Allow the use of the Spotify App to Play on Sonos

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

282 replies

Userlevel 2
Well quite a few of us on this thread are ex-Sonos users now. No Spotify support is a big deal to us.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If your an ex-Sonos user why would you be hanging out on a Sonos user forum?
Userlevel 2
Because we spent a lot of money on Sonos gear and are still hoping that Sonos will change their minds and begin to support more open tools, specifically Spotify, rather then forcing everyone to use their proprietary software which is not of the quality of other offerings. Registering our discontent is how we make our voice heard right?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You just said you were an ex-Sonos user.
Userlevel 2
Well if they will refund the money that I spent on their gear I promise to shut up. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
So your an ex-user with sonos sitting in a closet since don't want to setup with something like AirPlay in interim until we see a casting method built in.
Userlevel 2
Yes. Want to buy it? I have a Heos now and I am very happy with it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sure many would want to. So again why are you here.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Registering your discontent is certainly a valid option.

The part that strikes me as odd is that users invest in a music system (often significant amount of money) but marrying themselves to a music service that is easily interchangeable (unless you want to listen to Beatles recordings) ?

This makes absolute no sense to me!

Spotify does not even own the largest music catalog these days (Google and Microsoft do) and is every month close to the brink of bankruptcy as more than 70% of their revenues go to publishing rights holders. Their paying customer base just makes 20% and is stagnant.

If would i weight my hardware investment vs the music investment (as a subscription) i would switch in a heartbeat to Google Play Music with a larger library, upload option for my own library and full Sonos integration. If this doesn't convince me, I'd buy an Airport Express and add AirPlay capabilities.

Just my logic. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don't think his posts make a lot of sense Bernhard other than he is here to stir things up.  He says he is a HEOS user now.  So when Sonos does add casting ability he what then is not a HEOS user will he then be posting on HEOS board that he is now again a Sonos user because of HEOS limitations.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
oops there is no HEOS board ....
Registering your discontent is certainly a valid option.

The part that strikes me as odd is that users invest in a music system (often significant amount of money) but marrying themselves to a music service that is easily interchangeable (unless you want to listen to Beatles recordings) ?

This makes absolute no sense to me!

Spotify does not even own the largest music catalog these days (Google and Microsoft do) and is every month close to the brink of bankruptcy as more than 70% of their revenues go to publishing rights holders. Their paying customer base just makes 20% and is stagnant.

If would i weight my hardware investment vs the music investment (as a subscription) i would switch in a heartbeat to Google Play Music with a larger library, upload option for my own library and full Sonos integration. If this doesn't convince me, I'd buy an Airport Express and add AirPlay capabilities.

Just my logic. 

Based on your comment, I gave the google service a try and noticed that only Android devices are supported regarding the direct casting to Sonos from within the Google Play Music app.

IPhone users are going to have to wait for that one too. 

Here is an article from 04/2014 that addresses this. 
http://blogs.wsj.com/personal-technology/2014/04/10/google-play-music-now-streams-directly-to-sonos-...
Badge
Wow! I'm a long time Sonos user that's just getting on the streaming bandwagon (thanks to the promise of curation) and I am stunned at the poor Spotify integration. I have it coming through line in and an Airport Express which is poor connection in my eyes. Its performance always degrades over time and drops out. This reminds me of the Sonos remote that I once argued should be dropped. The Sonos apps are just awful. The performance of the speakers are awesome. Let it go Sonos; support a better controller. Your app on my phone or computer is the weakest link in the chain. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Wow! I'm a long time Sonos user that's just getting on the streaming bandwagon (thanks to the promise of curation) and I am stunned at the poor Spotify integration. I have it coming through line in and an Airport Express which is poor connection in my eyes. Its performance always degrades over time and drops out. This reminds me of the Sonos remote that I once argued should be dropped. The Sonos apps are just awful. The performance of the speakers are awesome. Let it go Sonos

