Allow the use of the Spotify App to Play on Sonos

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

282 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Will the gramofon solution on a Play:5 work so I can cast different music to multiple sonos zones? Or will it only work on the zone that the Play:5 is in?

They could easily implement Spotify connect .... but they have pretty much said they don't want to implement a protocol specifically to provide one service an advantage.  In this case if they had Spotify connect....what about all the other partners that have signed up to support Sonos users.  Pretty much if its not a fairly universal protocol they aren't supporting as a direct service.

More universal to me would be Bluetooth, Airplay, Google Cast.  Those are less provider dependent.  To me these are the broad focused methods.
How bad really is the spotify player within the Sonos app?  I am a premium member and really like Spotify. I am thinking about purchasing either the LG Music Flow or the Sonos play 1s immediately.  I want to take advantage of the $50 off of a pair before June 2nd.
I agree with Chris.  In the world where music services fail at a higher rate than used Yugos, and the largest one, Spotify, has yet to even turn a profit, I would never waste development time and $$$ on a service which requires proprietary development, costly licensing, and sets up an unfair advantaged over my other service partners who require no licensing and/or proprietary development. 

Spotify could be out of business tomorrow (and the recent trend of the CRB to try and bankrupt streaming services could very well be its death knell).  For Sonos to waste time/money on a fragile business plan like that would be crazy.  Better to let any music service connect via their own API, rather than cater to a specific service which could be gone tomorrow.  Spotify is obviously of another bent, but the history of popular music services does not bode well for them.
Userlevel 2
That makes no sense to me. They will go to a lot of trouble to implement a Spotify application in their software but won't support casting because THAT will give Spotify an advantage? Seems like a strange position.
Userlevel 2
It was quite bad last I used it. Did not support the Radio feature at all and the UI seemed oddly designed. If you are a serious Spotify user then Sonos is not for you.
Userlevel 2
I would guess that they would actually SAVE resources by retiring their Spotify application and just supporting connect. If the point is not to waste time and dollars on a service that could die any day now then why not just implement connect and let Spotify do all of the work?

Even if the current Spotify business plan fails I would guess that they get reborn in some fashion. Too much value there to just let it go away.
The current implementation of Spotify was prior to the Sonos Music Partners API.  The API puts most of the development burden on the providers.  This is the solution Sonos currently offers music services.  Spotify would rather Sonos license and implement Spotify's own protocol, Spotify Connect.  This would put the development burden on Sonos, whereas all other services assume the burden themselves.  Therein lies the impasse. 
Why should they waste time and money implementing Connect when they already have their own API?  Shouldn't Spotify implement casting like Google did, rather than relying on Sonos?  There are two sides to every coin, you know.  IN addition, there are those who like using Spotify inside the Sonos app, especially for mixed service playlists.  Is Sonos supposed to abandon those folks in order to drop Spotify off the app?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Will the gramofon solution on a Play:5 work so I can cast different music to multiple sonos zones? Or will it only work on the zone that the Play:5 is in?

I'm sure users will give you a lot of opinions. I tried it for a while when I had spotify. I just used it as a music source for songs and worked fine for that. Limitations in no spotify radio if you like that and if you use spotify to organize your favorites under my music I believe you won't see any of those favorites. It will show you your playlists and you will be able to search browse for any spotify music. It's all about what you use in the sonos app itself.

I do use the radio but could be swayed into trying Sonos radio options. I watched a Youtube of a guy reviewing the play 3 and app on his phone.  I saw many of the spotify features like playlists, starred music, and I thought radio in the functionality.  That is what has brought Sonos back into the mix.  I welcome anymore feedback and appreciate those who responded.

My advice, get Sonos and try Google Play Music.  Everyone should be service agnostic, given the volatile streaming market.  Over the last few years, Sonos has featured the following services: Rhapsody, Last.FM, Napster, MOG, 8Tracks, among others.  All are either defunct or getting there.  Spotify is just the current flavor of the month, and have yet to turn a profit.  Choosing hardware based on a service that has yet to make a profit is silly, IMHO.  Choose the best hardware, then decide which service gives you what you want.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

He was probably going to the TuneIn radio on Sonos.  I use TuneIn for all the internet radio stations and then Pandora to create my own stations.

Pretty much going into Spotify you get starred tracks, you can search for tracks, artists, albums etc. and you can get to your playlists.

