Answered

Apple Music Playlists are no longer added to Sonos

• 12 April 2020
  • 8 replies

So the fact that Apple renamed iTunes to Apple Music - AND has a streaming music service of the same name has made searching for a solution to my problem a challenge.

I do. not have a streaming Apple Music account - but I DO have a new laptop that has the Apple Music application (formerly iTunes). In the past I haven’t had any problems getting my playlists from iTunes to appear in my Sonos app but that is no longer the case with the new Apple Music app.

I’m stuck with an old list of Playlists and can’t add any new ones. It seems as though the list is no longer synched between Sonos and Apple. 

Any thoughts?

icon

Best answer by Sebastien D. 16 April 2020, 21:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Welcome to the Community. Unfortunately this is due to the update on to MacOS 10.15 update. Apple has removed support from iTunes using .xml files. This means that you cannot import iTunes which is now the new Music app playlist on Sonos anymore. The workarounds are as follows:

Workaround(s)

• If possible, Airplay compatible speakers, they can airplay the respective playlists from the new Music App to Sonos.
  • Use iTunes on Windows to share music library to Sonos.
  • Create a folder called "iTunes" within the user's "music" folder. Then re index the Sonos Music library and the playlists within the Music App should now appear in Sonos.   *Note : Smart playlists are not supported for imported playlists on Sonos.
  • Subscribe to Apple Music and add as a service to Sonos. 

@jdingwell since the introduction of macOS Catalina the file structure and permissions have changed - verify ithe settings of the SONOS APP - alternatively I suggest to use Airp

I found the new location for Apple Playlists. Instead of going to your Music Library, go to “Browse” and then to to “Apple Music”. You will find your playlist there under “My Music”. 

Diagnostic #: 1254326539

@pub52: what does “go to Browse” mean? Does that assume I subscribe to Apple Music? Thanks

Newbie here, Could I convert Apple music to MP3 then import to SONOS directly ?

Not sure what you mean by ‘import into Sonos directly’. Sonos doesn’t store music, it merely points to locations where you have already stored your music, either locally or in a cloud service. If you have an iTunes library already, you should be able to just use the information in the FAQ to point Sonos to it. 

So I subscribed to Apple Music, and added it to Sonos. When I access Apple Music Playlists in Sonos… same thing. No updated playlists. Same-old, old playlists. Losing my mind. Someone just tell me Sonos and Apple have parted ways on playlists and I will commence manually transferring selected apple playlists to Spotify. And kiss off Apple Music forever?

PS So I guess I am saying the last bullet point in Sebastien’s workarounds is not viable