Allow the use of the Spotify App to Play on Sonos

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

282 replies

Just bought a Sonos 5 and my heart is broken. I've been wanting a sonos for years. I just plugged it in and this is where I end up. I'm a huge spotify fan. I will be returning this awesome sounding speaker over a very important feature that is a must these days.
Just bought a WHA system with Sonos Playbar, Sonos SUB, 2x Sonos Play 1 (for surround), Sonos Play 5 and multiple Sonos Play 1. I've been on the fence for quite a while for getting Sonos because of the lack of AirPlay (or GC), Spotify Connect and the limitations on the Playbar. 

I thought I could live with the shortcomings regarding Spotify and use a AirPort Express on the Play 5. This thread has me reconsidering. I'm very sceptic to proprietary and locked in systems but no one else had what I wanted. This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLn3LR0NcrE&feature=youtu.be&utm_campaign=Sneak+Preview+HEOS...= + the recent reviews of the Denon HEOS systems has me re-thinking this decision. I might even return on the Sonos kit I bought without trying it. Sonos doesn't seem to care enough to listen to their customers to give them a proper Spotify implementation.

Too bad since I prefer the design of the Sonos kit to the HEOS "clones". Most likely I will wait until next fall.
Userlevel 2
I can almost guarantee you that Sonos is listening and the lack of support for Spotify is a choice that they are making. Either the noise from the customers is not loud enough, they are too arrogant to make the change or they just don't have the ability. None of those choices works for me. If they are not listening then that is the worst outcome of all.
Yeh I am going to go with the LG MUSIC FLOW H7. It comes out at the end of the month with full spotify connect support. Look in to them also. Does everything sonos does.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Just bought a WHA system with Sonos Playbar, Sonos SUB, 2x Sonos Play 1 (for surround), Sonos Play 5 and multiple Sonos Play 1. I've been on the fence for quite a while for getting Sonos because of the lack of AirPlay (or GC), Spotify Connect and the limitations on the Playbar. 

I thought I could live with the shortcomings regarding Spotify and use a AirPort Express on the Play 5. This thread has me reconsidering. I'm very sceptic to proprietary and locked in systems but no one else had what I wanted. This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLn3LR0NcrE&feature=youtu.be&utm_campaign=Sneak+Preview+HEOS...= + the recent reviews of the Denon HEOS systems has me re-thinking this decision. I might even return on the Sonos kit I bought without trying it. Sonos doesn't seem to care enough to listen to their customers to give them a proper Spotify implementation.

Too bad since I prefer the design of the Sonos kit to the HEOS "clones". Most likely I will wait until next fall.

Fredric,
sadly Sonos has confirmed that they have no plans to support Spotify Connect.
see https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/support_spotify_connect_to_allow_users_to_use_the_spotify_app_as_...

I am a huge Spotify fan and will not be leaving them (I have many reasons).  Im  currently in my home office listening to some great new tunes via the Spotify on Windows client which is being sent to a compatible Pioneer wifi speaker on the shelf via Spotify Connect. I found this particular album via the Spotify 'Activity feed' where I can see what the users I 'follow' are listening to.  Whatever Sonos say about improving the integration (which still hasnt happened) they will never be able to match the rich features and interface offered by Spotify in their app.

Ive also got a close eye on the Heos soundbar, sub and Heos 1 when they come this summer.  Together with the new Heos 3, 5, Link and Link amp they will have it covered and Ill seriously consider moving.

Yes, there are workarounds but they're all pretty clunky compared to just selecting a speaker and pressing play in Spotify !
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Sonos is listening and they publicly stated they did not want to go with Spotify Connect because it was proprietary to a specific service.  
"devoting resources to a small subgroup" - I doubt it is a small group - Spotify has the biggest premium subscription user base out of all the music streaming services available.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos is listening and they publicly stated they did not want to go with Spotify Connect because it was proprietary to a specific service.  
I can't even pretend to know what the user % on Sonos is of Spotify.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Panasonic also expanding their range in (uses Qualcom Allplay)
http://news.panasonic.co.uk/pressreleases/panasonic-s-new-all-connected-sound-bars-and-all-connected...

Any Allplay device is also compatible with Spotify Connect and is hi-res audio compatible.

