Answered

Asking Alexa to play Spotify in one room, stops playing in the other room/speaker.

• 23 October 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi, 

Not so long ago I was able to ask different echo devices to play Spotify on different Sonos speakers across different rooms, and music would start playing without cutting in other rooms.

Now, when I ask Alexa to play Spotify it will stop playing Spotify on other speaker (previously stated via Alexa) and start it on speaker where I asked. 

In sonos app it says - started from Spotify.

Is this normal behaviour and can it be changed somehow? 

Can't imagine my family asking Alexa to play Spotify and it will stop playing in other rooms?

Thanks! 

icon

Best answer by John B 23 October 2021, 23:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I think this is normal and has always been so. When I last had Spotify, which is a while back, multiple streams could be started from the Sonos app but only one using Alexa.

This is not something over which Sonos has any control.

I think this is normal and has always been so. When I last had Spotify, which is a while back, multiple streams could be started from the Sonos app but only one using Alexa.

This is not something over which Sonos has any control.

Thanks for reply! Do you know if there is a way to ask Alexa and play music without cutting it on the other speaker? Using different music services?

Thanks! 

Multiple services would probably work but I cannot test. My guess is that you would have to include the name of the service in your command, or Alexa would just use the default service. That is just a guess. And it would be a pricey option. 

I don't think a Spotify family account would help either, because you could only associate the Alexa account with one of the family logins.

As I say, I am not 100% sure on all this.

Okay thanks a lot!