Apple Music “For You” vs Sonos “For You”

The music selection from iTunes Apple Music For You is different that what I see under Sonos > Browse > Apple Music > For you. I am trying to play music that Apple Music has suggested and does not come up within Sonos App.. I created a playlist out of the music within iTunes and after reindexing my music, the playlist shows up within Sonos but only has 1 of 24 songs available. How can I see the same music within Sonos?

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +18
Hi, glgonzales. Welcome to the community. There could be a number of things at play here and I think you have two separate issues. With regards to the first one you mentioned, Apple ultimately has control over the recommendations that appear both in our controller and on their own service. I'd be happy to provide that feedback via the appropriate channel so hopefully they can get one to more closely mirror the other. However, the other issue likely relates to files stored locally on your computer, as it involves your music library. In order for us to properly identify and resolve the issue, I would suggest giving us a call. Many thanks, we look forward to hearing from you.
Hello,

I do have the same issue. The "For You" section in the Sonos App does not show the same things as the "For You" section in Apple Music. It doesn't even get updated every day. At least several albums or playlists show up for many days, whereas in the Apple Music app this section gets completely updated on a daily basis.

This is super annoying, because I do like the recommendations in the Apple Music app very often. Heading over to the Sonos Controller, I cannot find those items then.
I have the exact same issue and complaint.
rftoomey wrote:

I have the exact same issue and complaint.

Take your complaint to Apple because they are responsible for the integration of Apple Music on Sonos.
I have the same issue and it really bothers me. Sonos ‘for you’ is simply a long long list of music with no sense of curation, whereas from within the Apple Music app it is much easier to access and understand recommendations. Whether it is Sonos or Apple responsible for integration, Sonos should be taking action. Apple Car Play has a fully functioning ‘For you’ playlist in new cars so Sonos should too.
MrRee wrote:

I have the same issue and it really bothers me. Sonos ‘for you’ is simply a long long list of music with no sense of curation, whereas from within the Apple Music app it is much easier to access and understand recommendations. Whether it is Sonos or Apple responsible for integration, Sonos should be taking action. Apple Car Play has a fully functioning ‘For you’ playlist in new cars so Sonos should too.

How is Sonos supposed to "take action" if it is fully Apple's responsibility? Sonos cannot unilaterally change Apple's implementation, and I highly doubt Sonos has any influence on how a trillion dollar company prioritizes its development.
jgatie - Of course Sonos has influence - they are a key market player for enjoying Apple Music on external devices across the world amongst a premium customer base. And those in Apple responsible for 'Apple Music' (vs those concentrating on HomePod sales - a different team) are also wanting the best experience to be enjoyed on any device, whether made by Apple or not, or experience on PC or Mac, etc.

I don't know whether you have personal experience of using Apple Music 'For You' presented as it is within the Sonos App, but it is simply abysmal (like wading through a long list of words in a dictionary, scrolling and scrolling through screens until you perhaps find something interesting). It is highly likely something that could quickly be resolved if Sonos coders were made aware of the issue (it is essentially just grouping playlists), and if necessary, including the relevant technical and marketing stakeholders from within Apple Music.

And yes, Apple do work in partnership with large developers/players like Sonos all the time.
Userlevel 4
Badge +20
MrRee wrote:

It is highly likely something that could quickly be resolved if Sonos coders were made aware of the issue (it is essentially just grouping playlists), and if necessary, including the relevant technical and marketing stakeholders from within Apple Music.

Clearly you have no understanding of how music service integration works on Sonos. The entirety of the metadata is determined by the service: Sonos do NOTHING with it except show it and act on it when clicked. It is up to the SMAPI service (Apple in this case) to present all of that data in a way they see fit, which is clearly not the same was as you see fit. Complain to Apple, and/or use Airplay to stream from iTunes to Sonos.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings