Answered

Apple Music not playing

• 11 September 2020
  • 13 replies

Hi!  After scrolling through a lot of topics on here I see that a lot of people have been having connectivity issues with Apple music.  I’ve tried some of the fixes but none have worked for me.

Since ‘upgrading’ to the S2 app my amazing Sonos experience has went from 100 to 0, I now can not play any music from Apple music, every time I try I just keep on getting the 701 or 1001 error code.  I have rebooted all devices and router - no change, I have re-installed the app on all of my iOS devices - no change, I have factory reset all of my Sonos devices and then re-installed - no change.

I also have my Play 5 (1st gen) on the S1 app, this also does not play Apple music.

Ideally I’d like all of my speakers on the same app so I could go back to having the amazing experience I had before the S1 and S2 app ‘upgrades’.

I have recently added amazon music which works fine on my Sonos setup, Sonos radio also works fine. Only Apple music doesn’t work which is where all of my playlists are.

Has anyone had the same problem?  How did you fix it?

I have just submitted a diagnostics report after re-installing everything again after the latest S2 app update (which as usual has fixed nothing).  

Diagnostics confirmation number is 1606376191

icon

Best answer by Annazel S 22 September 2020, 14:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @pdsabre120.

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the community!

I appreciate your detailed post outlining the issue as well as the steps that you did, let me help and try to figure this out.

This error (701/1001) means that a Sonos speaker tried to play music but couldn’t finish the request, caused by network communication problems, either between Sonos and your router or between Sonos and the internet. You may refer to this article, it provides the step by step instruction that will help resolve this error.

Upon checking the diagnostic report, an audio playback issue due to not getting enough bandwidth was detected by the system.

It also shows on the diagnostic that your iOS controller is not connected on the same Wifi where Sonos was set up, it is connected to a Wifi extension (EXT) coming from a different device.

Have you tried using a different controller? Ensure that the controller/device is connected to the same Wifi network as your Sonos system is using.

If the above advice was followed and the issue persists, please submit a new diagnostic report, and reply with the confirmation number.

I'd be glad to review your system further and see if there’s anything else causing this issue.

Hi Annazel,

Thanks for looking into my issues.  

I have switched off my wifi extender so now all of my speakers are connected to the same network and apple music still won’t play.  I’m not sure if the network can be at fault as it’s only apple music which doesn’t play - Sonos radio and Amazon music plays fine.

I have tried using my iPhone and my Mac as controllers, both don’t work.

I’ve submitted a new diagnostic report as requested - 622925265.

Thanks

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @pdsabre120.

Thanks for your response and for the update.

Have you tried playing it on the Apple Music native app itself?

Can you try to re-authorize the Apple Music service through the Sonos app?

For reference, this article will show you how to browse music services and add them to Sonos.

I see on the diagnostic report that symptoms indicative of interference have been detected on one or more Sonos components running on your Wifi.

Commonly this condition can be caused by wireless interference due to wireless congestion.

I suggest changing the wireless channel on the wireless router (or access point) by logging in through a web browser or through the router/AP's designated App.

Note: This may involve disabling automatic channel assignment on the wireless router or access point, and if you’re not comfortable doing changes, you can seek assistance with your ISP or the router’s manufacturer.

Currently, it is on channel 11, I tried to check that frequency and it appears to be kinda congested, better to set it on the cleanest so far, channel 6.

If the router/AP uses an automatic channel assignment, it is recommended that this be disabled.

Ideally, select channels 1, 6, or 11, these are the preferred non-overlapping channel.

Then test it again.

Hopefully, that solves it but if not, please submit a new diagnostic within 3 minutes after the channel change, so I can review the result and determine if wireless interference has been reduced. 

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to reach out.

I don’t have an option to send music to my Sonos speakers via Apple music Airplay, I think this is because they are 1st generation Play 1’s.

I have re-authorised apple music - no change.

I have changed wireless channels, it is now set to channel 6 as you recommended - no change.

New diagnostic 944486929.

How does amazon music and sonos radio work fine and apple music does not?

Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @pdsabre120.

Thanks for your response. 

Upon reviewing the diagnostic, the system still detected interference and transport error.

I noticed an error when Apple Music playback was initiated, and it indicates loss of connection for the account.

As requested in my previous post, kindly verify if Apple Music is working on the native app itself.

Try to remove and re-add the Apple music service through the Sonos app to clear up if there’s any account discrepancy.

Please ensure that the account in use is the right Apple account.

You may refer to this article that will show you how to browse music services and add them to Sonos

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to reach out.

Hi Annazel,

Yes, Apple Music plays fine from the native app.  I have tried to re-add my account to Sonos but this didn’t fix the problem. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @pdsabre120.

Thanks for your response, sorry to hear that the issue is not yet fixed.

I appreciate the time and effort you've spent troubleshooting with us, but at this point, it would be best to reach out to

Sonos Support so they can take a closer look at this in real-time.

I suggest phone support for they have more resources available on their system for advanced troubleshooting, and the tools our agents can use would be very useful in this case, there can be an advantage if they need to remote into the computer/controller to see what's going on.

Our contact information and hours can be found on the above link.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know.

Hi Annazel

I appreciate your help so far.  Unfortunately calling Sonos support is not an option for me as I am not based in one of the countries which has a support telephone number, a long international call to try to resolve this will probably cost the same as a new Sonos system.

Is there any other way to get support?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @pdsabre120.

Thanks for your response.

You may also try chat support if it is available in your country. 

This option can be found also on the website support.sonos.com, you may need to login first using your Sonos account.

Another link for contact options:

www.sonos.com/contact/contact-options

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns, we are always here to help.

I’m having the same issue. Any resolution??

thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @LuigiP13 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

If you’ve followed the advice above, namely removing the Apple account from Sonos and adding it again, and have rebooted your router by switching it off for 30 seconds, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team so they can get diagnostics from your system and give you some system-specific advice. 

Userlevel 1

Hi same issue here.  Apple Music plays fine on phone. Apple Music plays fine on Sonos 1 system. However on Sonos 2 system I am getting the 701 error.  Tried reset of modem, routers, reauth, and delete/re-add service none of which worked (makes sense since Sonos 1 system plays just fine).  Spotify and other services play just fine on my Sonos 2 system, only Apple stopped working.  This seems to be a problem introduced to the Sonos 2 system.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Jason Korpics 

Thanks for posting. The same advice applies - remove the Apple account from Sonos then add it again and if that doesn’t help, reboot your router. If this also doesn’t help, get in touch with our technical support team as the issue is likely network related. It’s also worth keeping an eye on our service status page for any known music service outages.