Apple Music - we've run into a problem

• 17 February 2021
  • 78 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

For some reason, I cannot use the ‘My Music’ function of the Apple Music Service anymore. It displays “We’ve run into a problem. Try again.”

I have deleted the app on all my devices, reinstalled. I’ve deleted the service and reauthorized. I’ve reset my router.

Apple Music works fine. It’s only within the Sonos app that the error occurs.  Please help. Family account if that matters, and both users experience this.

78 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @gravityattracts.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community! We’d be glad to help.

Commonly this comes as a result of wireless interference, this article will help you reduce wireless interference around your Sonos products.

If you are using a local WiFi network with more than one WiFi hub or access point, I recommend that you can try to switch your system toSonosNet by wiring just one standalone Sonos device to your primary WiFi hub or router, that begins the WiFi network. Attempt music playback, or any other activity to Sonos that was previously failing, and see if the problem will be resolved.

Let us know how it goes.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

This is unsuccessful. This happens on all of my controllers (Mac, iPhone, iPad).

Nothing has changed since the ‘My Music’ function was working some months ago.  

I’ve just submitted diagnostics if you can help.  1725287185

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @gravityattracts, there was no change with a speaker wired via Ethernet cable?

Would it be possible to perform a full network refresh? You can do this by rebooting your router (turning it off for about 15 seconds before turning back on), followed by rebooting each Sonos speaker when the network is back online. Let us know if this helps!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello.

I have one speaker plugged into the router with an ethernet cable. Two others are connected via wifi.

Router has been restarted. Speakers have been restarted.

Apple Music service has been deleted and re-added.

To be clear, the problem is not with Apple Music in its entirety. I can search for and play music. It’s only when selecting the ‘My Music’ option that I get the error.

Fresh diagnostics just now 30813835.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Xander P Wondering if you have spotted any problems in my diagnostic file?

All help appreciated as this had previously been my main method of listening to Apple Music on Sonos.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @gravityattracts

As you’re experiencing the same issue on all of your controllers, and there’s been no change after rebooting the network as well as Sonos, it seems that this is an account issue - I did take a quick look at the diagnostic, and there are no obvious errors on the Sonos side of things.

If you have access to another Apple Music account, or are able to borrow one temporarily, would it be possible to add that account to Sonos, and see if there’s any difference when browsing My Music?

If an alternate Apple Music account does not show the same issue, I’d recommend reaching out to Apple Support regarding this. Let us know how you get on!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Xander P @Annazel S 

I’ve spent 45 minutes on the telephone with Apple Support. They had me share my screen and walk them through the issue. They escalated it to another department and at the end of the call, they said there is absolutely nothing wrong with my Apple Music account and that the problem lies with Sonos.

So please help me. My main Sonos use case is to play music from the Apple Music service and without access to my playlists, etc. then the Sonos ecosystem doesn’t off much value for me. 

Please help.

New diagnostics just now: 479903479

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Really disappointed no one from Sonos seems willing to help.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @gravityattracts, apologies for the late response.

Understood - did you manage to test the system using a different Apple Music account at all? Did you experience the same behaviour?

If you didn’t have access to a different Apple Music account to test with, you can also get in touch with our Support Team - they have access to some test accounts and they’ll be able to perform some live troubleshooting with you :)

I’ve seen some instances of issues with Apple Music be solved by removing the service - uninstalling and reinstalling the Apple Music app to your phone, and then adding the service back to Sonos, which may be worth trying here also.

@gravityattracts did you get a solution for this?  This is happening to me and I chatted with Sonos support via text and they couldn’t help

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@ryancarpenter27 No, the problem still exists and Sonos support has not been able to help me. Sonos is blaming the problem on Apple and Apple has insisted there is nothing wrong with my account (and I believe them). There is something wrong with the Sonos software and it is not authenticating correctly. Maybe it will break for enough people and they will have to address it at some point. 

@gravityattracts one fix that I do is airplay the regular Apple music app but we shouldn’t have to do that. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Just switched from Spotify to Apple Music and having this exact same issue when trying to access my playlists, etc. through the Sonos apps.  Keeping this topic fresh in hopes that someone is working on it.  Very frustrating.  FWIW, I used Apple Music before moving to Spotify and did not have these issues back then.

