Allow the use of the Spotify App to Play on Sonos

Userlevel 3
Badge
Just to add another comment about this (I know there are tons!).

Sonos, please hear your users.  Allow somehow that the Spotify App (and ANY app) installed on a Smartphone can play on the Sonos system.

That way, you (Sonos) won't have to constantly work on upgrading your own App to support the various music services.

I am sure Sonos Corp is aware of this -- from a business perspective, what is your strategic, legal, etc. reason for not allowing what so many users want?

Spotify within Sonos is about as terrible as a drinking a warm beer on the beach.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

282 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
AirPlay etc give extra options but your right I think sound quality via Airplay is poor vs direct sonos connections. I have a neighbor that had an AirPort express plugged into his creation whole home system. Not only did he have dropouts but the sound quality playing from his iPhone was acceptable at best. I replaced his airport with a sonos connect. He never has had a dropout since aNd he always says he is amazed just how much better the music sounds (using Spotify in both cases).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That should say his Crestron whole home system
Sonos's response to this request is absolutely astounding and utterly pathetic. People buy Sonos hardware because it is great hardware. People use Spotify because they have the best music streaming service available and supurb software to use it with. It is entirely reasonable for the consumer to want to use the best of both solutions... i.e. use the spotify software to stream to the sonos hardware. In my opinion, and presumably the opinion of millions of others, Spotify Connect integration is probably the single most important feature you need to implement... but the Sonos position is simply "no thanks"... pathetic, this sort of attitude will eventually lose you business.
Userlevel 1
Sell your stuff, switch to a platform that has Spotify connect. post your experience and get sonos to respond with real updates. That's what I'm doing. and in the meantime, my house jams via Spotify connect. Anyone on my wifi network gets to easily show me new music using their Spotify account. Let's start taking action as consumers.
Userlevel 1
Agree with all of the above. Sonos is an expensive system to invest in, and most people are using Spotify as their primary streaming service. The integration is really, really, really, terrible in the Sonos app. Can't play artist radio, can't save artists or albums, use the "discover" feature, or really much of anything. Right now, just to keep a running list of albums I want to listen to, I have to go into the Spotify app, save albums I want to listen to as playlists, then go back to the sonos app and finally I have a list of albums in the Sonos app. It's absurdly counter-intuitive.
Dear ern-fp,

We will forward your feedback regarding Spotify Connect. In the meantime, you could use the line-in feature on one of your CONNECT:AMPs to feed audio to the Sonos system from a device which uses Spotify Connect.

I'm having flashbacks to Sony's failure to be reasonable with Beta Max. Everything went to VHS, a lesser medium, because Sony wanted to be difficult. Remind your team of this at your next meeting, Jeff S.
Indeed Sonos you are not helping us or yourself. - A line in solution is not possible if you have invested only in smaller speakers. - a line in solution with Sonos is not digital (?!) The whole reason for having Sonos is ease of use, quality and multi room. And it comes at a significant price. You are not delivering and this already for a very long time. Frustrating your customers doesnt help. I have recommended various people to buy other systems by now...
Badge
I'm glad I found this thread. Now I know there are no plans to support spotify connect I'm going to sell my play 1 and 3 and will look at other options. I think I'm swaying to the lg music flow rather than the Denon heos. I'll definitely tell anyone thinking of buying a sonos to think twice..
Userlevel 2
I got rid of my Sonos and got a Heos. Excellent sound and works well with Spotify connect but rather pricey. Also Spotify connect does not support Windows Phone yet and I'm one of "those" people. 🙂
Badge
I'd gladly pay a bit extra for a device which allows me to use the spotify app. Luckily I'm on iPhone & iPad so that's not a problem!
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I'd gladly pay a bit extra for a device which allows me to use the spotify app. Luckily I'm on iPhone &
Denon just ran a promotion (us only) for a Heos 3 for $99

see here

unfortunately it didnt extend to europe and it was so popular it already finished :-(

take note Sonos !
Userlevel 1
I'd gladly pay a bit extra for a device which allows me to use the spotify app. Luckily I'm on iPhone &
Wow, the sale was a hit.

All sold out.
Userlevel 1
I got rid of my Sonos and got a Heos. Excellent sound and works well with Spotify connect but rather pricey. Also Spotify connect does not support Windows Phone yet and I'm one of "those" people. :-)
I think I know the source of your problem 🙂
Hey there,

Thank you for the feedback. Spotify has a way of doing this called Spotify Connect which we aren't currently planning on supporting. We'll let everyone know if this changes on our discussion thread.

Thats a lame answer. After buying a house full of sonos hardware; at end of the day, theyre just speakers with a controller - thats got more and more temperamental, so theyre going to be ditched. I want to be able to choose who I can buy and play my music from thanks, not be told by you.  
Badge
Any update? sonos without spotify don't have any sense to me....
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos has Spotify
Badge
Unfortunately you're restricted to using the dire Sonos app though.
Userlevel 1
Yes. Integration with spotify in sonos app is beyond terrible, especially given the cost of sonos "convenience". I've created an account here specifically to voice my complaints about it.
Badge
Luckily other speaker manufacturers are implementing Spotify connect. Check out LG Music Flow and Denon Heos. Also there are plenty of amps with built in Spotify Connect and Apple Airplay.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The poster didn't ask about my opinion of the Spotify app - I don't use Spotify. He said sonos did not have Spotify which is incorrect.
Badge
My question is about the future, and at this moment the support is relative

Today sonos support spotify?, yes, but surprize ! only a few functions... 😑
Userlevel 1
Except that it allowed for another opportunity to weigh in on just how incredibly crappy the Spotify integration in the Sonos app is! Which I will continue to rail about as long as it remains so bad. Sonos staff, anybody out there?
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Spotify already uses the Sonos Partner API. If they (Spotify) would have designed theirs a little different the user could just select within the Spotify app which target platform to use. 

Google Music shows that this is possible, so to blame this solely on Sonos is a stretch. 
Badge
Spotify already uses the Sonos Partner API. If they (Spotify) would have designed theirs a little different the user could just select within the Spotify app which target platform to use. 

Google Music shows that this is possible, so to blame this solely on Sonos is a stretch. 

Personally I don't blame Sonos for the current situation, but their inability/unwillingness to make this improvement means that I'd rather sell my Sonos pay for a speaker system that can be controlled from the Spotify app. 
Userlevel 1
I realize it's partly Spotify's fault with their API as well. However, it obviously would behoove Sonos to advocate on behalf of its customers and communicate with Spotify to find a better solution. Asking us to complain on Spotify site on their behalf about the API is the inverse of good customer service.