Apple Music users want the same as Spotify for Sonos.

• 23 December 2016
  • 11 replies

please work on this! I would really love the same functionality with my apple music that the Spotify crew are now enjoying. Although I love my sonos, it would be great to continue listening to my music from my car to my home, having that uninterupted continuation of what im listening to. And also the reversal of listening to my apple music then going into my car and continuing on.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

It would be entirely up to Apple to utilize Sonos Direct Connect. You need to go petition them.
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
No! Surely a company like Sonos should be willing to lobby Apple on behalf of THEIR customers rather than the dismissive "contact Apple yourself and don't bother us" attitude. If I and other Sonos customers would like a certain feature to be made available ON SONOS then surely some pressure could be applied on our behalf and any response fed back to us.
Too much to ask?
Sheesh. Sonos is the ONLY third party that Apple has partnered with on Apple Music. Apple is stopping production of all its networking devices, including AirPort Express. Apple is very much aware thaf its biggest streaming rival, Spotify, is already using Sonos Direct Control. Apple is possibly the greediest company in existence (other than perhaps a couple of pharmaceuticals), and hates to allow any breaks in its walled garden, but it has lost whatever vision it once had. Apple is now selling Sonos speakers in its fancy stores. The writing appears to be on the wall: Apple really doesn't have a good alternative to Sonos Direct Control for getting music into homes from its native app. Are they just too embarrassed to admit that Airplay is an unreliable, outdated mess?

Apple needs to make it happen. Go petition them.
No! Surely a company like Sonos should be willing to lobby Apple on behalf of THEIR customers rather than the dismissive "contact Apple yourself and don't bother us" attitude. If I and other Sonos customers would like a certain feature to be made available ON SONOS then surely some pressure could be applied on our behalf and any response fed back to us.
Too much to ask?

Considering the 5 or so minutes of effort to come here, sign up, and post in favor of this, I really don't see what's "too much to ask" about doing the same 5 minutes of work at Apple. We aren't talking about picketing in front of Cupertino Headquarters, it's a freaking post to a forum or Facebook page. If that's so much work that you need Sonos to act as proxy, then I really question the motivation.

Besides, how do we know Sonos hasn't approached them and they replied by saying "Well, we don't really see a call for this among our user base? If we see a bunch of requests from users, we may reconsider."?

Now wouldn't that be a kick in the behind? 😃
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Exactly, how do we know? All it takes is for Sonos to tell us and the response they have received from Apple. Then we would know where we stand and what's going on or not as the case may be.
After all, why the subtfuge?
After all, why the subtfuge?

Ever hear of an NDA? Perhaps Apple is working on it, and Sonos is subject to one, as would certainly be absolutely standard business practice. Companies have many, many reasons for keeping their plans private, especially in highly competitive businesses. We simply don't know what Apple is planning. We do know that Sonos now allows streaming companies to connect their apps to the Sonos ecosystem, using a documented API. So, again, go ask Apple.
Due to the fact that Sonos wouldn't want to tick off one of their main streaming partners? Generally speaking, unless you've got some new partnership coming, you wouldn't share any corporate communication between companies, no matter how many plaintive posts on a small community board.
Why would information about the inside business relationship between Apple and Sonos preclude one's willingness to post the same request to Apple's forum? Is the purpose of this plea to convince Apple to take advantage of Sonos' new Direct Connect functions, or is it to complain about Sonos' tight lippedness and subterfuge?

As i said above, one has to question the motivation.

And yes, no company reveals their internal dealings until they are ready to go public. I'm sure there are negotiations going on with Apple. This means nothing if you wish to convey your interest where it will be most effective. Sonos has already made the API and expressed interest in having all services adopt it, so pleading with them is preaching to the choir.
Perhaps I wasn't as clear as I should have been with my response. I was referring to the statement "All it takes is for Sonos to tell us and the response they have received from Apple. " I don't think that Sonos would "tell us" anything about their communications with Apple.

I wholeheartedly agree that posting on an Apple board requesting this feature is the absolutely correct thing to do. However, my hopes are not high, but I certainly recognize that agitating with Sonos won't get it done.
My post was directed at biffta. I probably should have quoted.
No worries. I should do that as well. Happy new year, sir!