Answered

Apple Music "Unable to browse music"

Userlevel 2

Hi All.

Since the Apple Music outage a few days ago I just get the message “Unable to browse music” when trying yo use Apple Music.  I have removed and reloaded the account, reauthorised it etc to no avail.  I have a family account and I did notice that my partners library was working fine which seemed odd.

Its becoming a pain now as not all of my set u is Airpaty compatible so fiddling about to link things isn't very user friendly !

I see this seems to have happened over the years but wondered if anyone had a resolution to this ?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 9 June 2022, 14:17

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

129 replies

This is now resolved for me. Hope the other folks still experiencing issues have theirs resolved soon. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi Everyone,

We now consider this issue closed - Apple resolved it internally.

Just to very quickly say I’m in touch with Apple Support over the issue mentioned, as I’m still experiencing the ‘unable to browse’ problem from two different Sonos systems, at different home locations, but with the same Apple Music account. I do think it’s possibly my Apple Music account at fault here.

I did grab a few different Sonos diagnostics along the way and have already spoke to (really helpful) Sonos Support Staff, so just posting those references here for information purposes at this stage.

Apple Support (Also helpful person called ‘Cam’) is investigating/escalating the matter at Apple and plans to get back to me when he has liaised with Apple engineers.

Apple Music with Roam setup on holiday home router:

Diagnostic Report: 1195199372

Apple Music with Roam setup on main home router:

Diagnostic Report: 1391814823

Okay, I’ve managed to fix the Apple Music service on my Sonos system…

There is a suggestion mentioned in this post in another thread:

It suggests to get hold of an Android mobile, or tablet, install Apple Music on that OS and re-authorise the Apple Music Service in the Sonos S2 App from that device instead of an Apple iOS device.

I was a little sceptical beforehand, but I had tried most other things (also nothing ventured, nothing gained etc.)..and ‘voila!’ the suggestion worked for me and I can now access it via the iPad/iPhone S2 App too.

So all’s well that ends well.

Diagnostic: 695804583

This smells like a $ problem, Apple no doubt wanted more to make there product available to SONOS. 

This smells like a $ problem, Apple no doubt wanted more to make there product available to SONOS. 

I must say that Apple/Sonos have done a real nice job on the new music interface... I like the fact Apple have added the users iCloud library at the top of their service and that the library can be ‘starred’ and added to the ‘My Sonos’ tab in the Sonos App - just a nice way to quickly gain access a users own ‘matched’ library files.

It challenges the Plex interface on Sonos, plus I really like the new Apple Music categories, such as:

• Top Picks
  • Made For You
  • New Releases
  • Replay Your Top Songs by Year
  • Our Picks
  • Music by Mood
  • Daily Top 100
  • Radio Shows
  • Stations by Genre
  • and others…

…this ‘by far’ is much better than their old/S1 Apple Service interface.

Now, If only Apple/Sonos will go onto support 24/48 ALAC/Atmos audio on Sonos speakers, then that will be the icing on the cake.  

I don’t expect Sonos had all that much to do with it, it would have been Apple using most of the features allowed in the Sonos API.

I don’t think Sonos does any particular work on each streaming companies interface in the Sonos Controller.  To my knowledge, that work is done on the streaming side, the only thing that Sonos does is “approve” work, essentially it passes a QA check.

That’s my understanding, at least, and how I would set it up. To expect Sonos to work on every single interface for each streaming company seems like it could be challenging, to keep up with each company’s desires. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I don’t expect Sonos had all that much to do with it, it would have been Apple using most of the features allowed in the Sonos API.

I don’t think Sonos does any particular work on each streaming companies interface in the Sonos Controller.  To my knowledge, that work is done on the streaming side, the only thing that Sonos does is “approve” work, essentially it passes a QA check.

That’s my understanding, at least, and how I would set it up. To expect Sonos to work on every single interface for each streaming company seems like it could be challenging, to keep up with each company’s desires. 

Indeed, Sonos had nothing to do with this, all the work was from Apple.

How do I know this? Because the new Apple stuff showed up in my app, and I didn’t have to change a thing for that to happen.

The SMAPI architecture is designed for exactly this reason: so that Sonos can support ~80 services without having to different write and maintain code for ~80 services. It wasn’t like this in the early days: Pandora and Rhapsody each had their own APIs and Sonos (and I!) had to code each one individually. This overhead was not scalable.

