Answered

Apple 4K - Dolby Atmos - on Sonos using a projector

• 10 December 2021
  • 2 replies

I have purchased a 4K laser projector (Optoma UHZ65LV) and also an Apple TV 4K.  

In common with other people on these forums I want to create a Dolby Atmos surround sound set up using Sonos kit.  I currently have purchased the SUB and two One SLs…..    so I will need to fill this in with an Arc and another two One SLs I assume.

On to the question

Now from reading the forums I understand that when using Apple Airplay 2 to connect to Sonos you lose all the Dolby Atmos information.  You just get stereo.  

So can someone explain - given that constraint - how do I achieve my desired setup ?   Bearing in mind that in a large room you have the projector at one end.  Connected to the Apple TV via HDMI.   And then at the other end of the room you have the screen and this is (obviously) where the Arc will be installed.  So a wired solution would be quite a stretch …

I am technically competent, but I am a complete newbie to cinema / surround sound / etc.  So go easy on me :-).  Appreciate any help

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 10 December 2021, 19:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

If you already have a Sub and two One SLs, you only need to add an Arc. You don’t need another pair of One SLs. You can only add two surround speakers to a Sonos home theater product.

If you want Dolby Atmos audio, you will need to run a long HDMI cable from the projector/Apple TV 4K to the Arc.

The Apple TV 4K also requires an HDMI eARC connection to play Dolby Atmos audio. Since your projector isn’t equipped with HDMI ARC or eARC, you would need to get an HDFury Arcana eARC adapter. This will allow the Apple TV to bypass the projector’s limitations and send audio directly to the Arc so you can get Dolby Atmos and multichannel PCM audio. 

NOTE: Because the projector isn’t equipped with HDMI ARC, you will need to set the Arc up on a TV with HDMI ARC before you can use it with the Arcana.

Hi GuitarSuperstar

many thanks.  Answer clear and just what i need. Richard