Annoying ads on TuneIn

• 1 December 2017
  • 17 replies

Badge
Anyone else noticed an increase in 'adverts' when listening to live radio stations via TuneIn? The additional ads cut in half way through the presenter talking and traffic and weather reports. Only noticed since linking Alexa - is this something to do it?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

TuneIn doesn't have specific streams depending on what device you're using, it's all just one system. It's possible that they've increased the frequency of ads during the holiday season, but it wouldn't have anything to do with linking to Alexa.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
What station(s) are you experiencing this on through TuneIn? There are some stations that are managed directly by TuneIn (usually music and ads, not usually a DJ, though there may be DJ-like "identification" of the station - "You're listening to [station name] on TuneIn"), and there are regular radio stations that you can hear with a regular radio... DJ's, traffic, weather, a morning or afternoon drive show, etc. Those traditional stations don't usually have ads from TuneIn, except maybe when you first start listening to the station. Once you're in, TuneIn isn't likely throwing their own ads in the stream, since they don't always know when a radio station is playing music versus ads.
Badge
Hi MikeV

One I listen to very regularly is Planet Rock. The ads have even started to interrupt the usual live ads being broadcast as well as the travel and traffic news.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Not sure then... I think the best avenue to follow would be to contact TuneIn and/or the station. Like Bruce said, there aren't different streams for different devices (well, not technically true; there may be streams in different audio or streaming encodings for different devices, but they should all be the same audio).

Maybe the station is doing it, but they have different ads that kick in for online streaming instead of over-the-air, and their system for doing that isn't quite in sync? I would start with the station first... I really don't think TuneIn is putting ads over top of the station's own audio.

Try listening through the station's own website (I assume planetrock.com)... see if it happens there also.
Random thought.... TuneIn does do "bumper" ads, i.e. when you start listening to a stream, you get a TuneIn ad pushed first, then you're tuned in to the stream. I'm wondering if perhaps your speakers are losing connection (perhaps due to an IP address conflict?) and then reconnecting and requesting the same stream again. That would indeed cause you to hear a new "bumper" ad from TuneIn, since it thinks that the speaker is starting a new stream.
Badge
Thank you Airgetlam/Bruce, I guess that would explain it although I have set static IP addresses on all connected equipment and can seamlessly listening all day long (apart from the annoying ads). I'll check my router log and see if there any mention of dropped connection.
Userlevel 3
I have noticed it on Planet Rock lately as well. It's the only station I listen to regularly so I can't compare it to others. The ads will start then after a couple of seconds of new ad will interrupt the original one. These new ads sometimes will continue for slightly too long and 'overwrite' the music when it returns. I had put it down to TuneIn running local ads based on your location as a lot (but not all) seem to be for local shopping centres. It is annoying though. And I agree this only started happening at the same time as the Alexa integration.
Ah, if you've got reserved IP addresses already, then I would suspect an issue with wifi interference, as an alternate potential that would cause disconnect/reconnects.

Assuming that I'm correct on the interference problem forcing a new connection from the speaker to TuneIn, causing TuneIn to serve you a new ad.

🙂
Userlevel 1
I'm also getting extremely annoying ads when listening to live radio through TuneIn. When listening on their site there are no ads. They get placed randomly, maybe every 15 minutes or so. The channel is Ibiza Global Radio and their stream is not managed by TuneIn. I'm not sure why adding a custom stream adds it as a TuneIn source. Shouldn't the system be able to stream it directly from the server just like it would stream from your network music library? This is the stream URL: http://ibizaglobalradio.streaming-pro.com:8024
Is this why every time I turn on my Sonos tuned into Kiss UK I hear the same advert for Bannings Warehouse?
I'm also getting extremely annoying ads when listening to live radio through TuneIn. When listening on their site there are no ads. They get placed randomly, maybe every 15 minutes or so. The channel is Ibiza Global Radio and their stream is not managed by TuneIn. I'm not sure why adding a custom stream adds it as a TuneIn source. Shouldn't the system be able to stream it directly from the server just like it would stream from your network music library? This is the stream URL: http://ibizaglobalradio.streaming-pro.com:8024 everything comes from the service provider, with me the problem is with 3Three, on both IGR app and TuneIn.
It’s unfortunate that all these companies have to have employees and servers to support all of the streaming we want for free.
Hello from Spain. We have been listening ABC Lounge regularly for a year. We have started to hear adverts this week. They are just at the beggining, but we don't like to hear any kind of ads. Is any way Sonos can offer all that stations with another provider who does not broadcast ads?
TuneIn is a directory service. The ads are from the station, not TuneIn.
Badge
If i add a private URL to TuneIn (i mean a non-listed URL in the tuneIn app so far), can i also expect to have ads interrupting the music streaming every 15 or so minutes? Thanks
If i add a private URL to TuneIn (i mean a non-listed URL in the tuneIn app so far), can i also expect to have ads interrupting the music streaming every 15 or so minutes? Thanks

TuneIn is a directory service. The ads are from the station, not TuneIn.
I believe the initial minute of ads are indeed from TuneIn (they have to pay their own bills some how), but as ratty points out, anything after that is from the station itself.

I use TuneIn Premium to listen to baseball games all the time, all of the advertisements are from KNBR.