Allow the use of the Spotify App to Play on Sonos

Userlevel 3
Badge
Just to add another comment about this (I know there are tons!).

Sonos, please hear your users.  Allow somehow that the Spotify App (and ANY app) installed on a Smartphone can play on the Sonos system.

That way, you (Sonos) won't have to constantly work on upgrading your own App to support the various music services.

I am sure Sonos Corp is aware of this -- from a business perspective, what is your strategic, legal, etc. reason for not allowing what so many users want?

Spotify within Sonos is about as terrible as a drinking a warm beer on the beach.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

282 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi everyone,

I wanted to let you know that with the most recent Sonos update you can now use the Spotify app to control your Sonos system. Please see this article for more information.
Thanks ewolf, for your answer. I'm looking forward to this, hope I'll find out when it happens
Sonos has announced support for Spotify Connect, in Public Beta. Meanwhile I'm using Chromecast to allow streaming to my Sonos components played thru either the Spotify App (need to manually select line In on Sonos each time) or Sonos App. Working well.

There is no public beta for Spotify at this time. Spotify and Sonos did announce that it will be in public beta in October, so if things go right, it will not be too much longer.
Sonos has announced support for Spotify Connect, in Public Beta. Meanwhile I'm using Chromecast to allow streaming to my Sonos components played thru either the Spotify App (need to manually select line In on Sonos each time) or Sonos App. Working well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Hasn't this been solved yet??

according to the Spotify annoucement it will be available in public beta (open to anyone to apply) "in october" so shouldnt be much longer
https://news.spotify.com/us/2016/08/30/spotify-partners-with-sonos-to-unveil-new-era-of-connected-home-listening/
Just to add another comment about this (I know there are tons!).

Sonos, please hear your users.  Allow somehow that the Spotify App (and ANY app) installed on a Smartphone can play on the Sonos system.

That way, you (Sonos) won't have to constantly work on upgrading your own App to support the various music services.

I am sure Sonos Corp is aware of this -- from a business perspective, what is your strategic, legal, etc. reason for not allowing what so many users want?

Spotify within Sonos is about as terrible as a drinking a warm beer on the beach.

Hasn't this been solved yet??
Bought a Chromecast Audio to support streaming from Spotify App on iOS/Mac to Sonos components/speakers.
Plugged the 3.5mm out into the Connect:AMP with a mini to stereo RCA cable (no problem there).
The networking: not going well.
Chromecast Audio is creating a new WiFi network, not connecting to the existing Wifi network created by my Time Capsule/Airport Extreme.
Google's support page says "Not guaranteed to work with factory settings of Airport Extreme." and suggests 2 contradictory options.
I'm pretty sure they meant to say: turn Connection Sharing off (Bridge Mode) to eliminate double NAT errors, so I did this.
Some people indicated the network name had to be "smb" compliant, i.e. no spaces - took them out, doesn't work.
My hunch is if I could determine for sure whether the Chromecast is operating on 2.5ghz or 5ghz and make sure it's on the same channel as the Router, this might work. But not sure of the most appropriate way to change this without screwing up other things.
Even when switching to the Chromecast Audio Wifi network on my phone, Spotify still doesn't show it as a device.
Suggestions?

Fact: The reason you cannot stream from Spotify's app is because Spotify monetized WiFi based streaming with Spotify Connect, and Sonos keeps itself service neutral when it comes to licensing deals. Which is also why they only do Airplay through a Line-in source. Google has no such licensing, and happily participated in the effort to stream via GPM.

Your argument makes sense.But are you sure that Spotify Connect requires a licencing fee from the speaker company, I've read elsewhere that it doesn't. But haven't seen a reliable source one way or the other.

I don't blame sonos for not doing this, why support one streaming company in an enhanced way over others, especially when they have what I guess for some amounts to a competing product.