HTC are now building Allplay direct into their new phone handsets - 'Play on Allplay' is looking a lot closer than 'Play on Sonos' !
Userlevel 2
Don't know don't care. I'm one of them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
or use airplay by connecting an airport express to your play:5 or installing Air Sonos on a computer in your house.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Airplay sucks - unless you have a good signal and not much going around your network you get dropouts galore.
Spotify Connect would tell the speaker what track to pull directly off the Spotify servers - there is no 'man in the middle' like airplay or bluetooth so no battery drain or dropouts.
LG music flow does use a mesh network. In not tech savy but it does say that in its bullet points.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Think of Sonos as a car manufacturer where engineers determine what the "best audio experience" for the customer has to be based on their philosophy.

It doesn't really matter if customers want flexibility, mobile device integration and what not, and to assure customers can't get too comfortable everything is controlled from a proprietary application on top of a fiber CANBUS. This assures there is a superficial dependency one can only overcome with much post-sale effort.

Eventually the customers won the that battle with the car manufacturers. Any vehicle shipped 2016+ will have native Android Car and/or Apple Car integration. 

The market will take care of it eventually, its just a painful journey for the customers 
in the meanwhile.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Think of Sonos as a car manufacturer where engineers determine what the "best audio experience" for the customer has to be based on their philosophy. 

It doesn't really matter if customers want flexibility, mobile device integration and what not, and to assure customers can't get too comfortable everything is controlled from a proprietary application on top of a fiber CANBUS. This assures there is a superficial dependency one can only overcome with much post-sale effort.

Eventually the customers won the that battle with the car manufacturers. Any vehicle shipped 2016+ will have native Android Car and/or Apple Car integration. 

The market will take care of it eventually, its just a painful journey for the customers 
in the meanwhile.
I just got my play1, and I already want to change to denon now due to the official reply. No more sonos for me .
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Good luck with HEOS. 
Guys, you are all free to leave, or bypass, Sonos if it doesn't fit your priorities.  Statements like "Sonos doesn't care about its customers" and "Sonos isn't listening" really mean "Sonos isn't prioritising the thing I most want".  Sonos is making strategic decisions about what to prioritise and who it wants to work with, and INEVITABLY some customers won't like that and will choose to go elsewhere.  You cannot please all of the people all of the time.  I don't know if Sonos is getting it mostly right or mostly wrong, and neither do you.  When you have built a huge multinational audio business you will have a firmer base for your conviction that Sonos is getting it wrong.

Like Chris, I will stick with Sonos, and don't use Spotify.  Others may choose other systems that better meet their mix of priorities.
Hey there,

Thank you for the feedback. Spotify has a way of doing this called Spotify Connect which we aren't currently planning on supporting. We'll let everyone know if this changes on our discussion thread.

Yep, exactly the same for me.
An update: I've installed 2x Play 1 and 1x Play 5 so far. I tried using the AirPort Express in the Play 5 which worked but felt a bit clumsy. AirSonos seems to be a much better bet which enables you to AirPlay directly to any of the zones and group very easily. Used the pre-built windows binary on my Win 8.1 64 bit computer I use as a NVR.

A big benefit compare to using the AirPort Express is that the Sonos Controller get's the artist and title of the track currently playing.

I still think that Sonos really should update their app to include the new curated lists and such. For those considering HEOS instead beware that at this time there isn't a PC or MAC controller software, a big deal for us with computer based touch screen panels mounted in several locations throughout the house.
Hey there,

Thank you for the feedback. Spotify has a way of doing this called Spotify Connect which we aren't currently planning on supporting. We'll let everyone know if this changes on our discussion thread.

You'll get plenty of interest and a good price. It's a great piece of kit and most users are happy with one of the many alternatives to Spotify.
Same to me... Sonos app does not make its job ad Spotify... Hear Denon works in that way. My Sonos will soon be on eBay!!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Best of luck beyond spotify
I would just like to say I have been running an airport express connected to my play 5 now for 2 months, and it works brilliantly. I have the reliability and integrity of Sonos, AirPlay for Spotify thru the Spotify app , and AirPlay for BBC radio when played thru the native BBC player. It's a win win situation , expensive setup, but worth every penny.
I have been reading a lot about LG music flow products and their support if Spotify connect. Has anyone tried them yet? I know they are new and will have flaws.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Last I checked we were Sonos users