Amazon Music Australia

• 2 February 2018
  • 43 replies

Show first post

43 replies

I think the idea might be to force people to buy some Echo variant. If you provide app based support too soon, it may eliminate the need to get echo just for Amazon Music.
Arm twisting by Amazon :? Not happy :(
Might have to cancel the Amazon Music subscription or return the Sonos.... wondering which one.
It might be a play to get people to buy an Echo or two; but people like me who have and love Sonos (and now also have a few echo dots about for voice coverage with my older Sonos) are still left out in the dark with Amazon Music. I've gone to Spotify as Alexa can control that ok. All this will really do is move the market in Australia to Spotify. If they don't fix it soon and word gets out, then Sonos with Alexa will be seen as a massive failure and people like me (who are stuck with it) will just remain with Spotify.
😠 Argh so frustrating! Why isn’t amazon music supported in the Sonos app in Australia? If we can use it via Alexa, or using AirPlay then why is there no direct support? It doesn’t make sense
:@ Argh so frustrating! Why isn’t amazon music supported in the Sonos app in Australia? If we can use it via Alexa, or using AirPlay then why is there no direct support? It doesn’t make sense

yes it is, I've pretty much given up and gone with Spotify.
If you set it to the default music source it just works, but it's a total fail for the partnership between Sonos and Amazon and frankly I feel pretty ripped off.
:@ Argh so frustrating! Why isn’t amazon music supported in the Sonos app in Australia? If we can use it via Alexa, or using AirPlay then why is there no direct support? It doesn’t make sense

yes it is, I've pretty much given up and gone with Spotify.
If you set it to the default music source it just works, but it's a total fail for the partnership between Sonos and Amazon and frankly I feel pretty ripped off.

It’s totally slack on both their parts. For two large tech companies this is one #epicFail :S
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Amazon Prime allows you to set up your Amazon Music account anywhere in the world. So while I have Amazon Prime in Australia, my music account is in the UK. I still can't access any Amazon Music option from my Sonos account in Australia.

Amazon emailed me to say I could use SONOS, but the SONOS end of the equation is completely missing. So I suppose I could just go back to Amazon and say I'm cancelling Prime as the service is not available.
Amazon Prime allows you to set up your Amazon Music account anywhere in the world. So while I have Amazon Prime in Australia, my music account is in the UK. I still can't access any Amazon Music option from my Sonos account in Australia.

Amazon emailed me to say I could use SONOS, but the SONOS end of the equation is completely missing. So I suppose I could just go back to Amazon and say I'm cancelling Prime as the service is not available.

Seems like it’s the only language either understands, lost customers.
Amazing how Sonos so easily ignores their Australian customers who want to play Amazon Music on their Sonos speakers. We certainly know our place in the world when this type blatant disregard for Australia customers continues month after month. Yet Apple music plays seamlessly, and I was looking forward to cancelling that service in preference to Amazon Prime. Major fail Sonos.
Hi,
Isn't it time Sonos added Amazon music in Australia. Please soon better now.:@
Userlevel 4
The most vexing aspect is that we can playback from an Australian Amazon Music account on Sonos devices - but only using voice control.

Excluding the app makes it super inconvenient/impossible for discovery, playlists etc and makes a mockery of the integration.
Any resolution on this? I have 2x sonos ones and a beam and not having full amazon music support is very disappointing. this thread started over a year ago and there has been no update from you. Can we at least have an eta or at least an update?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
This is up to Amazon to fix: nothing to do with Sonos. Do you think that it is Sonos lawyers' negotiating the rights for eg Taylor Swift playback in AU? No, of course not, it is Amazon's job to get the legal clearances for playback over each licensed device in every geography. Complain to Amazon. If you can find a support forum for that.

You don't ask Samsung to get HBO on your TV. Similarly you don't ask Sonos to support a particular music service in a particular country. You ask the music service.

(However Alexa support for music services on Sonos is a more complicated problem that may involve Sonos as well as the provider).
I take your point controllav and being the leading app provider of the first fully featetured alexa skill for sonos, you are more qualified and educated than me on the intricacies of this all (out of interest what is the skill name in Alexa, be keen to take a look)

If this is the case then a simiple message on this thread from sonos would focus everyones attention to that instead of adding to a year old thread. To much to ask?

