Allow the use of the Spotify App to Play on Sonos

Userlevel 3
Badge
Just to add another comment about this (I know there are tons!).

Sonos, please hear your users.  Allow somehow that the Spotify App (and ANY app) installed on a Smartphone can play on the Sonos system.

That way, you (Sonos) won't have to constantly work on upgrading your own App to support the various music services.

I am sure Sonos Corp is aware of this -- from a business perspective, what is your strategic, legal, etc. reason for not allowing what so many users want?

Spotify within Sonos is about as terrible as a drinking a warm beer on the beach.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

282 replies

Userlevel 1
No spotify connect?  That's disappointing.  You're saying as an existing Sonos customer  I should plan to replace the system with one from a competitor with better service integration. 

So much for those Christmas gift ideas.  I do at least appreciate the honesty in communicating  Sonos's intentions. It keeps me from spending more money on hardware that isn't aligned with my needs.

thanks.
Userlevel 2
This is a deal breaker for me. I won't be buying any more Sonos components until I can us the Spotify application to control them. I find it *MUCH* better than the Sonos application. If this does not happen soon enough I'll sell my Play 5 I just bought and switch to a more compatible system.
Userlevel 1
Just bought and installed two Play:1s. Easy to install and excellent sound now in the bathtub.

But the absence of Spotify Connect and using Spotify's native app to search, select and play music is a BIG disappointment. It's a dealbreaker from installation additional Sonos units. I'll keep the ones I bought but there will be no more until Sonos listen to customers and develops a Spotify Connect application interface.
Userlevel 1
Hey Sonos, what do you support at the end ?
- No Spotify Connect
- No DTS for the Playbar

What else ?

Do you really think that you will still be the leader in the place with these answers to your community ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Dear ern-fp,

We will forward your feedback regarding Spotify Connect. In the meantime, you could use the line-in feature on one of your CONNECT:AMPs to feed audio to the Sonos system from a device which uses Spotify Connect.

@Jeff S - since you appear to be the only person at Sonos actually taking the time to talk to your customers on this topic - how about a straight answer to a straight question - why are you not supporting Spotify Connect ?  You support native Google Play and QQ which are very similar to what Spotify Connect does.  Spotify have functionality many other hardware manufacturers have adopted so it cant be rocket science ? 

Loads of people are asking and commenting all over the place about this - here, the sonos forums, on your blogs, facebook, on the spotify community... and we are yet to get an answer on WHY this is not happening.  The 'official' response on the other thread you link to says absolutely nothing of any use.

I think you seem to be missing the point that a lot of people would drop Sonos faster then they would drop Spotify.  The Spotify integration within Sonos is barely worthy of the name and the advice to 'use a line in' is also missing the point as you could apply that same logic to all the music services within Sonos.  Sonos is supposed to be a 'wireless system' - if I wanted to work with wires, I could do for a lot less money than using Sonos equipment.

