Answered

Any update on the return of Audible?

Userlevel 3
Badge
Looking for news on Audible integration
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 20 March 2018, 20:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

46 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
Last update I can find was from May saying it was still on track for this summer, so should be out soon. Since we're mid July now and and update came out a week or so ago I'm wondering if this is still happening?
No one has given a definite date, nor do I expect them to. Some of us, (me, specifically), expect that it may be tied up in the update with the Voice Control for Amazon, which means we have more waiting, I suspect. But who knows, they may not be tied at the hip.
Also interested in update on audible..
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
Also interested in update on audible..

A lot of us are. It has been a long time coming.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
looking for Sonos Staff reply, being August 12th, Sonos should have the firm date for "summer"
Userlevel 2
Badge
I'm waiting too. The best thing would be connecting to SONOS directly via the Audible app (like with Spotify Connect) so that we could start listening exactly from the right point. Actually the best thing would be open SONOS to bluetooth, Google Cast and AirPlay. I can't understand why they don't do it! It would be more simple for us all and for SONOS developers too.
Actually the best thing would be open SONOS to bluetooth, Google Cast and AirPlay. I can't understand why they don't do it! It would be more simple for us all and for SONOS developers too.

This would require a hardware update on Sonos devices as they do not come with built-in Bluetooth chipsets. Software developers can be wizards at times, but obviously cannot turn water into wine.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Ok, that's true for bluetooth but hardware updates are not necessary for Google Cast and AirPlay. Actually SONOS already uses Google Cast with the Play Music app.
Adding AirPlay could also be a strategy now that Apple introduced HomePod, that is a real competitor for SONOS. All iPhone, iPad or Mac users may prefer buying HomePods now just because they support AirPlay while SONOS speakers don't.
AirPlay integration would certainly be a major plus point for Sonos, being heavily discussed on this site for years.
I'd just not expect it to arrive by next month (or even this year, frankly). Let's see how the Alexa integration is going to turn out and then continue from there.
If I'm not mistaken, adding Airplay to Sonos would require an additional bit of hardware, would it not? Or does it piggy back on the regular wifi card?
If I'm not mistaken, adding Airplay to Sonos would require an additional bit of hardware, would it not? Or does it piggy back on the regular wifi card?

No, airplay does not require hardware. Not saying Sonos units are capable, but theoretically it could be done in software.
Interesting, thank you.
Come on Sonos, make a commitment to a date, or actually explain the issue, or tell us to forget it. Stop staying soon, since you haven't delivered for years.
I love the kit, it's fab, but what is the issue?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

No, airplay does not require hardware. Not saying Sonos units are capable, but theoretically it could be done in software.

To do it legally and properly, which Sonos would need to do to avoid lawsuits, Apple requires that you purchase a chip from them which handles the behind-the-scenes protocol negotiation and security, often emulated or circumvented in the open source software that is available. That's their "licensing fee" for implementing their functionality in your device.

Reference: https://developer.apple.com/programs/mfi/

Specifically, the portion that says...
Get the hardware connectors and components that are required to manufacture iPod, iPhone, iPad, and AirPlay audio accessories.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Today’s news: Audible will be playing on SONOS via Audible app in the next months and AirPlay is coming to SONOS Iin 2018. And that closes the topic. Bye! ?
I’ll believe it when I see it. I have had Sonos for years and feel extremely disappointing by them especially as the next Alexa from Amazon can group together, just like Sonos. Play Audible unlike Sonos. Can be bluetoothed too, unlike Sonos and with the new 2nd generation, sounds just as good as Sonos. Oh and just to make it even more appealing, £89 compared to £199. I’ll take two Alexa then. In fact my parents have just purchased 5 Alexa instead of Sonos on my recommendation as I have both systems.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Yes, I’m pretty much done with Sonos now. My patience is exhausted. Everything except for our family TV surround sound setup has been sold and replaced with Naim kit. It sounds better, and it’s AirPlay so it just works with everything. Yes, it’s more expensive, but it does what I need it to do. Sonos has let me down by not delivering Audible in Summer 2017 and Naim are the beneficiaries. AirPlay 2 sometime in 2018 is just more jam tomorrow as far as I’m concerned.

I no longer recommend Sonos. It’s missed the boat as far as I can see. The high quality streaming sound that was the USP is no longer unique. Lots of companies do it better and Sonos’ response is to make a better sounding Amazon Echo. Really? That’s the best Sonos can come up with? It feels very, very, weak. Sonos don’t value Audible listeners as customers enough to get Audible in the App, so I’ve voted with my wallet and I won’t be back in the foreseeable future. I doubt I’m the only one.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Can anyone from the SONOS staff please be more specific about WHEN EXACTLY Audible is coming back to SONOS? Until last summer the official site reported “by next summer”, then, when it had become clear that would not happen, the staff had changed the announcement to “soon”. I think SONOS customers would like to hear something more specific.
Another question: why only AirPlay and not Google Cast? It would be great with both!
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
No mention of google home at all from sonos in the future announcements.
I now get the feeling sonos and google have seriously pissed each other off.
Userlevel 2
Badge
@clauderouges - as soon as you have AirPlay 2 you have Audible because you can play to the speaker(s) directly from the iOS device. So the very latest will be at some point in 2018.