You are seeing the problems of casting That is what makes sonos so much better (although understand the spotify app is lacking)
Badge
Wow! I'm a long time Sonos user that's just getting on the streaming bandwagon (thanks to the promise of curation) and I am stunned at the poor Spotify integration. I have it coming through line in and an Airport Express which is poor connection in my eyes. Its performance always degrades over time and drops out. This reminds me of the Sonos remote that I once argued should be dropped. The Sonos apps are just awful. The performance of the speakers are awesome. Let it go Sonos

I think the Spotfy app is light years better than the Sonos app. My girlfriend chooses the easiest app for her and that isn't Sonos.
Userlevel 1

I tried casting spotify with air sonos & it was unbearably glitchy. Still, overall I really side with all the complaints here about usability within the sonos app, regardless of the streaming service. I have tried many now, including spotify, and none are integrated in sonos app nearly as well as using a service's app directly. It's very frustrating, I continue to be a sonos customer because I invested in the equipment and I do like the sound quality & consistency. But I really wish they'd step up their game with the integration with various services. I feel like I'm battling their app constantly. This might be a dumb question, but is it possible for third party apps to stream via sonosnet without casting? Could they open up an API or something?     
You are a real moron
Will the gramofon solution on a Play:5 work so I can cast different music to multiple sonos zones? Or will it only work on the zone that the Play:5 is in?
Will the gramofon solution on a Play:5 work so I can cast different music to multiple sonos zones? Or will it only work on the zone that the Play:5 is in?

Hi Bernhard,

Sorry I'm new to all this, but are you saying that once I connect the gramofon to the play:5 I can then cast my music to any of the sonos zones without having to go into the sonos app to move the play5 to another zone so to speak?

1. Attached Gramofon to Play5:1
  2. Cast music from Spotify to any of the sonos zones just like with the sonos app?
Although I think from your explanation, I will have to go to the sonos app to change the zones instead of doing it from the spotify app.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Jin
Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hey Jim, No need to apologize, we all were new to it at some point 🙂 to answer your question: You can assign a default zone that picks up the input from what's connected to the Play5. If you want to change the zone you either have to go back into the controller and change the assignment, or group the assigned default zone with additional zones you want the music to be streamed on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

You don't even have to chose a default.  Just the speaker you want to play the airplay to go to Line In - and pick the Airplay input.  It shows as input for every speaker although it is physically connected to the Play:5.  As Bernard says the input no the Play:5 (or connect, or connect:amp) is just a means to get other music sources into the Sonos ecosystem.  Once in the ecosystem it is a line in source for all Sonos devices.

@Jin

Like you I have been trying to find a solution to this very same problem forever and it's actually what has kept me from implementing Sonos across my home...

One thing that I can tell you is that I do NOT recommend the Gramofon but instead suggest that you get the Logitech Bluetooth Audio Adapter which I own and have found to be rock solid and much easier to use than Gramofon (I bought two and stopped using after a week).
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Good one Andrew - since Bluetooth is still really the only standard when it comes to wireless audio.  With that you can play to Sonos from about anything.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Please use a proper tone in the debate.
I have bought 6 SONOS units expecting them to work together with on of the tops in music providers.
I was very disappointed to learn, that the two companies are blaming each other for the missing functions.
I have tried to make a difference. Contacted both SONOS and Spotify. GOt the promise from both, that they will work together to solve this problem.
Maybe a moron. But still trying to be positive.
Can you say that for your selves?

Best regards
Poul Erik

Thanks Chris.

The only downside that I could find with the Logitech Bluetooth Audio Adapter is naturally that you have to be within 15 meters (50 feet) from the unit in order to control it.

The Gramofon in contrast can be controlled from anywhere you have access to the same Wifi that Sonos is using so in this respect it may be better for some usage scenarios where Sonos units are spread throughout a large house for example.

The primary reason that Gramofon did not work for me is that I like to use a Satechi BT Media Remote to control music from my iPad (which acts as the media player) but for some reason it did not work when using Gramofon.

All of this is ultimately really much too complicated and I wish that Sonos could find a way to implement Spotify Connect...