From my understanding and limited knowledge and experience we can play amazon music on the sonos by asking alexa verbally. what we dont have is the application accessible from the sonos app. Not sure if this requires legal authorization as we can already use the device to play the service which seems to negate your first point. But again im no lawyer so could be wrong.

Your however comment doesnt compute either. Im fairly new to the sonos world but woukd have thought as a provider of the first integrated app you would know that this functionality already exisits. Did i miss something?
Amazon Music Unlimited and Prime Music are both available in Australia since October 2018, we are just waiting on Sonos to make them available.

Any updates?
Userlevel 4
This is up to Amazon to fix: nothing to do with Sonos. Do you think that it is Sonos lawyers' negotiating the rights for eg Taylor Swift playback in AU? No, of course not, it is Amazon's job to get the legal clearances for playback over each licensed device in every geography. Complain to Amazon. If you can find a support forum for that.

You don't ask Samsung to get HBO on your TV. Similarly you don't ask Sonos to support a particular music service in a particular country. You ask the music service.

(However Alexa support for music services on Sonos is a more complicated problem that may involve Sonos as well as the provider).

That's a mischaracterisation, and a very questionable analogy, although it certainly is a complicated problem.

Here's the rub: I can instruct Alexa to play from Amazon Music Prime/Unlimited Australia directly, by talking to a Sonos One. I can group and stream onward to Sonos devices that don't have Alexa onboard at all. I can use the Sonos apps to control playback. I can even see catalog metadata - e.g. titles, album covers - in the Sonos app. I just can't use the Sonos App for music discovery, or to initiate playback.

Ergo, Amazon have a broad enough licensing agreement that discovery via the Alexa platform - whether it's on Sonos or Amazon hardware - is covered, and control from third-party devices is covered, and playback and control by non-Alexa-capable devices is covered. Ergo, the music, and it's metadata is already licensed for Australian-located Sonos devices through Amazon. The problem seems confined to music discovery.

That isn't to say that searching and playing from the Amazon Music catalog via the Sonos app isn't blocked by the details of a legal agreement, but the key point is this: it is most definitely Sonos's problem, even if it isn't their fault.

Here's why: the analogy re. Samsung doesn't fly. Firstly, HBO GO isn't available to any Australians. It's not a platform matter, it's a blanket non-availability of service based on geographic region. If I want HBO, I subscribe via Foxtel and it works with any TV, irrespective of manufacturer. Secondly, my Samsung TV does carry the equivalent apps e.g. Stan/Foxtel, and in 2019 they would face a serious product capability gap and loss of market share if major streaming providers discriminated between, say, a Samsung TV and a Sony TV in the same geographic region. Finally, for Sonos, which (aside from those of us with a home NAS music library) is entirely dependent on access to Internet music sources, that's not simply a deficiency affecting market share. Access to Internet music sources is an existential issue for Sonos, without which they don't have a viable product.

To sum up; this is all a long, long way from "nothing to do with Sonos". It's something both companies will have to work to resolve.

The frustration from customers is, I think, because all we get are platitudes & motherhood statements; neither Amazon nor Sonos have given real guidance about their willingness, or ability, to ever make this work.

In practice, I've switched my household to Apple Music which works with absolutely everything we own, and it's Amazon's lost revenue.

Fun fact: Amazon Australia gets a new country manager today, following underperformance by the previous country head. It may be good time to start writing in.
I get this wonderful page when I authorise Amazon Music on my Sonos app then

[h5]Thank you[/h5]
Your Amazon music is ready to listen to on your Sonos device.
You can now return to your Sonos app.

Then a message in Sonos that Amazon Music is only available in US, UK, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France, Spain, Italy and Japan. As the previous writer advised, using my Amazon account and Alexa, I can play Amazon Music on my Sonos One so this is Sonos issue. Sonos - anything other than crickets why the hold-up?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Amazon's Australian lawyers are likely the hold up, you should ask them.

Almost end of 2019. When are you planning to bring support for Prime Music to Sonos?