Allow the use of the Spotify App to Play on Sonos

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

282 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Spotify already uses the Sonos Partner API. If they (Spotify) would have designed theirs a little different the user could just select within the Spotify app which target platform to use. 

Google Music shows that this is possible, so to blame this solely on Sonos is a stretch. 

You act as though it is a simple fix.   Sonos is a network streaming sound system not originally a casting system.  They have added the ability to cast song that reside on iphones/android but that was only a few years back.  They have a protocol for companies to add "cast to Sonos" ability but only google at this point has implemented (on android).  It is up to the companies to actually include the cast to sonos component within their apps.

Short of that there are the universal type casting protocols like airplay, chromecast, and now Spotify casting.  Spotify casting of all of these would seem to be the least beneficial for Sonos to add from an overall perspective as it is limited to just Spotify users.  We do not know if they are working on any new chromecast or airplay casting abilities as they are the real standards out there now.  There is the ability to add an airport to a sonos input to cast via airplay (or install 3rd party program on computer called AirSonos to add the ability to all speakers).  I don't know of any chromecast solution but since Sonos seems to be working more heavily with google then apple I would think chromecast would probably see the light of day before any further airplay options (but actually airsonos is a pretty good option already for those who haven't looked at it).

While casting provides greater flexibility in that it is bring your own app.   Network streaming via the Sonos app is the much more robust architecture and the reason that Sonos is where they are today.  It is the reason I am a Sonos customer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Spotify already uses the Sonos Partner API. If they (Spotify) would have designed theirs a little different the user could just select within the Spotify app which target platform to use. 

Google Music shows that this is possible, so to blame this solely on Sonos is a stretch. 

ok a box like this with a chromecast dongle can get you chromecast to a Sonos input (connect, connect:amp, playbar or Play:5).

http://www.amazon.com/BlackRock-Adapter-Google-Chromecast-Extractor/dp/B00I4A12JG
Badge

I understand it wouldn't be an easy thing to implement. As interesting as the history is, if Sonos can't provide a solution that meets the current expectations of their customers then they'll seek out alternatives. 

A large number of people (myself included) bought a Sonos purely for the Spotify integration. Perhaps I should have done my homework before buying, but when I found out I was restricted to using the Sonos app I was sorely disappointed. If Sonos announced some distant plans to implement Spotify connect, I would keep hold of it. But there are no plans to give the customers what they want.

There are other systems at a similar price which do implement this functionality, which is the reason I'm selling up.
Badge

I agree, it's a shame.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I realize it's partly Spotify's fault with their API as well. However, it obviously would behoove Sonos to advocate on behalf of its customers and communicate with Spotify to find a better solution. Asking us to complain on Spotify site on their behalf about the API is the inverse of good customer service.

Josh,

for clarification: my post didn't say to complain on Spotify's site, nor do i have any connections to Sonos than being a passionate customer who enjoys their gear.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I use Gramofon now, and it runs perfect. It's like you have to pee for hours, and your finally in front of the toilet. Such a relieve that everything just works. It's ideal you can remotely use it from all devices and it will just play on. I've really missed so many functions but it's also very nice to have the much nicer design and usability.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I use Gramofon now, and it runs perfect. It's like you have to pee for hours, and your finally in front of the toilet. Such a relieve that everything just works. It's ideal you can remotely use it from all devices and it will just play on. I've really missed so many functions but it's also very nice to have the much nicer design and usability.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Gramafon + Play:5 (or another Sonos unit with input) = Full Spotify Connect on all Sonos speakers in your system.
Gramafon + Play:5 (or another Sonos unit with input) = Full Spotify Connect on all Sonos speakers in your system.

Now THIS is an actual option. Might as well get the Gramofon and another Speaker instead of the connect (which I solely needed for the full spotify implemenation). Similar price- more functionality. I might be too romantically attached to my newly aquired Sonos speakers, but I wanna make this work and not look for a different solution.

Thanks!
Badge

It would be a real pity to buy a Sonos, realise you're lumbered with that dreadful Sonos app and then have to spend another £80 on a Gramofon just to use the Spotify app.

If you want more functionality for a similar price you might as well sell your Sonos and invest in a system that does the job.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If you have no need for the other advantages of a reliably stable whole home audio system I guess.
Badge

The Denon heos and LG music flow are both stable whole home audio systems that support the use of the spotify app without having to spend more money on a gramafon. also the gramafon solution being suggested would not support separate playback in different rooms/groups, but the heos and music flow options would.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Reliant on home wifi systems never found reliant in my home environment. I would take sonosnet any day but you can have your opinion.
Userlevel 2

For me it is not as much about options that "fix" the problem but more about the attitude of Sonos on this. They seem to be doggedly pursuing a policy of forcing the world to use their software. Even if there are ways to work around that it points to longer term issues.
Hey there,

Thank you for the feedback. Spotify has a way of doing this called Spotify Connect which we aren't currently planning on supporting. We'll let everyone know if this changes on our discussion thread.

very disappointing. At least fix your app? That part is not on par with the price.
-chris
Userlevel 1
Hey there,

Thank you for the feedback. Spotify has a way of doing this called Spotify Connect which we aren't currently planning on supporting. We'll let everyone know if this changes on our discussion thread.

