plans to add Overdrive? 
I agree! Any update on this? Overdrive support would be very nice.
I agree. I am holding off on investing in another high priced Sonos component, until I see some kind of progress in allowing me to easily play through overdrive and Audible.com. At a certain point, just buying a blue tooth speaker makes more sense. Come on!!!
I believe all Overdrive files intended to be "broken by design" with Digital Restriction Management (DRM).  That's the point; without it you'd have the ability to keep the downloaded files around past the time you've checked it out.  That said, I have found that at least one audio book I've checked out leaves unencrypted mp3 files in a folder on my laptop. I can tell because they play in iTunes (and even within the 'Finder' on my Mac).

It is typically easy for people who have technical savvy to decrypt the files, and for the most part removing encryption is completely legal.  But it isn't worth the effort for most people, which is all the publisher is needs to accomplish.  You are still bound by the terms and conditions of the Overdrive app, which say you must delete the files when your checkout period terminates (you did read the T&C, right? Of course you didn't).

I think of it as how airlines treat economy class poorly as a way to create the demand for business class.  I mean seriously, if you were made of money, you might prefer to buy the audiobook on CD instead of dealing with the P.I.T.A of DRM.
I agree. I am holding off on investing in another high priced Sonos component, until I see some kind of progress in allowing me to easily play through overdrive and Audible.com. At a certain point, just buying a blue tooth speaker makes more sense. Come on!!!
Audible.com wasn't a huge problem for me.  I joined ages ago, and there was an iTunes plug in to authorize the audible files to play on my iPod.  Sonos can access the same files and play them through the Music Library.

I haven't bought a new Audible book in aeons, so I don't know if the same tech is in place, but I'd expect it to be the same.  Maybe not, as Google and Apple are not now the best of tech-com friends. :-/

[Edit]

according to this:
http://help.overdrive.com/customer/portal/articles/1481596-how-to-import-mp3-titles-into-itunes-on-a...
it is possible to add overdrive files to iTunes.  Perhaps that would let Sonos read them like Audible?

[2nd edit]
Ok, I just downloaded a new Overdrive book, and the mp3 files were where they said they'd be, they loaded into iTunes, and Sonos is happily playing them (after an 'update music library' pause).

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.
overdrive I find a real pain if you have a mac it is almost useless way to many limits and in our library far to few copies of each book. but that said i would use a bluetooth speaker it is portable and more discreet nothing like blasting a sex scene around the house (G) 
I still have to use other audio devices since as boom to have a speaker that will play overdrive. Sonos not having this function was a disappointment after purchasing the product since I often go from home to places playing my audio book through overdrive. Headphones often dont fit properly, create a headache or are a nausance when home trying to do things. Seamlessly being able to go from one thing to the next, home to car, being plugged into my audiobooks would bring me great joy!
I agree. I am holding off on investing in another high priced Sonos component, until I see some kind of progress in allowing me to easily play through overdrive and Audible.com. At a certain point, just buying a blue tooth speaker makes more sense. Come on!!! Well this is where Apple steps in and does what they do. (Take over the market). Their new "smart" speaker is on par with Sonos sound quality and will easily sync with your devices to play your overdrive app. It definitely lacks in the smarts department as Siri is almost unusable. Hopefully someone at Sonos can quickly cut a deal with overdrive or create a similar app that allows you to check out audiobooks from the library. My 2 cents.
Sonos doesn’t “cut deals” with anyone. That phrase implies that Sonos would make money from such a deal, which they don’t. They supply a free API to anyone who chooses to implement it, and supply the integration to the Sonos app, along with QA effort, but they don’t make any money from anything other than hardware sales of their speakers.
1. Download the Overdrive desktop app
https://app.overdrive.com/
2. Import your ODM titles. This converts them to MP3.
4. Launch Sonos app
5. Confirm that the folder holding the (now) MP3 files is recognized by Sonos under "Music Library"

If you'd like the audiobook to be added to iTunes to be played on Sonos follow these steps-

1. Download the Overdrive desktop app
https://app.overdrive.com/
2. Import your ODM titles
3. Launch iTunes
4. Import your audiobook into iTunes
https://help.overdrive.com/customer/portal/articles/1481596-how-to-import-mp3-titles-into-itunes-on-a-mac
5. Launch Sonos app
6. Confirm that the folder holding the (now) MP3 files is recognized by Sonos under "Music Library"
One work-around is to mirror your phone or tablet onto your TV. I use my Apple-TV device to play virtually anything from my phone, including Overdrive Audio Books from the public library, on my Sonos speakers
Badge
I see no way to find Overdrive library audio books using sonos library function. I have tried every cater=gory.

and as the person below said:

[/quote]
The reason for purchasing Sonos is to listen to audio without being tethered to a line in device; and even though a line in is provided on some units, line iin isn't always convenient. My Play:5 device is 16' above the floor, making it especially inconvenient. Overdrive is a program used by libraries across the US enabling their customers to listen to free audiobooks, and your users are in need of a way to listen to their libraries' audiobooks. Please add Overdrive Ito your upcoming apps. It would generate a new reason for your customers to purchase Sonos units in addition to and other than music. [/quote]

It's been three years since that quote. how hard is this?
As indicated earlier in the thread, the majority of the work would need to be done by Overdrive. Sonos has already published the API for them to integrate with.
Please support Overdrive and the Libby app which plays Overdrive audiobooks from libraries. Very useful, I listen to a ton of audiobooks and so wish I could do this on Sonos. Thanks
Please read the post directly before yours.
Badge
How about if Sonos HELPED the library app??? (Overdrive) wouldn't that be a nice thing to do?
How about if Sonos HELPED the library app??? (Overdrive) wouldn't that be a nice thing to do?

Exactly what Sonos has done, by publishing an easy to use API, which any content provider can take advantage of.