Possibly Sonos did make a mistake when they announced “Summer 2017” for Audible in the app. I do hear what everyone is asaying about how Whispersync works etc. It does seem odd that the Amazon Music service in the Sonos App can remember what I played, the exact point I stopped a track, what my last playlist was etc. All of that seems directly analogous to playing a book in Audible. Ultimately it seems to me that Sonos have blown the lead they had and they are now playing catch-up to the other streaming music player suppliers. Which is a shame. But that’s what happens when innovative companies start believing their own hype.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

You might have missed it, but the Sonos One will be shipping with Amazon Alexa, and will be getting Google Assistant as an option as well, I believe in late 2018 (that may change as development goes on). Google Home support isn't quite the same thing, and we haven't shared all the details there, but we have a great partnership with the Google teams.

Can anyone from the SONOS staff please be more specific about WHEN EXACTLY Audible is coming back to SONOS? Until last summer the official site reported “by next summer”, then, when it had become clear that would not happen, the staff had changed the announcement to “soon”. I think SONOS customers would like to hear something more specific.
Another question: why only AirPlay and not Google Cast? It would be great with both!

Audible is coming back really soon. I assure you, the moment we can get it out the door, we will. We want to get Audible in your hands just as much as you want it. We've always been cautious about announcing dates, even tentative ones because there are simply so many variables and moving parts when it comes to development. We are bringing Audible back as soon as we can. We wish it could have been sooner, and we understand being frustrated that it's taken this long. We're frustrated too. But we're working on it.

The good news, on top of Audible returning as a service on Sonos, we're working with them for direct app control as well. That's still some time out, but more on that later.
Userlevel 2
Badge

The good news, on top of Audible returning as a service on Sonos, we're working with them for direct app control as well. That's still some time out, but more on that later.

If you really are developing a complete new version of the Audible app with Sonos direct control I’d have to say I think that’s a pointless waste of time.

If you are launching AirPlay 2 then you can already control playback directly from the Audible app. Pretty much every other streaming speaker on the market can already be controlled directly from the Audible app because you just select AirPlay connected device as the output. I REALLY hope you don’t have people recoding the Audible app so you can do AirPlay 2 and direct from Sonos because that’s going to be an ongoing maintenance nightmare for someone.

Sonos was really special. High quality Wi-fi streaming sound wth multi-room support. That’s what the USP was. What is it now? Amazon’s own Echo units can stream Audible direct across multiple rooms in more than good enough sound quality. This near two-year hiatus in Audible access has cost you sales and will cost you lost sales in the future because those initial entry customers have adopted other speaker ecosystems rather than Sonos now. You’ve stopped innovating and you’re basically drifting about in the marketplace.

You don't read much. Direct from the CEO:

An agnostic approach to voice.

Just as we take an open approach to music services, we’re taking an open approach to voice assistants. As of today, you can now control the entire Sonos home sound system through Alexa. Or, if you already own Sonos, you can control it with an Echo, Dot or other Alexa-enabled device via free software update. And, in 2018, we will be adding the Google Assistant to Sonos One as well.

http://blog.sonos.com/en/welcome-sonic-internet/

If you really are developing a complete new version of the Audible app with Sonos direct control I’d have to say I think that’s a pointless waste of time.

If you are launching AirPlay 2 then you can already control playback directly from the Audible app. Pretty much every other streaming speaker on the market can already be controlled directly from the Audible app because you just select AirPlay connected device as the output. I REALLY hope you don’t have people recoding the Audible app so you can do AirPlay 2 and direct from Sonos because that’s going to be an ongoing maintenance nightmare for someone.

Lol. That's all good for Apple users, but they're what, 13% of the total market? The Sonos effort will hardly be a waste for the considerably larger Android portion...
Userlevel 2
Badge
We've always been cautious about announcing dates, even tentative ones because there are simply so many variables and moving parts when it comes to development.

This is possibly the whole issue with Sonos as a company. Development is a project-managed process, like any other business. If your development process is so broken that you can’t predict roughly when a product will be available then you are in trouble. Either the original project scope was wrong, or you hired incompetent coders, or incompetent project managers or you stripped resource out of the Audible integration project or the entire Sonos business performed a volte face and adopted AirPlay so you abandoned Audible streaming, I have no idea what the issue was (and you may not either if you don’t do root cause analysis on failed development projects) but your development process has failed.

I’m sure you’re a lovely person, and you want to defend Sonos. And for 2 years people have been waiting for Sonos to integrate 1 streaming service into an app that Sonos alone controls. And you want to fall back on “Development is a complex process”? Sorry. I’m not buying that.