Answered

Apple Music uploading your own music: does it work with Sonos?

• 15 February 2022
  • 4 replies

• Contributor I
  • 5 replies

Happy Sonos user here. Trying to migrate away from a world of “my music takes up my entire hard drive” to one where I can still listen to my decades of MP3s but via streaming. I’m considering a few options including Apple Music and YouTube Music which both support “upload your own songs and then stream them”. I can’t tell from the “Apple Music and Sonos” page — does Sonos with Apple Music support playing these songs specifically (the ones you upload) or just the ones that come in their streaming service? (And the same question for YouTube music too, I guess.)

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 16 February 2022, 00:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Apple Music allows you to play your own uploaded music, via the Son9s app or the Apple Music app via Airplay on iOS devices.

I’m only using YTM ‘free’ version in my Sonos App, but I see 250 tracks that I uploaded to the Goggle servers in their Sonos built-in service, so presumably you will see all tracks uploaded if you have subscribed to their service.

I can confirm that an Apple Music service subscription allows you to see any uploaded tracks too through their Sonos service.

Great. Now I just need to see if I can actually manage to get my library into Apple Music — for hard drive reasons it’s in Dropbox with “Smart Sync” so if iTunes/Music needs to get all of it local before uploading that’s gonna be bad.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Apple Music is great for this. It analyzes your personal library and anything Apple already has a copy of it gives you a copy in the cloud for streaming to any device (the Sonos S2 App included).  For music they do not have the software uploads your copy to the cloud where it resides alongside the Apple Music library (again for streaming to any device). Once the initial upload is done you won;t notice the difference between what’s yours and what’s theirs. It works seamlessly in my experience.