Answered

Apple Music: one account, two controllers

• 5 April 2019
  • 9 replies

Is it possilbe to control Sonos system with two different smartphones and have Apple Music in Sonos App on both of them, while having only one Apple Music account?
icon

Best answer by pwt 5 April 2019, 11:25

Yes. The Apple Music account details are held in the Sonos players; the controller apps are just remote controls.
View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Yes. The Apple Music account details are held in the Sonos players; the controller apps are just remote controls.
Even after using Apple Music for a couple of years, I am not sure about this: can one play different music from one Apple Music account in two rooms at the same time?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Even after using Apple Music for a couple of years, I am not sure about this: can one play different music from one Apple Music account in two rooms at the same time?
I didn't think that was the question, although it might have been.

I know that it's possible with Spotify, which supports multiple simultaneous Sonos streams, provided Spotify is not also being used directly from a Spotify app. (in which case the usual mutual exclusion applies). Note that Spotify Connect counts as a Sonos stream, not an app stream.

I'd be interested to know whether the same is true for Apple Music.
I have only one Apple Music account and I want myself and my wife have this account in two different Sonos Apps on two different smartphones. Is it possible?
I shall have to stop being lazy, try this and report; I do have a Apple family plan but that is used as such by the family for music on their phones so this kind of use does not happen at home in practice on Sonos. I know that Amazon music does not stream more than one stream at a time on Dots registered together, I need to see what Apple does.
I have only one Apple Music account and I want myself and my wife have this account in two different Sonos Apps on two different smartphones. Is it possible?
Yes for sure if you will not want to play different music from Apple Music at the same time. For this, I am not sure as of now.
To clarify: different music can be played at the same time if you have more than one Sonos player. I don't know for sure if this can be done via one Apple music account, that's all. If you have only one Sonos unit, this question does not arise, and the answer to your question is Yes.
As @pwt implied, you are actually asking the wrong question. The Apple Music account does not link to a controller device or app, it links to your Sonos system. So you can link your one Apple Music account to your one Sonos system, and then any of your Sonos controller apps can see the account and tell the system to play music from it; the apps are just controllers.

I don't think your question was about whether different streams can be played simultaneously, but I'd be surprised if this were not so. I have been able to play multiple streams on Google Play Music, Deezer, Spotify and Amazon Music at various times in the past and present, and struggle to believe that Apple Music would not do the same. Maybe Kumar will confirm?!
A further note: with Amazon Music I can play multiple streams using the app, but not Alexa. I think the same was true with Spotify. Don't know why. (I suspect I am off original topic here.)