I for one have a very close eye on the ever expanding range of hardware available for Spotify.  It is just a matter of time before enough boxes are ticked for me to jump ship - not from Spotify to another music provider but from Sonos to another speaker provider.  Im sure we'd all like to avoid that - you need to work with Spotify to get all the missing features into the Sonos app OR support Spotify Connect.  The latter I believe is within your control even if the former is not (due to API limitations)
Decided to sell my Sonos system, the software is so appallingly bad they can't justfiy being so closed-off... real shame as the speaker is pretty good, but oh well.
Userlevel 1
A little bird tells me (and by little bird I mean hearsay from Sonos employees, not verified knowledge), that the lack of Spotify Connect is actually a pride issue. The company has thought of itself as a premier music player in the world. Their hardware is great. Their software is sh*t, and they know it, but giving up on that dream is hard, and both options (opening the platform for full integration, or firing the incompetent software product managers) are not feasible for political reasons.
Again, a hearsay, and a sad one, because they really would benefit from focusing on one thing - making the best wireless audio hardware, and leave software to companies like Spotify (which has 1,000 devs, so obviously its product is light years ahead on usability and everything else).
Please improve Spotify Connect to work with sonos system!!!
Userlevel 2
Thanks Spotify and Sonos for working together! Since you are listening now, please listen to your customers and add connect support.
Fair enough. Sonos insists on owning the complete experience and is not willing to work in situations where there is other software or hardware in the loop that they do not control because it "taints the experience". So the plan is for them to continue to make their application "just as good" as the applications of the other services in the world and convince customers that they do not need the missing features. I wish them the best of luck with that.
Userlevel 2
Thanks Spotify and Sonos for working together! Since you are listening now, please listen to your customers and add connect support.
Don't need to see it. Have seen it too many times. Companies who insist on full control of everything in their ecosystem create inferior products. They will always be a step behind the rest of the world and late to get onboard new things that come along. It is all about the attitude.
Userlevel 2
Just to be clear (last comment I promise as I did unfollow), I do own Sonos gear and my daughter-in-law uses it. I used it for some time but Spotify is really important to me and the quality of the Sonos Spotify application did not meet the bar or even get close. I would consider Sonos again if they would support Connect but it seems clear that is never going to happen particularly since now they are putting resources into their proprietary application instead. No disrespect intended and I am certainly not shilling for any product. Just thought that Sonos would be interested in hearing the opinions of customers both happy and not happy. I've said my piece though.
I have a few Sonos devices, and I've been of the view for quite some time that whilst the Sonos hardware is amazing, the software they deliver across the various platforms is somewhere between ok and poor. The desktop application is particularly dreadful. The Android app is ok, but it is where the Spotify app was 2-3 years ago. I pay for Spotify and yet I get few of the amazing features they have added in recent years, particularly their discovery tools. As a result I end up listening to a lot of the same music. Sonos is damaging my enjoyment of music by failing to allow people to cast it from the Spotify app.

I'm left in a position where I am getting only a subset of the benefits Spotify offers me because Sonos is crippling it by forcing me to use the horrid Sonos mobile app. The new app beta version is a step forward but far too little far too late. I do not want to use the Sonos app, I would MUCH prefer to use the Spotify app. How that is achieved by both Sonos and Spotify is up to them but it is hard to argue it would not be in the interests of customers of both companies.

I'm not buying any more Sonos devices because of the limitations forced on Spotify users, and if Spotify continues to improve at the rate it is then the temptation to sell all the Sonos devices and swap them for something that is fully supported by Spotify will become very strong indeed.
Badge
Isn't this conversation missing something? The reason I subscribed to this issue was because I wanted to play Spotify on my Sonos. But I guess there's a nuance here. Here's my scenario: I'm walking home from work listening to music on the Spotify app using my headphones. I enter my house and want to continue listening where I left off. There's no way in the Spotify app to connect to the Sonos speaker. That's actually Spotify's problem, and one that they are clearly not going to fix since they have their "connect." Knowing the Sonos app CAN play Spotify, I hop over there. But I can't continue playing where I left off. I can play the same playlist, but it's going to generate a brand new queue. Songs I've already heard in the last half hour on my walk home plague me until I get frustrated and just turn it all off. Also, since Sonos is playing from my Spotify account, offline files I've added to my playlist that have synced to my phone (from the desktop where I added them) are not available. Again, I feel like all my problems would be solved if Spotify, in their app, supported the android casting, which in turn Sonos is on. Unless, of course, the Sonos app lets me listen to Spotify even when I am not streaming the output to one of their speakers (in fact no where near the network they're on), but my headphones. That, and streaming from the cache on the phone, where possible.
While the effort is appreciated, it does not fix the underlying problem. The SONOS app will always be behind the Spotify app.

Please support Spotify Connect.
Badge
Just bought a ROCKI device to connect to the SONOS line in ... for $49 this adds AirPlay and Spotify Connect to my entire SONOS setup and works great. Sure it's annoying having another wire. But the SONOS auto-detects when the ROCKI receives audio and starts playing automatically, so I don't even have to bother with the SONOS app. Now I can move on with my life 🙂
All this is very disappointing.

