Apple Music issues on Sonos One

• 14 December 2020
  • 4 replies

I just bought this because of Apple Music support. I have set up Google assistant and when I say hey Google play …. on Apple Music it says “not supported”. I have also added the speaker to my Apple home and when I use my Apple Watch and say “hey Siri play …. On Sonos” (I’ve named it Sonos via Apple home) it doesn’t work. Any ideas? Or do I just subscribe to Spotify for direct support? 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @jamesk811

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us about your concern. Let me share some information about this.

The prompt you received when you asked Google Assistant to play on Apple Music is not yet supported. We have no information to share with you at the moment. You can add another voice service like Alexa which will work with your Apple Music. If you have a Spotify subscription, you can add it to the Sonos app or stream directly from the Spotify app to your Sonos devices.

Apple Home app lets you control smart home products using apps on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac, or simple Siri voice commands with the key features to play, pause, skip, and volume control. 

To isolate the issue with the Apple Home app, I'd like to ask some questions

• Is the room name of your Sonos speaker the same in the Apple Home app?
  • Is your Sonos player has been set up in the past as an accessory to a different user Apple Home app?
  • Have you tried to force restart your iOS devices that are running the Home application?

Let us know how you get on with the questions above and then run a diagnostic report. Kindly include the confirmation number in your response for us to check. If you have any questions about this. We and the community are always here to help.

When will Apple Music via Google Assistant be supported on Sonos? Why is it difficult to provide any information?

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @macs, thanks for reaching out to the Sonos community and for letting us know about your concern. About your question on Apple Music via Google Assistant, we don't have information to share with you at the moment. I'd also recommend bringing this concern to Apple and Google. Please let us know if you have any further questions, we'll be glad to assist you.

It should be soon. Google themselves have let us do it for a while on their own devices. 

If the Sonos one is going to be marketed with all the third party voice assistants (Alexa, google assistant, one day Siri???), and therefore have the best of Sonos sound and the best of voice assistants, they need to work faster at making sure their products work the same as a £30 echo or nest mini. Because something a simple as “play Apple Music” is basic functionality. 

Big Sonos fan but hope this comes quickly for my move and arc.