Resolved for me as well. Glad this was taken care of by Sonos/Apple in a relatively timely manner. 

Userlevel 1

I did not have this problem a month ago, but today I do, Unable to browse music”!  Amazon works fine.

I did not have this problem a month ago, but today I do, Unable to browse music”!

There are a number of things mentioned here in the thread that may fix the issue, such as signing out of Apple Media Services and signing in again, assuming you’re using an iOS device - Also if you have an Android device, try the Sonos setup with that device after downloading and signing in to the AM App, it was the latter Android steps that eventually worked for me.

This isn’t working for me still.

Logged into and out of Apple Music on Android device and reauthenticated in Sonos 20 times - no joy.

OK.  I was able to get this working today.

What didn’t work:

• Updating all Sonos speakers
  • Updating Sonos controller on macbook
  • Reauthorizing Apple Music account on Sonos (30 times)
  • Logging in/out of Apple Music on Android device
  • Adding/removing Apple Music on Sonos
  • Resetting router
  • Trying Sonos Apple Music test account (with Sonos support)

What finally did work:

• Updating Sonos from iPad
  • Reauthorizing from iPad

Userlevel 1

Reauthorized Apple account and it is working now!

Not an Apple issue.  Lengthy troubleshooting with tech support and using Sonos 1 on Android, but it was partially corrected using a workaround.  Issue is > Add Service [Apple Music] > links to Apple Music app for authorization > completes authorization > Done > returns to Sonos app > Unable to browse library (music - I can’t remember).  Tried changing DNS on phone and router, just wouldn’t work.  Used an IOS device and worked on the first try.  Diagnostics for IOS and Android devices furnished to Sonos.  Sonos opened a case and will email me when adding via Android app should work.  Said they will likely just update the app for user base.  So Apple Music is now working in the Sonos 1 app on Android, but only after establishing the Sonos/Apple Music account setup through the Apple Music account that is registered on and activated on the IOS device.  

This isn’t working for me still.

Logged into and out of Apple Music on Android device and reauthenticated in Sonos 20 times - no joy.

see my post below

I did not have this problem a month ago, but today I do, Unable to browse music”!  Amazon works fine.

see my note if you have an Android device.

OK, I think I found a way to fix this.  Go into your STAR section (Recently played) and choose one of your apple playlists from there.  It played for me.  Then I went back into Music, chose Apple Music and it is all there again.  Hope it works for all of you!

Just tried this and it worked. The playlist I selected came up unavailable, but when I went back to the main Apple Music option it kicked back into life 

Hey guys, I have just raised a ticket with Sonos, this issue is happening to me a month later. Evidently Sonos know about it. Its particular to Android Devices using Apple Music. I just cancelled Apple Music. Going to move to Spotify. Cant be wasting my time with this nonsense.

Evidently Sonos know about it. Its particular to Android Devices using Apple Music.

Ok, after about two hours of trying to get mit Children’s Apple Music account to work on Sonos, I thought something like that… sigh. They don't need an iPhone right now, they just want to choose their own playlists and “Music” (age of “Paw Patrol” or Fireman Sam Radio Plays...) so I registered Apple Music with a children's AppleID on our family plan and tried to get it to work on the Sonos App.

Is there any plan of getting this fixed?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Still it persists! But yeah, let’s rather launch NEW speakers. 

Two different sets of folks, most likely. It would be odd to have the product designers working on software….

I'm having same issue for several weeks!  So frustrating! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

ONGOING!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi Everyone,

We now consider this issue closed - Apple resolved it internally.

And the BS continues...

“After reviewing your account and details, I found that you submitted a couple of diagnostics today, after reviewing them, I found that you are using an Android controller. I'd like to let you know that this matter has been reported internally to our engineers for further verification and we are working closely with Apple engineers to fix it.

In the meantime, The only workaround is to use an Apple device (Phone or Tablet), just to add your Apple Music account, and the account authorization will work. The iOS controller should be used just to add the Apple Music service to the system. In case you don't have an iOS device in your household, but you have a friend or family member that is using one, you can borrow it and add the music service once. After that, you will not need the iOS device added to your system.

As soon as I get an update from our engineers I will definitely come back to you with an email to let you know the status of the issue, rest assured.”