I just got my Sonos Play:1 out of the box and it's looks, feels and sounds great. I had been wanting Sonos since I first heard it in a cafe six months ago. However the Spotify support is so clunky that I can't picture myself trying to navigate this horrendous software regularly. It feels like trying to use Spotify on a dumb-phone from 2005.

I will be returning my Sonos equipment and looking for another company.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I am contemplating sonos, but I see no point in having a great sounding speaker, if it's clunky to use. I know people will hate me for saying this, but bose is looking more and more appealing. Sure it may not sound as good, but it'll be better than computer speakers! Plus there are presents and an AUX PORT! You hear this sonos? People do still enjoy plugging stuff in! Spotify Connect would make me snap these speakers up in a heart beat!
Userlevel 2
Dear ern-fp,

We will forward your feedback regarding Spotify Connect. In the meantime, you could use the line-in feature on one of your CONNECT:AMPs to feed audio to the Sonos system from a device which uses Spotify Connect.

Good information but there is not much point in buying a Sonos if it is just a connected speaker. There are better/cheaper options.
The Spotify App is a great tool for searching and playing choons, but it is very frustrating having to use the inferior Sonos app to search fro choons and drag them in from Spotify. This is annoying and disappointing and spoils the Sonos experience.
Badge
I have connected a £30 Chromecast Audio to an old hifi in my living room and now I can play music using the Spotify application. It also sounds much nicer than the single Sonos 3 speaker. I am much happier with the setup and am very pleased I don't have to use the Sonos app any more.

Both my Sonos speakers are on eBay and I will thoroughly urge anyone to think twice before buying Sonos.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
If that works for you then that's good. Here's what I'd do...

Spotify is loss-making and now facing brutal competition from Apple and Google, two massively profitable businesses whose resources in comparison to Spotify's are virtually unlimited. If Spotifiy's finances are unsustainable, which I think they are, then by definition they will not be sustained long term, so something has to give eventually. Therefore, as a Spotify customer, expect change of some sort; perhaps at best acquisition by Microsoft, at worst goodbye Vienna.

Bearing that in mind, and the less-than-ideal Spotify integration with Sonos, then if I was a Sonos-owning Spotify customer I'd be seriously considering my streaming options. If an Apple user, I'd probably switch to Apple Music, and if an Android user I'd definitely switch to Google Play Music. Both streaming services appear to be better integrated with Sonos and, importantly, have the wind in their sails. In Google's case, you also have the option of using the native Android Google Play Music app and casting to Sonos, which works excellently.
Userlevel 2
That sounds right to me. Insistence on the world using your software and only your software can only be arrogance particularly for a hardware company (hello Apple). The Denon people seem to be doing a much better job. I am definitely done buying Sonos.
I guess I'm in the minority (or more likely just one of the people that aren't here because they've nothing to complain about) who find the Sonos software and navigation MORE than adequate. I've been happy since day one. I love the many sources all in one spot on all my devices with centralized control of the system. I've never had a want to go to the Spotify or Deezer apps/interfaces to control, rather I love that I can switch between them all centrally. Yeah, some functionality is lost, but it's nothing I care a whole lot about. Just my 2 cents.
Another voice for support. I've made a significant investment in Sonos hardware. I ask -- I plead -- for Sonos to ope nit up to Spotify. I can spend hours in front of the Spotfiy app browsing songs, suggestions, playlists ... readying lyrics ... etc. I don't want to step out of that experience. Please allow the Spotify app on mobile and windows to either a.) cast to Sonos, or b.) send commands to Sonos to play, pause, etc tracks sourced from Spotify.

Please.

Please.

Please.
Please mr McFarlane allow us to stream from the spotify app directly.. The reason I bought your sonos hardware 5 years ago is to stream spotify. What exactly is the problem if the spotify app takes over the Sonos? I wonder if you have ever noticed the difference in discovering music through the spotify app vs going through the sonos app? Please let me know what is so great about the sonos experience. Swallow your pride and let the consumers decide!