Sonos was an original partner with Spotify.  They just didn't sign on for the whole Spotify Connect.  I wouldn't be sold on Spotify Connect anyhow as I hate casting where it is dependent on your device to send the song to your speaker.  With Spotify Connect the song uploads to your device (like iphone) and then your iphone streams the song via spotify connect to speaker.  So if your phone goes out of range or cuts off then you lose your music or you get breakups (is reliant on your home wifi to actual stream the music).   Spotify for Sonos you pick the song and the Sonos speaker goes out and pulls the song direct from Spotify.  You can cut off your phone or walk away (doesn't utilize your home wifi bandwidth..assuming using Sonosnet).  People are quick to point out the issues with not having Spotify Connect but they don't point out the Spotify for Sonos advantages.  I don't want a casting connection like spotify connect I want my Sonos speaker going through Sonosnet to the wired connection to my router to pull all music from the internet.  I also like that I can pull songs from all different sources into my Sonos Queue.  I could pull a song from Spotify and add to queue and then my wife can go on and add a song she wants from Spotify or from my home music library or anywhere (your queue can play a Spotify Song, then a library, song, then another source all mixed in one big queue or Sonos playlist from multiple sources).  Also with Spotify for Sonos you can have multiple streams of different songs.  You can play a spotify song on one sonos speaker and your wife using same account can stream another to a different speakers (the limitation of 1 per household is removed with Sonos for Spotify... I think though there is a limit of like 3 or 5 something like that).  

So Spotify Connect = radio, my music more options

Spotify for Sonos = playlists, starred, search for music, stream direct from internet instead of device, multiple streams

How do you guys using Spotify Connect play 2 songs in 2 different rooms with 1 Spotify account?  I know how I would . .... and still allow someone in their car playing a different song from the same account.    But maybe you that prefer Spotify Connect don't have spouses or children.

Chris, I'm pretty sure Spotify Connect is different from casting in that the controller instructs the player to retrieve the song from the internet directly.  No casting from the device. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Ok I didn't know that - well then they learned something good from their partnership with Sonos then. 

Chris, thank you that is the best feedback and report I have read yet in my 4 months of research and agonizing. I think I'm going with Sonos. Last request is if you can get the playbar and sub anywhere near the LG music flows prices lol ($399-$999 for both).  I really appreciate your explanations and I feel like that works exactly for me (us).  My wife loves her Pandora but to allow to possibly use the same spotify account in two different rooms might be the best niche feature Sonos has in my opinion. I will also look into Google Music too because I am using their UI on my Galaxy S5 anyways.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I'm like Jgatie, I like source independence.  I do a search in Sonos for a song I don't care what service its coming from.  I'll type in a song or artist and Sonos give me a list of the services that have the song I want that I'm subscribed to.  I currently have Rhapsody, Google Play, and Deezer premium services on my Sonos.  I need to drop Rhapsody and Google Play because my free periods are over.  But dropping them will have no effect on me other then the songs on those services wont be included in my search.  When my Deezer account runs up I can switch to another.  It won't matter other then I may have some Sonos playlists were I used a song from Deezer (and I'll have to replace with the new service same song).    I never use the service phone app unless I'm away from home.

Wife / Kids / everyone happy.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
But as Jgatie mentioned I was incorrect in that Spotify Connect does work like Sonos in bypassing the phone and pulling the music direct from internet (although through home wifi vs. superior Sonosnet).  But still do not believe any will do multiple songs to multiple speakers as Sonos will.

No, the individual players will not sync (despite the claim that they will someday).  One of the downfalls of relying on various hardware manufacturers for your hardware implementations.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
My wife doesn't know how to use Pandora or Deezer or Rhapsody on her phone.  But she uses them in Sonos everyday.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

oops fixed I said Spotify instead of Sonos
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I think my post disappeared but I just wrote that I use gramafon and that everyone can take over with just their spotify app. With the playlists their used to. No need to download the sonos app and search for your music.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

oops I did it the opposite on the 2nd from above my comment at end should say "How do SPOTIFY Connect users share their service with friends who come over (hand them your phone/tell them your login)?

Because Sonos users just have the friend download the Sonos app and connect to their wifi and they have full use of all the services and music in your home at their fingertips.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I've had people over where 4-5 people were using their phones playing songs to different rooms and adding music to the queue

***** Sonos how about that Party mode though....forget about Spotify Connect
Userlevel 2
Badge +1

For me and I think a lot of other users with me this works fine. Perhaps because I use sonos to listen to the same music in my whole house. And maybe it's collaborative but it doesn't sound nice if all your friends are listening to their own music each in a different room.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I guess I could say

Sonos - one giant music library made up of music from multiple music sources in a combined library accessible by multiple people at the same time, playable to multiple speakers in sync at same time, multiple streams to multiple speakers at same time.  Collaborative playlists controlling each speaker

Spotify Connnect - Spotify library accessible by a single user at a time with a single playlist controlling 1 or more speakers (possibly in sync), one individual stream with the full Spotify application user experience for music discovery.

And I'm not saying some people won't choose the later option.  That is why there are choices in wireless systems.