With the release of Chrome Cast audio I wonder if Sonos now regrets allowing Google Cast in to the system.
Yeah, Sonos really discourages streaming directly from an app. That's why they teamed up with Google (makers of the Chromecast) to allow one to stream directly from the Google Play Music app.

Fact: The reason you cannot stream from Spotify's app is because Spotify monetized WiFi based streaming with Spotify Connect, and Sonos keeps itself service neutral when it comes to licensing deals. Which is also why they only do Airplay through a Line-in source. Google has no such licensing, and happily participated in the effort to stream via GPM.
Update, in case anyone else is doing this: The solution we're talking about is to use *Chromecast Audio*, which has stereo-to-RCA outs that can go into a Sonos Connect:AMP. This is a separate device from *Chromecast*, which only has HDMI outs and is designed only to connect to a TV.

The friendly salespeople at my local electronics store swore there was only one Chromecast, and then sold me a big HDMI-to-RCA converter box I will be returning. A visit to google.com/chromecast confirmed the difference.

You can see why Sonos may not want to encourage native interconnectivity with competing streaming+multicast solutions like Chromecast Audio/Google Cast and Spotify Connect/AllPlay. Sonos has doubled down on being either 1) a great ground-up solution, or 2) good at integrating with traditional audio components. But they will have to adjust to not always owning the interaction with the user if they want to keep their market position, as we want to use the apps we want to use. Mr. MacFarlane has indicated they see voice interaction such as the Amazon Echo as the future and are "taking the long view". So expect a voice product at some point...or a sale to Amazon. And even then I'll still want to play from my Spotify app, as long as it's the better experience.

thanks to all for the help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes chromecast to your connect amp = native apps to your Sonos network
Thanks, Paul. Sounds like if my goal is to use the Spotify app on iPhone/Mac to play through Sonos Connect:AMP, then Google Chromecast Audio line into the Connect:AMP is the way to go.

cheers.
Userlevel 3
I just bought a Gramofon. Cute little device. It doesn't broadcast a Fon network any longer, I believe that was just the early kickstarter models.

Google Chromecast Audio will stream from the internet, with your device simply acting like a remote control.

Gramofon only has analog audio out whereas Chromecast can provide digital out if you want to feed a DAC.
Clarifying/Echoing some previous comments/Asking some questions:

The issue:
- Sonos is a (if not "the") leader in multi-room audio with good components, good audio, and a good overall experience. The Sonos app is not terrible. It's useful when the goal is to operate across music services or sources. But it's not a leader in terms of User Experience.
- Spotify is a leader in User Experience, many of find it a one-stop-shop for streaming, don't really use other services, and want to use features that Sonos could never hope to fully implement in its app. Same for many other services from Apple Music to Deezer (I assume). We'd like to use the app we love to play through our Sonos setup, which we also (want to) love.

So what are our options for using the Spotify app to stream over Sonos, while Sonos does not natively support Spotify Connect?

Recapping/Asking:
- Gramofon: Device which streams over a custom Wifi implementation, from Spotify (using Connect) as well as other services. Line out into a Sonos Connect:Amp, or traditional Amp out to a Sonos Connect to speakers. It sounds like you can control this with a Spotify app, not just the gramofon app. Downside: Gramofon apparently implements a publicly visible "Fon" network node where your bandwidth can be used by others without your knowledge. Does anyone know if this is true, or can be disabled?

- AirPlay: Stream from Spotify app on iOS device through, e.g. AirportExpress, line out, etc. That should work but that will cause streaming over the iOS device, not directly from the network, and the device needs to be in range, yes? So: not desirable.

- Google Chromecast dongle. Apparently, Spotify app can play out to a Chromecast device, which can go line in into a Sonos Connect Amp, and from there => multiroom. Streamed from the Internet, not from the device, presumably. (Yes?) Will this work from an Spotify on an iOS device? If so, this would be the ideal user for the Apple/Spotify/Sonos user.

I get fuzzy trying to figure out what is possible from an Amazon Echo or other devices which implement Spotify Connect.

