Amazon Music HD

• 17 September 2019
  • 53 replies

https://www.amazon.co.uk/music/unlimited/hd

Streams on Sonos at compressed lossless bitrates, 16/44 FLAC presumably.

Amazon Music Unlimited HD FAQ

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

53 replies

Sadly, customers like me, who pay the Amazon Music Unlimited subscription a full year in advance, are apparently showing as not eligible for the upgrade to the new HD Service.

However, anyone who has chosen to pay a monthly subscription instead, are eligible to a free 90 days upgrade of HD music.

Hope Amazon will go onto look after their yearly subscribers at some point.
16/44 FLAC presumably.
Yes.
https://www.pocket-lint.com/apps/news/amazon/149403-amazon-music-has-added-an-hd-tier-with-lossless-audio
Music started via Alexa is still 256k, and limited to one room at a time.

Music started via controller is FLAC, multiple simultaneous rooms.
How does that compare with the best Tidal can do on Sonos?
How does that compare with the best Tidal can do on Sonos?
Same. Tidal streams at up to 16/44 on Sonos. https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3096

(Although Sonos can evidently play MQA unofficially, it truncates it to 16-bit, ending up slightly worse than Red Book.)
I have until February before the yearly AM subscription renewal. I’d happily give Amazon the extra fiver a month (or whatever) for the next six months, in advance... maybe if I speak to Amazon customer support, but before doing that, it would be nice to maybe discover if the ‘Amazon Music Service’ within the Sonos App supports the new HD service at this moment in time?
it would be nice to maybe discover if the ‘Amazon Music Service’ within the Sonos App supports the new HD service at this moment in time?
That's what I've been reporting on, metering bandwidth on a player to confirm format. It's averaging over 1Mbps on 'busy' music, as expected.
It would be nice if music started by Alexa was 16/44 on a Sonos device too (even if it was a single stream). That would give Amazon a slight-edge, I think.

They already have my money anyway at the moment ...and I do like their service on Sonos, coupled with Alexa voice control. It would be nice to have the lossless Flac audio to go with it. I would part with extra cash to have such features.
The
It would be nice if music started by Alexa was 16/44 on a Sonos device too (even if it was a single stream).
Indeed. The playback client for an Alexa-initiated session is different. No queue involved for example.
Badge +1

it would be nice to maybe discover if the ‘Amazon Music Service’ within the Sonos App supports the new HD service at this moment in time?That's what I've been reporting on, metering bandwidth on a player to confirm format. It's averaging over 1Mbps on 'busy' music, as expected.

for the music love but novice audiophile, are you saying if I start music via my Sonos controller/iPhone, it will play at the promised HD or Ultra HD...assuming wifi in my house is working normally?
Badge +1
Sadly, customers like me, who pay the Amazon Music Unlimited subscription a full year in advance, are apparently showing as not eligible for the upgrade to the new HD Service.

However, anyone who has chosen to pay a monthly subscription instead, are eligible to a free 90 days upgrade of HD music.

I have a single annual paid subscription and just upgraded to the new service
for the music love but novice audiophile, are you saying if I start music via my Sonos controller/iPhone, it will play at the promised HD or Ultra HD...assuming wifi in my house is working normally?
Well, you first have to sign up for HD. And in any case Sonos doesn't support 'hi-res'.
Badge +1

for the music love but novice audiophile, are you saying if I start music via my Sonos controller/iPhone, it will play at the promised HD or Ultra HD...assuming wifi in my house is working normally?Well, you first have to sign up for HD. And in any case Sonos doesn't support 'hi-res'.

already signed up and listened in car/earbuds. Love it.. So I won't see any difference on Sonos?
So I won't see any difference on Sonos?
Well... it should stream at FLAC. My system is.

(There are those who maintain that lossless sounds no better than lossy, but we'll not revisit that debate here.)
Badge +1

So I won't see any difference on Sonos?Well... it should stream at FLAC. My system is.

(There are those who maintain that lossless sounds no better than lossy, but we'll not revisit that debate here.)

ok, thanks. Assuming FLAC is more like HD than their highest level Ultra HD. But still better than current SD.

Strange. My yearly subscription is up in December and i was able to add HD. 30 days free, $50 to the family subscription afterwards. Maybe US is different?
Sadly, customers like me, who pay the Amazon Music Unlimited subscription a full year in advance, are apparently showing as not eligible for the upgrade to the new HD Service. However, anyone who has chosen to pay a monthly subscription instead, are eligible to a free 90 days upgrade of HD music. Hope Amazon will go onto look after their yearly subscribers at some point.I have a single annual paid subscription and just upgraded to the new service
I don’t know how you managed that KS, unless it’s different for different countries, as my offer page 'terms' say this ... and it won’t let me upgrade my Annually paid 'Music Unlimited' plan to the new HD service.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Do you feel you could hear the difference for the extra fiver a month?

Strange. My yearly subscription is up in December and i was able to add HD. 30 days free, $50 to the family subscription afterwards. Maybe US is different?

That must be the case Danny. Seems I may have to wait, but I will ring their customer support and see.
Badge +1
Sadly, customers like me, who pay the Amazon Music Unlimited subscription a full year in advance, are apparently showing as not eligible for the upgrade to the new HD Service. However, anyone who has chosen to pay a monthly subscription instead, are eligible to a free 90 days upgrade of HD music. Hope Amazon will go onto look after their yearly subscribers at some point.I have a single annual paid subscription and just upgraded to the new serviceI don’t know how you managed that KS, unless it’s different for different countries, as my offer page 'terms' say this ... and it won’t let me upgrade my Annually paid 'Music Unlimited' plan to the new HD service.

that's the 90 day new customer upgrade I think. I went to my Amazon Music Unlimited page and their was an upgrade/offer button. It didn't work for a few hours this morning but finally did. I'm guessing its a difference between UK and US...at least at the moment.
Badge +1

Sadly, customers like me, who pay the Amazon Music Unlimited subscription a full year in advance, are apparently showing as not eligible for the upgrade to the new HD Service. However, anyone who has chosen to pay a monthly subscription instead, are eligible to a free 90 days upgrade of HD music. Hope Amazon will go onto look after their yearly subscribers at some point.I have a single annual paid subscription and just upgraded to the new serviceI don’t know how you managed that KS, unless it’s different for different countries, as my offer page 'terms' say this ... and it won’t let me upgrade my Annually paid 'Music Unlimited' plan to the new HD service.

that's the 90 day new customer upgrade I think. I went to my Amazon Music Unlimited page and their was an upgrade/offer button. It didn't work for a few hours this morning but finally did. I'm guessing its a difference between UK and US...at least at the moment.

after upgrading, I now see:

I’ve gone through the UK Amazon 'subscription' pages in my account and no signs of any link to upgrade to HD... tried following the links from sites mentioned in this thread and they get me nowhere either, so maybe it’s not available at this moment to annual subscribers in the U.K. I’ll see what their support can tell me and report back.
I'd just comment that I had no paid subscription to Amazon Music before today, but I do have Amazon Prime (paid annually).
I have spotted one track -- on a station and sufficiently unmemorable that I've forgotten what it was -- which was arriving in 256k (AAC or MP3). Perhaps Amazon simply didn't have the original lossless.

Unfortunately the format is not accessible via the Sonos controller as it is with Deezer.
Holding and Amazon Customer Services +44 (0)800 279 7234) are very kindly checking things out for me at this very minute.