Answered

Amazon Echo, Spotify Connect, SONOS speakers

• 29 December 2016
  • 4 replies

I've seen some discussion around Echo/SONOS support being schuduled for early 2017 but as the Amazon Echo will play music from Spotify and the Spotify application will now output music to SONOS speakers (no need for the SONOS app), can I command that outcome directly with the Echo?

For example "Alexa play [artist] on Spotify" then "Alexa, play to device 'living room'".
icon

Best answer by MikeV 29 December 2016, 14:03

If you have a Play:5 speaker or Sonos Connect/Connect:Amp, you could hook the Echo up to the Line-in connection on those devices to get the music into Sonos... though voice commands with the slight Sonos delay can be a little interesting. :)

Otherwise, there are plenty of us waiting for official support of Sonos control through Alexa to become available!
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

No. That not how it works now. You can only play Spotify over the Echo speaker.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If you have a Play:5 speaker or Sonos Connect/Connect:Amp, you could hook the Echo up to the Line-in connection on those devices to get the music into Sonos... though voice commands with the slight Sonos delay can be a little interesting. :)

Otherwise, there are plenty of us waiting for official support of Sonos control through Alexa to become available!
With the Spotify app running on my phone it's only a couple of taps to throw the Spotify stream from the Echo to Sonos. Just tap the devices list at the bottom of the app. Though I am looking forward to it doing that automatically soon.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Echo Dot, not Echo (unless I've misunderstood what you're proposing). The Dot has a line-out, the regular Echo does not.

I use a Dot connected to a PLAY:5. Works quite well. I found the information below helpful:
http://www.sam-mallery.com/2016/12/5-tips-for-using-amazon-echo-dot-with-sonos/

However, hopefully we won't need this way of doing it for long 🙂