Answered

Any update on the return of Audible?

Userlevel 3
Badge
Looking for news on Audible integration
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 20 March 2018, 20:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

46 replies

We've always been cautious about announcing dates, even tentative ones because there are simply so many variables and moving parts when it comes to development.

This is possibly the whole issue with Sonos as a company. Development is a project-managed process, like any other business. If your development process is so broken that you can’t predict roughly when a product will be available then you are in trouble. Either the original project scope was wrong, or you hired incompetent coders, or incompetent project managers or you stripped resource out of the Audible integration project or the entire Sonos business performed a volte face and adopted AirPlay so you abandoned Audible streaming, I have no idea what the issue was (and you may not either if you don’t do root cause analysis on failed development projects) but your development process has failed.

I’m sure you’re a lovely person, and you want to defend Sonos. And for 2 years people have been waiting for Sonos to integrate 1 streaming service into an app that Sonos alone controls. And you want to fall back on “Development is a complex process”? Sorry. I’m not buying that.

What Ryan can't say, as a Sonos employee, is that the delay was almost certainty due to Amazon. They bought Audible and rebuilt it from the ground up. They very likely put a lot of roadblocks in place along the way, for their own marketing reasons. You are speculating that it's entirely Sonos' fault. We know for a fact that it took Amazon over a year to release their Alexa Speaker API. Their API for Audible could easily have taken even more time.
Userlevel 2
Badge
We've always been cautious about announcing dates, even tentative ones because there are simply so many variables and moving parts when it comes to development.

This is possibly the whole issue with Sonos as a company. Development is a project-managed process, like any other business. If your development process is so broken that you can’t predict roughly when a product will be available then you are in trouble. Either the original project scope was wrong, or you hired incompetent coders, or incompetent project managers or you stripped resource out of the Audible integration project or the entire Sonos business performed a volte face and adopted AirPlay so you abandoned Audible streaming, I have no idea what the issue was (and you may not either if you don’t do root cause analysis on failed development projects) but your development process has failed.

I’m sure you’re a lovely person, and you want to defend Sonos. And for 2 years people have been waiting for Sonos to integrate 1 streaming service into an app that Sonos alone controls. And you want to fall back on “Development is a complex process”? Sorry. I’m not buying that.

What Ryan can't say, as a Sonos employee, is that the delay was almost certainty due to Amazon. They bought Audible and rebuilt it from the ground up. They very likely put a lot of roadblocks in place along the way, for their own marketing reasons. You are speculating that it's entirely Sonos' fault. We know for a fact that it took Amazon over a year to release their Alexa Speaker API. Their API for Audible could easily have taken even more time.

Nope. You can make any excuse you like, but their project management FAILED. I think its pretty clear that someone inside Sonos has decided to change the company's long-standing position on AirPlay and when you have AirPlay 2, you don't need a Sonos app. So you can stop wasting resources on programming something you don't need.

Any way you slice it, Sonos has catastrophically failed Audible users and people who TWO YEARS AGO were annoyed, are now just moving on to other equipment. Sonos was great, but now its just dying on it's feet and it will be gone very, very, soon. And then anyone who is reliant on Sonos as an app to give them music will be in a bad place... That's why I've sold all mine while they still have some resale value and moved into Naim mu-so. It just plays audible all over the house. No separate app required.
Again, iOS is a tiny 13% of the OS market. Airplay isn't a market maker or killer. The original Airplay was mostly known for its unreliability. You need to get your facts straight.
Userlevel 2
Badge
@Wja96: not everyone in the world has an iPhone!
Userlevel 2
Badge
Again, iOS is a tiny 13% of the OS market. Airplay isn't a market maker or killer. The original Airplay was mostly known for its unreliability. You need to get your facts straight.

What percentage of Sonos owners have an iOS device? I think you’ll find that iOS is massive in Sonos terms. But if you know different then I’m very willing to be put straight. I rather suspect you either don’t know or it’s something overwhelming. Like maybe 67%?
Userlevel 2
Badge
@Wja96: not everyone in the world has an iPhone!

No, but more than half of all Sonos owners do and it is the No. 1 selling Smartphone which I think Chicks isn’t necessarily including in his 13% figure.

Even if they can stop developing 1 app that’s a huge saving in effort. I think you’ll find that Sonos have basically deprioritised Audible AGAIN. But you really only have yourself to blame. Sonos want you to play music, not listen to books.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Wja96: are you serious? Which statistics are you talking about? Can you report your source or are you making it all up? Anyway, even if 99% of SONOS customers had an iPhone (which is not) would it be fair to leave behind that 1% of Android and Windows users?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hey! Any news about Audible? Is there a date?
They don't usually give dates, with some minor exceptions, but I'd be willing to bet now that the voice control thing is out, Audible can't be far behind, since it's part of Amazon as well.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Ok, that's true for bluetooth but hardware updates are not necessary for Google Cast and AirPlay. Actually SONOS already uses Google Cast with the Play Music app.
Adding AirPlay could also be a strategy now that Apple introduced HomePod, that is a real competitor for SONOS. All iPhone, iPad or Mac users may prefer buying HomePods now just because they support AirPlay while SONOS speakers don't.

