Question

Apple Music offline music

Hello, I wonder why we wouldn't be able to play the songs that we make available offline through the Sonos, streaming them and consuming our bandwidth doesn't really make a whole lot of sense when the songs are already on the device, if we didn't have the right to play the songs, they wouldn't be there on the first place as if we didn't have an Apple Music account we wouldn't be able to download them. Here in Canada to have unlimited data in our houses can be costly, the device sound is really the best out there (for me) but it the way music is played doesn't really make a lot of sense, why all the other brands let people play music through AirPlay and you guys don't? Currently have less than 30 days with the play 5, I would hate to return it because I really like the sound but doesn't seem very practical.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Apple don't allow this. Don't blame Sonos. The songs are on the device but restricted within Apple Music. Any music you have purchased and stored on your phone can be played by Sonos, unless DRM protected by Apple.
Maybe not for the Apple Music to play through the Sonos app offline, but AirPlay could be a good alternative
And Sonos doesn't support Airplay but you could use an Airport Express with the Play 5 to achieve this.
Sonos doesn't have Airplay for many good reasons. One being that Airplay is rubbish.
Exactly, there's really no need to go through that when maybe just a simple firmware update to support AirPlay could be done, the people who want to keep using the sonos app can still use it and whoever wants to use the iPhone music application could use that as well and everyone would be happy
And Sonos would have to pay license fees to Apple, and would wind up with many more support calls due to Airplay's notorious dropouts. Not so simple, and not likely to happen.
Not the remotest possibility it will happen. Thank goodness.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Apple don't allow this. Don't blame Sonos.Without making any 'If it doesn't do it now, it must be Apple's policy' assumptions, do you know this for fact? Is there a link? I'm aware of similar requests for Spotify offline play too.
Without making any 'If it doesn't do it now, it must be Apple's policy' assumptions, do you know this for fact? Is there a link? I'm aware of similar requests for Spotify offline play too.

It is a fact that going back to the first iPod, Apple has never licensed their DRM encryption to any third party players. So I imagine that is what John B is referring to.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Right, so the DRM of offline files is different to the online ones. Didn't know that. They open up the online one to Sonos though?
Right, so the DRM of offline files is different to the online ones. Didn't know that. They open up the online one to Sonos though?

Yes, streaming Apple Music is allowed on third party devices, playing of downloaded files is still limited.
Presumably Apple don't want to make it too easy for users to listen to offline content in high quality sound through systems like Sonos, because that would be an alternative to actually buying the songs. Like I said, don't blame Sonos.

The same applies to Spotify offline content.
Presumably Apple don't want to make it too easy for users to listen to offline content in high quality sound through systems like Sonos, because that would be an alternative to actually buying the songs. Like I said, don't blame Sonos.

The same applies to Spotify offline content.

I don't think that this is to force a purchase; Apple Music subscribed content plays from the net via Sonos with quality that is just as good as that of the master being streamed.

For clarification, since my Apple app is on an Android: even if I had an iPhone where the offloaded content would be accessed via the Music icon, the "On this Phone" source would not work as it would for purchased music available under the same icon on the phone?
I see the answer to the above question on the Sonos user knowledge base; it would be grayed out because of DRM. Though I can't see a DRM based reason for this restriction as I can see one for not allowing this music to be played directly by Sonos from a NAS.
I see the answer to the above question on the Sonos user knowledge base; it would be grayed out because of DRM. Though I can't see a DRM based reason for this restriction as I can see one for not allowing this music to be played directly by Sonos from a NAS.Yes it is greyed out because Apple choose to DRM it. And I still believe this to be because of licensing issues and because it would be commercially unfavourable to Apple to make offline content as fully usable as purchased content.
There are no service providers who will license their DRM to third party hardware players. Streaming DRM is different, because they can ensure there are no ways to capture the stream and render it as a perfect copy. However, Apple, Spotify, Google, etc., are not going to give their DRM scheme for downloaded files to a third party hardware vendor. Not only is it too risky, it is probably a stipulation in their licensing agreements.
Yes, Sonos does not even have access to the encrypted files via Spotify Connect. All downloaded content is retrieved directly from Spotify with the native app acting solely as controller.
There are no service providers who will license their DRM to third party hardware players. Streaming DRM is different, because they can ensure there are no ways to capture the stream and render it as a perfect copy. However, Apple, Spotify, Google, etc., are not going to give their DRM scheme for downloaded files to a third party hardware vendor. Not only is it too risky, it is probably a stipulation in their licensing agreements.
I agree, so there isn't any point lobbying any one. Sonos now has a declared focus on streaming as opposed to local NAS as a source, and IMO, offline play is a part of these services. One hopes Sonos to therefore take the lead is putting a solution that addresses both tech and commercial issues surrounding this to allow licensing agreements to be changed to accommodate this to a greater extent than today.

An open ended NAS hosting of offline content may not be possible, but a middle approach may be - as an example for music held on and played from the phone as is possible with both iPhones and Android devices through Sonos now, offline content hosted on the device could be made playable through Sonos in a way that does not compromise artiste revenue streams.