Answered

alternatives to music straight from iphone

Hi. I generally play music through my Sonos play 3 speakers directly from my iPhone but see that soon I will no longer be able to do this.
My speakers are not airplay enabled so trying to find the easiest work round.
Looks like my main options are either
a) fire up my laptop and play direct from the music library
b) upgrade to sonos 1 speakers which are airplay enabled.

Anyone think of a a better solution that doesn’t involve me cranking up an old laptop or investing in new speakers?

many thanks for any advice!
icon

Best answer by jgatie 10 July 2019, 17:18

Thanks. Trouble with music streaming services is they don’t always have the less well known music available.
Ill check it out though.. cheers

You misunderstand. Google Play Music allows you to upload your own music (up to 50,000 tracks) to a free account, which can then be played on all your devices and via Sonos. It even attempts to match your music to existing GPM tracks, so the long upload time is shortened. Any tracks it cannot match are uploaded from your personal library. You can even sync the GPM library with iTunes on a PC/Mac.

As to your OP, here are the alternatives, with pros/cons listed:

Buy an Airplay compatible Sonos speaker and group it with your current speakers.

Pros:
You can stream from any Airplay compatible app on your phone, which gives you far greater abilities besides tracks housed on your phone.

Cons:
Cost of at least a Sonos One. The grouping thing is kind of wonky.

Add your PC/Mac based library to Sonos

Pros:
Your entire library is available on all devices. Search is better. Music doesn't stop when the controller device leaves the area. Battery on the device isn't being constantly drained.

Cons:
PC/Mac has to be on. Useless for those who don't own a PC/Mac.

Add your music library to an NAS drive

Pros:
Your entire library is available on all devices. Search is better. Music available 24/7, no need to keep a PC/Mac running. Music doesn't stop when the controller device leaves the area. Battery on the device isn't being constantly drained.

Cons:
Cost. A 4 TB NAS goes for about $160.

Install Plex

Pros:
Free. Your entire library is available on all devices. Music doesn't stop when the controller device leaves the area. Battery on the device isn't being constantly drained.

Cons:
Plex is wonky. Search is worse. Have to keep a PC running.

Upload library to free Google Play Music account.

Pros:
Free. Your entire library plus playlists are available on all devices. Also, each user can add their GPM account and access their library by default. Syncs to iTunes. Library is available to the GPM app on the device itself when not near Sonos. Music doesn't stop when the controller device leaves the area. Battery on the device isn't being constantly drained.

Cons:
Some people refuse to get a Google account. Those with metered internet will possibly have charges for streaming.
View original

12 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15
Google Play music seems a popular solution and has been praised in other threads.
Thanks. Trouble with music streaming services is they don’t always have the less well known music available.
Google play music caters to that; you can upload the less well known music to their server for free.

But it may also be worth exploring the NAS option; it would eliminate the need for internet for music and almost certainly provide a better user experience than music from the phone.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
You can upload your music to a free account, as I understand it. Then share a family account to let others have access too.
Userlevel 6
Badge +15
As I understand it, you can load a free account with your music tracks, and share them in a family account.

You misunderstand. Google Play Music allows you to upload your own music (up to 50,000 tracks) to a free account, which can then be played on all your devices and via Sonos. It even attempts to match your music to existing GPM tracks, so the long upload time is shortened. Any tracks it cannot match are uploaded from your personal library. You can even sync the GPM library with iTunes on a PC/Mac.

As to your OP, here are the alternatives, with pros/cons listed:

Buy an Airplay compatible Sonos speaker and group it with your current speakers.

Pros:
You can stream from any Airplay compatible app on your phone, which gives you far greater abilities besides tracks housed on your phone.

Cons:
Cost of at least a Sonos One. The grouping thing is kind of wonky.

Add your PC/Mac based library to Sonos

Pros:
Your entire library is available on all devices. Search is better. Music doesn't stop when the controller device leaves the area. Battery on the device isn't being constantly drained.

Cons:
PC/Mac has to be on. Useless for those who don't own a PC/Mac.

Add your music library to an NAS drive

Pros:
Your entire library is available on all devices. Search is better. Music available 24/7, no need to keep a PC/Mac running. Music doesn't stop when the controller device leaves the area. Battery on the device isn't being constantly drained.

Cons:

Install Plex

Pros:
Free. Your entire library is available on all devices. Music doesn't stop when the controller device leaves the area. Battery on the device isn't being constantly drained.

Cons:
Plex is wonky. Search is worse. Have to keep a PC running.

Upload library to free Google Play Music account.

Pros:
Free. Your entire library plus playlists are available on all devices. Also, each user can add their GPM account and access their library by default. Syncs to iTunes. Library is available to the GPM app on the device itself when not near Sonos. Music doesn't stop when the controller device leaves the area. Battery on the device isn't being constantly drained.

Cons:
Some people refuse to get a Google account. Those with metered internet will possibly have charges for streaming.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
To replace playing music directly from your iPhone, you can upload 50.000 songs form your iPhone to Google Play Music (Free). You can then listen to your own music by installing Google Play Music as a music service on your Sonos.
Ah that makes sense!
Appreciate the replies folks... looks like short term google is the answer. I’ll get going...

You misunderstand. Add your music library to an NAS drive

Pros:

Cons:

The entire post, selectively quoted, should be a sticky - excellent summary advice!

I would go the NAS route quoted above as a long term robust solution - it is what Sonos is best suited to play music from and the only other con is the limit of 65000 tracks, a non issue for most people. And even a 2TB device is usually adequate, though I notice that many start at 4 TB these days. With the usual price bloat - I got my 2TB one for about USD 100 four years ago.