This is from about a month ago and it helped me understand what some of the issues are:

As Kumar said, Sonos (sic) is purposefully not designed that way. It has a pull architecture, which avoids the triple bandwidth usage of push (source->router->Sonos device vs source->router->phone->router->audio device). It takes the variable reliability, CPU usage, CPU power, multi-tasking, etc., attributes of the phone out of the equation. It also allows you to keep on playing music if the phone is turned off, loses battery, or leaves the home.

As a note, Apple Airplay used push technology and has been criticized for reliability issues for years. Others like Google and Spotify followed the Sonos pull model. Guess who just scrapped Airplay in favor of a pull based Airplay 2?
Userlevel 2
Badge
“Audible will be retrurning very soon”
This was written 3 months ago. Which begs the obvious follow up: Define “very soon”.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would define as the next 30 days from all indications
The whole problem with saying any specific date with software releases is that you just don't know what kind of bugs might pop up to delay the release. You have to complete the whole testing/feedback loop process, and make sure that you've figured out as many as the potential bugs as possible.

Unless you'd rather have them release software that's known to be buggy, and not work.

My imagination says that Sonos wants this monkey off their backs as quickly as feasible. But maybe they enjoy getting called to task on it almost daily, so they're withholding the release just to create more angst in these boards, and to lose more customers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, I'm spreading the news. Starting today, Audible is back on Sonos. See more here in our official announcement post.
UPDATE:

I got it working. The problem is I tried to onboard via the Audible app, which gives no indication that setup from the Sonos side needs to be complete prior. Since it throws up a permissions screen, it seems like it wants to work that way, but whatever they’re doing is broken.

I actually tried adding Audible from the Sonos app first. I couldn’t find it on the list of sources or via search. That’s why I tried doing it via Audible. But after writing below I searched again and there it was. On boarding was successful. I’m playing a book through the Sonos app. Using the Connect to a Device button in the Audible app still doesn’t work. The app sees my speakers, I tap one, and now instead of asking for permissions it pauses the book.

———————-

ORIGINAL:

I’m afraid Audible integration is still very broken even after update. I click connect to device in Audible app, it sees my speakers, I tap a speaker, an auth page comes up, I grant access, and I get bounced right back to app and book pauses.

Tried from multiple iOS devices, all updated to current spec. Sonos stuff updated, too, and I see Sonos permissions granted on Amazon side as of today.

Devices:

iPad Pro 12.9 (first gen), iPad Pro 10.5, iPhone X all on current non-beta of iOS.
Sonos Ones (2), Play:5 (3), Connect

Hi everyone, I'm spreading the news. Starting today, Audible is back on Sonos. See more here in our official announcement post.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Maybe try deleting and adding back audible app to make sure pulls in all new changes. I would personally reboot the device too.
Userlevel 2
Badge
WHY ISN’T AUDIBLE ON SONOS AVAILABLE IN ITALY.,.,.,.,., GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! ??? After all the time we spent waiting!! Are you making fun of us?! EXPLAIN NOW!
WHY ISN’T AUDIBLE ON SONOS AVAILABLE IN ITALY.,.,.,.,., GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!! ??? After all the time we spent waiting!! Are you making fun of us?! EXPLAIN NOW!

As has been stated before, each country or region has different licensing laws for digital content. Some are easier to navigate than others in regards to distributing to third party speakers, and Amazon/Sonos has to get it right before they launch, lest they run afoul of the law.
Userlevel 2
Badge
How can the law be related to this fact? Audible has been streaming audiobooks for two years in Italy now and SONOS has been streaming music and whatever for years in my country. I don't think there is a law that says Audible can't stream books from a speaker while it can from phones, tablets, computers and speakers via bluetooth. I'm sorry, but I don't believe that's the reason. Otherwise give me the link of this particular law.
How can the law be related to this fact? Audible has been streaming audiobooks for two years in Italy now and SONOS has been streaming music and whatever for years in my country. I don't think there is a law that says Audible can't stream books from a speaker while it can from phones, tablets, computers and speakers via bluetooth. I'm sorry, but I don't believe that's the reason. Otherwise give me the link of this particular law.

Sigh.

As I stated, there are different laws with regards to distributing to third party speakers. Some licensing deals don't care how many speakers you stream to, some are very specific about streaming to a single device vs. streaming to multiple speakers at once. As can be assumed, navigating the latter is much harder than navigating the former. As to giving you a link? Go do your own research. I've got my Audible and I was just trying to help. I couldn't care less if you don't believe me. :8

PS - Here it is right from Sonos rep Ryan S:

Hi xtravagan and Robert_69, streaming services usually have licensing that has to be worked at a per country level for both content and streaming rights. I'll pass on the request for those countries to the team for you. You can see some details here from Audible regarding their marketplace. As soon as Audible is ready to stream in your county, we'll be working with them to make them available on Sonos.

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/audible-on-sonos-6804502/index1.html#post16218034