Amazon Echo Integration

Userlevel 1
Badge
It's May 11..... patiently waiting 🙂

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
If you have Echo and sonos, enrole on the sonos beta testing, then you can give development feedback to speed the release, instead of posting your frustration that it is taking so long.
Userlevel 1
Badge
If this is a Sonos employee this is unbelievably unprofessional. I didn't post frustration, look at my comment. I choose not to be part of Beta.
If this is a Sonos employee this is unbelievably unprofessional. I didn't post frustration, look at my comment. I choose not to be part of Beta.

He's not a Sonos employee, they are identified with a tag under their icon. And I get what he's saying; if you're not complaining, frustrated or just plain whinging, what are you doing? Being passive aggressive? Your comment adds literally nothing of any value.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Excerciaing my right to let Sonos know that their paying customers are waiting for integration details. Get a life.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hello Everyone,

The long awaited Amazon integration on Sonos will be out later this year. We're hard at work with our partner as we speak to bring it out to. I'm afraid until that time we don't have anything else to share.
That said, once we do you can be sure we'll be happy to announce it to the community.
So will future Sonos devices contain a microphone? Or will we simply be able to configure our voice assistant device to play through Sonos devices?
The CEO discusses future voice control possibilities here:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/2/14/14596904/sonos-ceo-alexa-smart-home-outdoor-speakers-patrick-spence-interview

Specifically:

Do you think that every Sonos speaker in the future needs to have good far-field microphones so it can itself act as an assistant?

Absolutely.

When will Sonos devices come with far-field microphones?

Stay tuned.
Thanks jgatie!
@Capegirl13, it's too bad a couple of people harassed you for your post. I thought it was a fun way to request an update and I personally found your post while wondering the same thing. Thank you for posting it. I am very eagerly waiting for this feature!
Badge
I am waiting to purchase two Sonos 5s and two Sonos 3s pending the outcome of Amazon Echo integration. Is there any news here?
There is nothing official, but there are rumors of October 4th being a big day for announcements of the integration. There is also a rumor of a sonos product twith voice recognition built in (for Amazon and potentially others). The device looks similar to a Play:1, but no word on the actual sound quality.

So if you're in waiting mode, it's probably wise to continue doing so...for at least another week.
Badge
Thanks. I am going to go ahead and buy an Echo.
Userlevel 1
If existing Alexas support Spotify (which they do), is there any reason to doubt that, when Sonos is added, it will be supported is basically the same way Spotify is supported? I have 4 zones, the newest of which is probably 5 years old, and I wouldn't dream of replacing my Sonos hardware, for this feature. On the other hand, it will make me very interested in Alexa, assuming that it can control my system without added expense.
If existing Alexas support Spotify (which they do), is there any reason to doubt that, when Sonos is added, it will be supported is basically the same way Spotify is supported? I have 4 zones, the newest of which is probably 5 years old, and I wouldn't dream of replacing my Sonos hardware, for this feature. On the other hand, it will make me very interested in Alexa, assuming that it can control my system without added expense.

Sonos has stated the following:

The Sonos/Alexa integration will work with all Sonos/Alexa devices currently and previously sold. So if you have a Sonos speaker and an Echo device, there is no need to purchase anything else.

The Sonos/Alexa integration will at the very least support the music services currently supported by Echo devices. Echo currently supports Spotify.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
I personally can't see what the big deal is with voice command integration, seems like the emperors new clothes to me..
Userlevel 1
I personally can't see what the big deal is with voice command integration, seems like the emperors new clothes to me..

That has been my attitude toward a lot of what Alexa does, which is why I don't have one. However, if the integration is smooth, and I can get the coverage I want throughout and outside my house, it should be a pretty significant improvement over using an iPad to control my music. Potentially a dramatic improvement.
I'm not sure how much coverage you'd get outside the house, none of the Amazon devices seem to be designed for use outside (or have I missed one....there's a plethora of them now).
Neither did I, till I saw the sales figures of Echo v Play 1 units. I still don't completely get it, but there are many that do, and Sonos expects their tribe to keep expanding.
There is the Alexa Tap, which a battery powered bluetooth speaker (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BH83OOM) you need to press a button to issue commands, just like the FireTV Voice Remotes (which you can press the mic button and issue alexa commands without the "Alexa" code word). The Tap needs to have a wifi signal, and the voice remotes need to reach their firetv unit. (there are both bluetooth and wifi-direct firetv remotes, Amazon is moving back to bluetooth for remote pairing.) Neither is really "outdoor" devices, but the Tap is as close as they get.

Alexa devices aren't terribly magic in and of themselves, but once you start having more than a handful of smart home devices (light bulbs, wall switches, outlets, door locks, cameras, window shades, and so on) an Alexa device is a handy way to control stuff. That's why the new flagship device has a built in Zigbee hub. (Zigbee devices mostly run in the same 2.4 GHz frequency range as 802.11 b/g/n/ac but use totally different encoding and channels so there's even more 2.4 GHz interference to deal with.)
Thanks, had forgotten about the Tap. I've got no real need for such a device, but recognize it does have value for others :)

But I guess my major concern is wifi coverage outside. My own wifi barely reaches to the garage, but I'm sure if I were to set up a repeater, I could get better coverage. But I could see its use if I had a pool, for instance, with a CONNECT hooked up to some outside rated speakers.