The Apple Music service on Sonos is working okay here - so it might perhaps be an account, regional, or country setting perhaps? Maybe check the Country settings are correct both in the Sonos online profile and Apple Music. Here are some links which I hope assists:

https://www.sonos.com/myaccount/user/profile/

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201389

And if not tried already, maybe remove the service from Sonos, then logout the Apple Music ‘native’ App and setup both again, starting with the Apple Music App.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Ken_Griffiths This is a great suggestion, and in fact it was right after I changed my Apple and Sonos accounts from USA to UK that the problem started. So both are now set to UK (after I physically moved to England)

I did try your suggestion of removing the service from Sonos, then logging out of the Apple music app on all my devices. Then setting both up again, Apple first. But that hasn’t worked either. 

The frustrating part for me is that PARTS of Apple Music on Sonos work for me, such as being able to search for and play music. Just not the ‘My Music’ function. I’ve added my partner to my Apple Music family plan and added her account to Sonos, and it works fine  

There is a bug with the Sonos controller. I hope they fix it. 

@Ken_Griffiths This is a great suggestion, and in fact it was right after I changed my Apple and Sonos accounts from USA to UK that the problem started. So both are now set to UK (after I physically moved to England)

I did try your suggestion of removing the service from Sonos, then logging out of the Apple music app on all my devices. Then setting both up again, Apple first. But that hasn’t worked either. 

The frustrating part for me is that PARTS of Apple Music on Sonos work for me, such as being able to search for and play music. Just not the ‘My Music’ function. I’ve added my partner to my Apple Music family plan and added her account to Sonos, and it works fine  

There is a bug with the Sonos controller. I hope they fix it. 

Don’t you need an "iTunes Match" annual subscription to play your own music on other devices, or am I misunderstanding the purpose of that Apple subscription?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Apple Music includes the iTunes Match functionality. The “My Music” bit on Sonos is to access your Apple Music playlists, etc. I really miss it. 

Apple Music includes the iTunes Match functionality. The “My Music” bit on Sonos is to access your Apple Music playlists, etc. I really miss it. 

I take it then it’s not music that you own that you are referring to? As the iTunes Match part of an Apple Music subscription relates to Apple Music ‘leased’ tracks only, whereas the  iTunes Match separate subscription is for tracks you own.. I just mention that in case you were attempting here to play your own ‘purchased/ripped’ tracks on Sonos in ‘My Music’.

I take it then it’s not music that you own that you are referring to? As the iTunes Match part of an Apple Music subscription relates to Apple Music ‘leased’ tracks only, whereas the  iTunes Match separate subscription is for tracks you own.. I just mention that in case you were attempting here to play your own ‘purchased/ripped’ tracks on Sonos in ‘My Music’.

No. Within the Apple Music subscription ‘iTunes Match’ is referred to as ‘iCloud Music Library’, and the ‘iCloud Music Library’ is part of the Apple Music subscription model. So yes, it’s perfectly possible to play your own uploaded tracks through Sonos this way.

No. Within the Apple Music subscription ‘iTunes Match’ is referred to as ‘iCloud Music Library’, and the ‘iCloud Music Library’ is part of the Apple Music subscription model. So yes, it’s perfectly possible to play your own uploaded tracks through Sonos this way.

Thanks Smilja for clarifying, I wasn’t quite sure if it applied to a users own ripped tracks.

Presumably as the built in AM service via the Sonos App is done by Apple anyway, I would have thought this would have been more an Apple account issue, rather than a Sonos one? That said my Apple playlists are working here, but they are ‘leased’ tracks rather than my own ‘ripped’ songs.

I too have no problems accessing ‘My Music’ within Apple Music on Sonos; so yes, an Apple account issue can’t be ruled out. In that case it’s best to reach out to Apple Support for assistance.

@gravityattracts @ryancarpenter27, Have you tried turning 'Sync Library' off and on again?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Smilja Yes

Keep in mind that a re-sync on the Apple/Sonos backend may take up to 24 hours.

I haver the same issue, everything works correctly apart from Albums and Artists on Apple Music on every controller. Tried everything explained above and no fix. Help on this Sonos would be great!