Question

Apple Music content is missing from Albums.

Userlevel 3
Badge

A couple of days ago I went to play an album from my Apple Music library though my Sonos Connect, and could not find it. Looking more closely, I noticed that the “Albums” menu item only contains a tiny fraction of my music library - almost everything is missing. “Recently Added” and “Playlists” both look OK, but “Albums” is bad. I see the same on several controllers: Windows, Mac, iPhone, iPad are all the same.

Moreover, in the Windows application, when I visit “Albums”, I can browse it for a short time, and then the application terminates (the window just closes with no error message).

My library looks perfectly fine in iTunes and the native Apple Music app.

I left it a few days in case it was a transient effect but it persists.

I have tried removing the Apple Music service from my system and reconnecting it afresh, but this does not help.

I probably need a Sonos support case for this but the web site suggests that I try the forum first. I generated diagnostics 641008197 in case it helps anybody.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

74 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Just to set your expectation, I would suggest subscribing to this thread and our announcement topic for any feature releases, bug fixes, and updates. This thread will be updated once the feature request has been addressed and the same information would be posted on our announcement topic.

With respect, I don’t think it is reasonable to describe this as a “feature request”. It’s a bug. It used to work, and now it doesn’t. The current behaviour is self evidently wrong. It’s a bug which affects the core functionality of the product. It shouldn’t take this long to fix it.

Can you give a time-frame to sort this issue out?  It is so frustrating and really detracts from the enjoyment of using Sonos

Userlevel 1
Badge

I also have the same problem. It is a major pain to try to play anything on my Apple library when I used to be able to easily scroll through all the albums.  This is not a feature to be added it is a Bug to Be fixed because it used to work were all the albums would be listed. 
How many people have to complain Before Sonos fixes this.

I have the same issue. A small subset of my albums show in Album view and the navigation by letter on the right hand side doesn’t work.

Any ETA on a bug fix. This must be impacting a lot of the user base and the response in this bug is not fast.

I also have the same problem. It is a royal pain in the you know what, as I don’t see all of my albums in Sonos, only about 25 albums out of 300. I don’t want to have to search for an album all the time. I would like the previous ability where we could scroll through and see all the albums. Paul A Any status update on a resolution for this bug? Yes, it is a bug not a feature :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Why is there still no reply from Sonos?   Are they inefficient or just struggling to change their app or maybe they can’t be bothered? Whatever the reason for their silence, good customer relations demands they tell what is going on.

Because this is Apple’s problem to fix. Sonos support ~70 different music services, each one is up to that provider to deal with.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I’m still running 12.0.6 but the error has nevertheless somehow been fixed. Good news about that, and who knows whether the problem was Apple or Sonos, but low marks to Sonos for communicating anything of substance about the cause and the possible turn around time for a fix (or even announcing the fix through this forum). 

I am assuming Apple fixed their SMAPI service, Sonos may not have even been aware of the problem, never mind the fix.

Same issue as others.  What is this, one month, and no fix?  I’m new to Sonos and I have to say that I’m thoroughly unimpressed with the service.

I just clicked update on the Windows app thinking perhaps this would fix the Apple Music Album view, but no, it’s still broken.

I have roughly 15-20% of my albums, the sort order is broken, and I can crash the windows app every single time by scrolling near the bottom of the Album view. The iOS app has the same truncated list, but at least won’t crash every time I scroll to the end.

The reason I use Apple Music over Spotify is because old man that I am I like to listen to music as whole albums, not all music by an artist or playlists etc. This issue makes my very expensive Sonos system considerably less easy to use, and I’m frustrated that Sonos won’t even acknowledge the issue.

Ironically, I just got a survey asking if I’d recommend Sonos - the answer is right now, no I wouldn’t.

Userlevel 2

It’s now a month since this defect was identified.  Could we please have an update with timing for a fix. This is a significant defect affecting the way users access Apple Music albums. Work arounds are not, after this time, a sufficient response. Please let us know what is being done to fix it (and please don’t just remind us to keep an eye on this thread for updates - positive information please).  Thank you!

Userlevel 3
Badge

The albums are showing when I go from apple music → My Music → Artist. When I select an artist, I see all the albums from that artist that are in my apple music library (cloud). When browsing via my Music → Albums, a lot of these albums are missing.

I can confirm that I see that too. Everything seems to be there under “Artists”, and “Playlists” are fine too. I’m not sure about “Songs” as I don’t find it generally useful. I think the problem may be confined to “Albums”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

To me the solution is simple. If Apple broke the Sonos app, then Sonos should remedy that for their customers. Sonos programmers are every bit as smart as the guys at Apple. They can fix the issues, I’m certain. All Sonos need to is call Apple and ask if that’s ok, I can’t see why Apple would mind. Would this be a resolve?

On one of the other Apple threads, Sonos support does say they have communicated the issue to Apple, which is about all they can do. Its not like e.g. YouTube Music, who never fix a damn thing: Apple do usually, slowly, fix their stuff for Sonos.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

With respect, I don’t think it is reasonable to describe this as a “feature request”. It’s a bug. It used to work, and now it doesn’t. The current behaviour is self evidently wrong. It’s a bug which affects the core functionality of the product. It shouldn’t take this long to fix it.

You must be new around here? Apple really don’t give a rip about proper Sonos support, they just keep their SMAPI service running and are seldom responsive to any requests to fix things. Spotify are the same. but the smaller music service companies do seem to care a lot more, and even have folks on these forums helping people on occasion.

A couple of days ago I went to play an album from my Apple Music library though my Sonos Connect, and could not find it. Looking more closely, I noticed that the “Albums” menu item only contains a tiny fraction of my music library - almost everything is missing. “Recently Added” and “Playlists” both look OK, but “Albums” is bad. I see the same on several controllers: Windows, Mac, iPhone, iPad are all the same.