Sonos is doing this for one one business reason: they do not want to be turned into what's called a "dumb pipe."

Sonos is two things: 1) A wireless speaker system 2) A content ecosystem.

#1 can be copied by many people, and is. 

#2 has been a differentiating factor they don't want to lose (even though they inevitably will, and probably soon).

If any audio app can be beamed directly to Sonos from a phone, then Sonos loses the content ecosystem advantage they have had in the past, because any wireless speaker system can do the same thing. Sonos is trying to retain control over the content, thinking it will differentiate them like it has in the past.

Unfortunately technology has moved way past them, and it is short sighted on Sonos' part and therefore a poor business strategy in 2015. Individual audio apps are 10x better than any integration Sonos builds; Apple and others will enable new living room ecosystems that let you beam music from your app to a wireless system; and Sonos' days are likely numbered as long as they cling to this poor, dated strategy.

If Sonos were smart about this, they'd realize that they should be leading the effort of delivering the bestaudio experience for their customers(a strategy incapable of becoming outdated), including supporting native music apps, worshiping their customers, and inventing new competitive advantages that don't require weakening the user experience. Any time a technology business feels it's in their advantage to weaken the customer experience, they are doomed. (Jeff please pass this on, thanks.)
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I have just bought several SONOS units for a gift

I will tell anyone that they should NOT buy SONOS, but Denon HEOS in stead.

I might recomend (my wife) to use the 100 day return.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Any update? sonos without spotify don't have any sense to me....
Not a word from SONOS ???????
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I realize it's partly Spotify's fault with their API as well. However, it obviously would behoove Sonos to advocate on behalf of its customers and communicate with Spotify to find a better solution. Asking us to complain on Spotify site on their behalf about the API is the inverse of good customer service.

I agree

I will tell anyone that they should NOT buy SONOS, but Denon HEOS in stead.

I might use the 100 day return.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Pretty harsh. I assume you know the pros cons of heos now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

They have said they do not want to implement a proprietary streaming protocol in Spotify connect. Their are rumblings from users that they are going to support Google cast instead (which will do same thing) but nothing confirmed yet.
Badge
Hey there,

I completely agree with this. The best way Sonos could secure their future would be to focus on producing a quality product which can be used through the user's preferred application/streaming service. The fact that they're limiting their customers to using inferior software seems like complete madness to me - they should be making it as accessible as possible. 

The Spotify app is just one example of constantly improving quality software and the Sonos app will always be a few steps behind it. For example, Spotify added the ability to save albums in their app in August 2014. We're now in April 2015 and this functionality still hasn't been implemented in the Sonos app. This is a major annoyance for a lot of people. By the time they get around to implementing that in Sonos, there will be some other feature we have to wait years for.

I should add there are plenty of other features in the Spotify app which haven't been implemented in Sonos (I have no idea if there are plans to) - the recommendations and discovery engines, radio stations, artists information, ability to follow facebook friends, explore their playlists, subscribe to playlists. Whenever I use the Sonos app I'm constantly switching back to the Spotify app - it feels so archaic for 2015!
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Hey there,

In the latest issue of UK 'what hifi' magazine where they reviewed (very positively) Denon Heos it was indicated that denon will soon release a heos soundbar and sub. That will be the moment all my sonos goes on eBay as continuing with this closed approach in the sonos app (no Spotify connect, no google cast...) is getting very tiresome.
Dear ern-fp,

We will forward your feedback regarding Spotify Connect. In the meantime, you could use the line-in feature on one of your CONNECT:AMPs to feed audio to the Sonos system from a device which uses Spotify Connect.

That's a horrible way to support connect... Sigh
Badge
I use the "AirPlay DLNA Sonos/Roku/Chromecast" app ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.airaudio&hl=nl ) as a workaround. When I open this app it plays whatever is playing from my Android Phone.
I must say, it is a payed app and is not (yet) working 100% because sometimes it starts to stutter or it collapses. Just pushing start will get the app going again.
So for me, this is a nice workaround.

Of course it would be a lot more convenient to have a "Spotify Connect" button on the Spotify app, but then they will probably get in trouble with Google Play Music (free subscriptions) 😉