Amazon Prime Music in Canada

• 10 December 2017
  • 15 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi, I've got a Amazon Prime Music account and cannot find it under "Add Music Services" in Sonos - I've been trying to follow the threads of information in the different conversations and cannot figure out if Amazon Music is in Canada or not. Thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 1
Sonos say it will be available in Canada early in 2018, hopefully this means before June 30th 2018......
Badge
Very strange I have a home and cottage both in Canada and both have Sonos. An update to Sonos, don't know which one, added Amazon Music as an option to my Sonos at home but Amazon Music is not an option on the Sonos as the cottage. Seeing this message, the only thing I can think of is for some reason Sonos at home sees me in another location other than Canada which I don't mind since I can use Amazon music with my prime subscription. Unfortunately, I'm unable to enable the Alexa services for Sonos in either location. Hopefully this all gets sorted out at some point, especially since I see Sonos One available for sale in Canada but I'm assuming the Sonos/Alexa connectivity isn't available for it yet either.
Can somebody ask the "Canadian" execs of Sonos to please not leave Canada as the last country to get simple things like access to our Amazon Prime music, or last ones to get Alexa access...if it is any issue with the CRTC please tell them to "you know what"...sincerely Waterloo Dude...
Is this fixed?
No not from what I can see, at least in Waterloo Canada.
Assuming that the Sonos One speaker can stream Amazon Prime Music in Canada since it's got Alexa built-in?
You can access Amazon Prime Music through Alexa via Sonos One directly but not through the Sonos app. You can also play it through the Prime Music app and then Airplay it to the Sonos One. Hope this helps until Sonos adds it to the stream list.
Prime Unlimited is available in Canada. please update the sonos app
My app is up to date and still not listed in the music services.
Right .. that's what I meant.. SONOS Staff.. please update the app for us so Prime Music Unlimited is available in music services .....
Here's an October riddle: How many customers have to ask about a Sonos update to include Amazon Music on the Canadian controller ("coming in 2018") before a tree falls in the forest?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I posted this in another thread, but could elighten me? I don’t get what adding it as a service to the sonos app brings to the user(??)

Can anyone please clarify why being able to add amazon music to the sonos app is a big deal? (Serious question). I have amazon unlimited in Canada and I make my playlists etc in amazon music and play them or ask for songs on my sonos ones with voice. What advantages are there to adding amazon music to the sonos app? Thanks,
Userlevel 1
@Caseyfinn Sure, let me explain:
Very common: If you have more than one person in the house and want to send different music to different rooms, using the Sonos app you can do that. Using Amazon Music app or Alexa - you can't, starting a song on one room will stop all other music in all other rooms.

Common: If you have more than one music services and wish to have a playlist with songs from multiple sources.

Common: If you want to group a few speakers together, change the group or change the volume of each speaker - I know wiht AirPlay2 on iOS you can do most of it but there are a few issues:
1. The grouped speakers are not in perfect sync of music, while when grouping through the sonos app the music is perfectly synced - this makes the group option of AirPlay kinda useless and annoying.
2. Not all sonos devices support AirPlay2

Less common: If you use an automation smart home to control Sonos, having the music source in a Sonos playlist is crutial. I know this is much less common, but if I use my Vera smart home hub or IFTTT to create some automation, I can't use amazon music since it is not recognized by Sonos as a music source.

Lastly, I have to say this is kind of a silly question since you could claim the same on any other sources (Spotify, google play all have integration with Sonos directly) but still Sonos bothered creating and maintaining their own app - I guess there is a reason for it. It is either needed or not needed for all sources equally.
So, unless Sonos decide to cancel their app and send us to use the source's app directly (which will never happen) I don't see why there should even be a discussion weather Amazon Music should be included in Canada or not - especially when this source is already built and working outside of Canada.

There might be other reasons, these are just some of my own reasons... but honestly if Amazon Music would solve the alexa-multi-room issue and allow us to play different songs in different rooms I would care less about adding them to the Sonos app. I'd say that is my #1 concern by far.
Just do what I did and ditch Amazon Music Unlimited for Spotify. When I asked Amazon when we could expect them as a installable Sonos music service they sent me the American instructions on how to install. They really do not have a clue. Spotify is worth the extra couple of bucks a month because I can download songs/playlists to take them with me on the go. Just save yourselves the aggravation and get rid of Amazon, at least until they can get their act together.
Badge
the exact conclusion i arrived at

Just do what I did and ditch Amazon Music Unlimited for Spotify. When I asked Amazon when we could expect them as a installable Sonos music service they sent me the American instructions on how to install. They really do not have a clue. Spotify is worth the extra couple of bucks a month because I can download songs/playlists to take them with me on the go. Just save yourselves the aggravation and get rid of Amazon, at least until they can get their act together.