Moreover, in the Windows application, when I visit “Albums”, I can browse it for a short time, and then the application terminates (the window just closes with no error message).

I have tried removing the Apple Music service from my system and reconnecting it afresh, but this does not help.

I probably need a Sonos support case for this but the web site suggests that I try the forum first. I generated diagnostics 641008197 in case it helps anybody.

I have the same issue.  Only few Apple Music albums load  on IOS devices and when i try to access my albums from the sonos app on windows it crashed.  I have removed and reauthorized apple music 100 times but it doesn’t help.   Please help!!! this is unacceptable. 

Badge

Sonos!  It’s been months and this problem persists.  I can see (in the Album view) just 15 of 1200 albums (1%!).  They’re present in the Artist view, can be searched, etc.  I was planning to buy a pair of Play Five’s but I’m forced to reconsider….

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sonos!  It’s been months and this problem persists.  I can see (in the Album view) just 15 of 1200 albums (1%!).  They’re present in the Artist view, can be searched, etc.  I was planning to buy a pair of Play Five’s but I’m forced to reconsider….

This is Apple’s problem to fix. Go ask them on their support forum. Good luck.

Userlevel 2

I have the same problem. I’d like to subscribe to the thread but it’s not at clear how to do that. 

how do you subscribe to a thread?

I also have this problem with missing albums which appeared to coincide with the latest upgrade release.  It’s not obvious how to subscribe to a thread however I appear to have done this by clicking the “Add to Favorites” button in the original question.  You can check that you are subscribed by clicking your account icon in the top right of the page and it should show the number of your subscriptions. 

Badge

This is Apple’s problem to fix. Go ask them on their support forum. Good luck.

If that’s so, Sonos should be pushing to get it done.  That’s much more likely to be effective than a single customer complaint.  On the other hand if Sonos doesn’t care, then I don’t care to buy more from them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

It frustrates me - Sonos really have no clue about this. None.

Sonos Support don’t always seem to recognize which issues are Sonos’, and which are Apple’s.

This thread is all about Apple’s problems to fix (though some have been fixed, the scroll index one remains).

At the minimum we all deserve an update from Sonos.  If the issue was caused by apple, i would not be able to see all the albums in windows.  Although the sonos app for windows crashes when scrolling through the albums, I was able to see all of them before it crashed.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

At the minimum we all deserve an update from Sonos.  If the issue was caused by apple, i would not be able to see all the albums in windows.  Although the sonos app for windows crashes when scrolling through the albums, I was able to see all of them before it crashed.  

Really? Install my app for Windows (its free to try for a month, see my profile), and see what is shown there. That will prove whether its the Sonos app, or Apple’s service.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks for your suggestions. I’ll go through your points:

It shows some playback failure and audio playback stopped issue due to not enough bandwidth provided from the router via internet connection.

That is interesting. I think this must have been a transient effect. My internet connection is in general very good (Virgin Media cable at around 350Mbit/s) and I don’t normally have a problem streaming audio and video streams. There have been a few short-lived problems recently, but at the moment it is working very well.

Reboot the router

As it happens, my router rebooted the other day for unrelated reasons, and it didn’t have any effect on this problem.

Reboot your Sonos Connect.

I’ve done that just now, to no effect.

Force close and re-open the Sonos app

The problem isn’t related to any particular instance of the Sonos app. At various times I run the controller on my iPhone, my iPad, a Macbook and a Windows PC. They all show exactly the same problem with the view of Apple Music, notwithstanding app restarts, machine reboots etc. The problem remains.

Regarding your “further steps”, I think you might have misunderstood what my problem is. My problem does not relate to the music library on any particular computer on my network. In fact the Sonos access to my local music library is working perfectly and shows all of the music that is stored locally.

The problem relates to the Sonos view of my Apple Music library as served over the internet from Apple, i.e. choosing “Apple Music” as the service I wish to use, and then navigating to “Albums”. My Apple library has 3 kinds of item in it:

• Music purchased through the iTunes store
  • Imported music which is available by virtue of iTunes Match (either “matched” or “uploaded”)
  • Items from Apple Music added to my library under my Apple Music subscription

My entire library is visible from Apple’s native Music app. But from the Sonos interface, although I can see examples of all three categories, only a tiny fraction of what should be there is visible. Moreover, the alphabetic splitting is mixed up. Let me show you a screenshot:

You will have to take my word for it that the list is incomplete, but you can see at a glance that this listing is anomalous. The first item begins with “A” but is categorised under “#”. Then everything else (all the way to the end in fact) comes under “A”. This looks essentially the same on all devices.

I should say, by the way, that it used to work properly. I only bought my Sonos Connect when you started supporting Apple Music, and it was my main reason for buying it, as an interface to play my Apple Music library through my legacy analogue sound system. It was all working very well. Until a few days before my posting, I could see my entire library. I sometimes had issues with searching for what I wanted, but it was all there. Sometimes I would see an occasional track “greyed out” for no obvious reason - I intended to report that at some point but for the time being was living with it. But this incomplete Albums listing makes the facility nearly unusable.

Does this clarify my problem?

I have same iasue

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @m1maj.

Thanks for the detailed feedback that clarified everything.

upon checking out internal articles about this issue, I came across the following recommendations.

• I recommend to use search for the particular Album within Apple Music-> My Music -> on Sonos.
  • You should then see the respective Album in their library and be able play it.
  • I would recommend subscribing to this thread for future updates from Sonos.

Just to set your expectation, I will be morethan happy to report this to our engineering team for collation. Please keep an eye out on this thread for updates regarding possible resolution or fix to the problem.

Please let me know if you still have further issues or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Did anyone receive any updates from Sonos? It looks like this issue still persists.