Apple Music, My Music

• 3 April 2021
  • 3 replies

I have my Apple Music account linked to Sonos. When I browse “My Music” in the Sonos app, I can see all the albums that I have downloaded on my phone, but some (or in some cases all) of the songs are grey’d out. When I look at the same album on the Apple Music app, the songs are all available / not grey’d out.

Any ideas / advice, please?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Music tracks that you’ve downloaded are part of the Apple Music subscription, thus ‘Fairplay’-protected (DRM), and therefore only playable through the Music app on the iPhone. When being requested those songs are being fetched directly from the Apple Servers by Sonos.

Thanks for the reply, Smilja. That makes sense - however, some of the grey’d out tracks are actual mp3’s which I have downloaded from CDs (or uploaded or imported … or whatever we used to call it when we had CDs :)). Does Sonos still fetch these from Apple servers, rather than from my phone?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Thanks for the reply, Smilja. That makes sense - however, some of the grey’d out tracks are actual mp3’s which I have downloaded from CDs (or uploaded or imported … or whatever we used to call it when we had CDs :)). Does Sonos still fetch these from Apple servers, rather than from my phone?

AirPlay is currently the only way to play tracks physically stored on your iPhone on Sonos speakers (with the exception of Bluetooth on the Sonos Move). If you’re playing music and not using AirPlay, then the tracks being played are not coming directly from your iPhone but from your Apple account.