Apple Music Account Selection Not Always Sticky

• 15 January 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
  • Enthusiast I
  • 54 replies

The Sonos iOS app supports multiple end user accounts for a single music service. In my case my spouse and I each have an Apple Music account (let’s call them A1 and A2) and the app can easily switch between A1 and A2. My problem (and I suspect this is a bug) is that the selection of A1 or A2 isn’t always sticky (and it should be!)

I own two separate Sonos systems, in two different locations, which share a single household ID. When I move between locations, the account selection is *always* reset to A1, even if it was previously A2 in both locations. In other words, it’s sticky in the app until I switch locations.

In practise, since the reset is often not noticed, this means that A1’s and A2’s recently played lists and preferences etc get mixed up by Apple Music, defeating much of the user personalization that Apple Music tries to provide.

So, Sonos, is this a bug, a limitation, or WAD? (I’m running S2.)

Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @ings

Thank you for reaching out to the Sonos community and letting us know about your concern. Let me share some information with you.

Music services added in the Sonos app arranged in alphabetical order. It is the same if you have multiple accounts for the same music service. When you join a controller in your Sonos system, it is always the A1 account is selected even if you previously used A2 account. There's no option in the Sonos app to select or mark the primary account.

Do you also name your Apple music account as A1 and A2? Try to remove and re-add the Apple Music service and rename the account. It should be unique for identification.

If you're still having the same issue, It would be best to contact our phone support team to help you out. Our phone support has the tools to check what's going on in your system and to remotely access your device to address the issue.

Let us know if you need help with any other information, we're here to answer any further questions you have.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

When I switch physical locations and reconnect, the account selection is indeed behaving exactly as you described - my Sonos app is reconnects to the first account, based on alphabetical order of the account names. So it seems this scenario is working as designed, or at least working as implemented.

As you hint, it would be very useful if a primary music service account could be designated. That way when we change locations my phone would always connect to my account, and my spouse’s phone would always connect to their account.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @ings

Thanks for your response and for sharing your feedback with us. We really appreciate it. It would be great if you can assign or mark the primary account for multiple music accounts. This feature is not yet available in the Sonos app. What I can do is to pass along your interest with our engineers. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have further questions, additional feature requests, or concerns. We are always happy to help out.