Allow the use of the Spotify App to Play on Sonos

Userlevel 3
Badge
Just to add another comment about this (I know there are tons!).

Sonos, please hear your users.  Allow somehow that the Spotify App (and ANY app) installed on a Smartphone can play on the Sonos system.

That way, you (Sonos) won't have to constantly work on upgrading your own App to support the various music services.

I am sure Sonos Corp is aware of this -- from a business perspective, what is your strategic, legal, etc. reason for not allowing what so many users want?

Spotify within Sonos is about as terrible as a drinking a warm beer on the beach.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

282 replies

Bought a Chromecast Audio to support streaming from Spotify App on iOS/Mac to Sonos components/speakers.
Plugged the 3.5mm out into the Connect:AMP with a mini to stereo RCA cable (no problem there).
The networking: not going well.
Chromecast Audio is creating a new WiFi network, not connecting to the existing Wifi network created by my Time Capsule/Airport Extreme.
Google's support page says "Not guaranteed to work with factory settings of Airport Extreme." and suggests 2 contradictory options.
I'm pretty sure they meant to say: turn Connection Sharing off (Bridge Mode) to eliminate double NAT errors, so I did this.
Some people indicated the network name had to be "smb" compliant, i.e. no spaces - took them out, doesn't work.
My hunch is if I could determine for sure whether the Chromecast is operating on 2.5ghz or 5ghz and make sure it's on the same channel as the Router, this might work. But not sure of the most appropriate way to change this without screwing up other things.
Even when switching to the Chromecast Audio Wifi network on my phone, Spotify still doesn't show it as a device.
Suggestions?
Just to add another comment about this (I know there are tons!).

Sonos, please hear your users.  Allow somehow that the Spotify App (and ANY app) installed on a Smartphone can play on the Sonos system.

That way, you (Sonos) won't have to constantly work on upgrading your own App to support the various music services.

I am sure Sonos Corp is aware of this -- from a business perspective, what is your strategic, legal, etc. reason for not allowing what so many users want?

Spotify within Sonos is about as terrible as a drinking a warm beer on the beach.

Hasn't this been solved yet??
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Hasn't this been solved yet??

according to the Spotify annoucement it will be available in public beta (open to anyone to apply) "in october" so shouldnt be much longer
https://news.spotify.com/us/2016/08/30/spotify-partners-with-sonos-to-unveil-new-era-of-connected-home-listening/
Sonos has announced support for Spotify Connect, in Public Beta. Meanwhile I'm using Chromecast to allow streaming to my Sonos components played thru either the Spotify App (need to manually select line In on Sonos each time) or Sonos App. Working well.
Sonos has announced support for Spotify Connect, in Public Beta. Meanwhile I'm using Chromecast to allow streaming to my Sonos components played thru either the Spotify App (need to manually select line In on Sonos each time) or Sonos App. Working well.

There is no public beta for Spotify at this time. Spotify and Sonos did announce that it will be in public beta in October, so if things go right, it will not be too much longer.
Thanks ewolf, for your answer. I'm looking forward to this, hope I'll find out when it happens
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi everyone,

I wanted to let you know that with the most recent Sonos update you can now use the Spotify app to control your Sonos system. Please see this article for more information.