Any clarifications on the above would be welcomed.
Userlevel 3
[quote=Chris]Sonos will not Add Spotify Connect - that is a given. Spotify will not add Sonos direct casting - that is assumed. The only thing that could happen is the speculation that Sonos will add Google Chromecast Audio. If Sonos were to add Google Chromecast audio then Spotify would then direct connect to Sonos. That is the best bet. You can add this currently if you have a Sonos with input by simply buying a cheap Google Chromecast Audio Dongle.

I can see your reasoning here, which makes sense. I was completely shocked to find that Sonos doesn't submit data about songs played back to the music streaming service provider, so anything played on Sonos won't count towards building recommendations. Support for Chromecast Audio would be a solution for this, allowing song data to be submitted from the phone app. I tried this with Google Play Music and it works. I need it to work for Spotify.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Volume normalization. Not just for Sonos would be nice.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
At least give us Spotify volume gain normalization!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos will not Add Spotify Connect - that is a given

Spotify will not add Sonos direct casting - that is assumed

The only thing that could happen is the speculation that Sonos will add Google Chromecast Audio. If Sonos were to add Google Chromecast audio then Spotify would then direct connect to Sonos. That is the best bet. You can add this currently if you have a Sonos with input by simply buying a cheap Google Chromecast Audio Dongle.

Note: Sonos has opened themselves up to Spotify. They have freely available casting to Sonos that Google Music impletmented. Spotify chose not to in favor of their own Spotify Connect. So saying Sonos needs to open themselves up to Spotify is incorrect.
Hey there,

Thank you for the feedback. Spotify has a way of doing this called Spotify Connect which we aren't currently planning on supporting. We'll let everyone know if this changes on our discussion thread.
User are asking for this integration. You should explore this request
Another voice for support. I've made a significant investment in Sonos hardware. I ask -- I plead -- for Sonos to ope nit up to Spotify. I can spend hours in front of the Spotfiy app browsing songs, suggestions, playlists ... readying lyrics ... etc. I don't want to step out of that experience. Please allow the Spotify app on mobile and windows to either a.) cast to Sonos, or b.) send commands to Sonos to play, pause, etc tracks sourced from Spotify.

Please.

Please.

Please.
Badge
I would just like to add my small voice to this request, it would be so much better if I could cast directly from the Spotify app to my Sonos speakers. I have 6 Sonos speakers and love the sound and multi room flexibility but there is no denning that the Sonos app is no where near as easy to use as the Spotify one. Now that Chrome cast support is in both Sonos and Spotify it should not be a big step to take.
I guess I'm in the minority (or more likely just one of the people that aren't here because they've nothing to complain about) who find the Sonos software and navigation MORE than adequate. I've been happy since day one. I love the many sources all in one spot on all my devices with centralized control of the system. I've never had a want to go to the Spotify or Deezer apps/interfaces to control, rather I love that I can switch between them all centrally. Yeah, some functionality is lost, but it's nothing I care a whole lot about. Just my 2 cents.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
@camillo777 Same with Apple Music! Once you add a playlist's songs to the queue, the name of the playlist disappears from the interface and you have to hunt to get it back. This is especially annoying with a service like Apple Music that is all about playlist discovery.

Apple Music is in Beta. Submit feedback with your comments and suggestions rather than complaining here.
Userlevel 2
Badge
@camillo777 Same with Apple Music! Once you add a playlist's songs to the queue, the name of the playlist disappears from the interface and you have to hunt to get it back. This is especially annoying with a service like Apple Music that is all about playlist discovery.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
What the heck?
Open Sonos app.
Browse Spotify service moods and browse and select playlist.
Replace Sonos queue entirely and start playing.
Guys, I like this playlist I must save it for later!
Oh God what was the playlist name?
How do I find it again?
Why Sonos does not allow to follow a playlist?
F**k
This is my reaction.