Allow the use of the Spotify App to Play on Sonos

Userlevel 3
Badge
Just to add another comment about this (I know there are tons!).

Sonos, please hear your users.  Allow somehow that the Spotify App (and ANY app) installed on a Smartphone can play on the Sonos system.

That way, you (Sonos) won't have to constantly work on upgrading your own App to support the various music services.

I am sure Sonos Corp is aware of this -- from a business perspective, what is your strategic, legal, etc. reason for not allowing what so many users want?

Spotify within Sonos is about as terrible as a drinking a warm beer on the beach.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

282 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hey there,

Thank you for the feedback. Spotify has a way of doing this called Spotify Connect which we aren't currently planning on supporting. We'll let everyone know if this changes on our discussion thread.
Userlevel 1
No spotify connect?  That's disappointing.  You're saying as an existing Sonos customer  I should plan to replace the system with one from a competitor with better service integration. 

So much for those Christmas gift ideas.  I do at least appreciate the honesty in communicating  Sonos's intentions. It keeps me from spending more money on hardware that isn't aligned with my needs.

thanks.
Userlevel 1
Hey Sonos, what do you support at the end ?
- No Spotify Connect
- No DTS for the Playbar

What else ?

Do you really think that you will still be the leader in the place with these answers to your community ?
Userlevel 2
This is a deal breaker for me. I won't be buying any more Sonos components until I can us the Spotify application to control them. I find it *MUCH* better than the Sonos application. If this does not happen soon enough I'll sell my Play 5 I just bought and switch to a more compatible system.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Dear ern-fp,

We will forward your feedback regarding Spotify Connect. In the meantime, you could use the line-in feature on one of your CONNECT:AMPs to feed audio to the Sonos system from a device which uses Spotify Connect.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Thank you Jeff - this is also quite helpful.  
(100% pos feedback to you and thanks for the fast reply)

I've been thinking about getting an Apple Airport Express and hooking it to the Line In of the Connect.
That way, I can use Apple Air Play and then use the full version of Spotify via Airplay (and also the real Pandora App, etc.).

But if you know of a cheaper device that's also more platform independent than an Apple Airport Express, kindly let me know.

Thanks again and best regards,
Ernst
Userlevel 2
Dear ern-fp,

We will forward your feedback regarding Spotify Connect. In the meantime, you could use the line-in feature on one of your CONNECT:AMPs to feed audio to the Sonos system from a device which uses Spotify Connect.

Good information but there is not much point in buying a Sonos if it is just a connected speaker. There are better/cheaper options.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Dear ern-fp,

Hello User811234 - Totally Agree with you. Unfortunately, as you can see in the picture above, I'm at this point very "locked in" with Sonos.  So at this point, buying an Apple airport Exrpess for ~$100 is the best work-around, which'll hopefully allow me to enjoy 100% of the Spotify Premium that I'm paying for monthly.

Bec. I somehow doubt that in the next few days, Sonos will announce they're supporting Spotify connect.

Best regards,
Ernst
Userlevel 3
Badge
Thank you Jeff - this is also quite helpful.  
(100% pos feedback to you and thanks for the fast reply)

I've been thinking about getting an Apple Airport Express and hooking it to the Line In of the Connect.
That way, I can use Apple Air Play and then use the full version of Spotify via Airplay (and also the real Pandora App, etc.).

But if you know of a cheaper device that's also more platform independent than an Apple Airport Express, kindly let me know.

Thanks again and best regards,
Ernst

Looks like this here little gizmo called "Gramofon" can be plugged into a Sonos Connect or Connect:Amp to be used with Spotify.  Need to further look if it's avail in the US.

https://www.gramofon.com/spotify/
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Dear ern-fp,

@Jeff S - since you appear to be the only person at Sonos actually taking the time to talk to your customers on this topic - how about a straight answer to a straight question - why are you not supporting Spotify Connect ?  You support native Google Play and QQ which are very similar to what Spotify Connect does.  Spotify have functionality many other hardware manufacturers have adopted so it cant be rocket science ? 

Loads of people are asking and commenting all over the place about this - here, the sonos forums, on your blogs, facebook, on the spotify community... and we are yet to get an answer on WHY this is not happening.  The 'official' response on the other thread you link to says absolutely nothing of any use.

I think you seem to be missing the point that a lot of people would drop Sonos faster then they would drop Spotify.  The Spotify integration within Sonos is barely worthy of the name and the advice to 'use a line in' is also missing the point as you could apply that same logic to all the music services within Sonos.  Sonos is supposed to be a 'wireless system' - if I wanted to work with wires, I could do for a lot less money than using Sonos equipment.

I for one have a very close eye on the ever expanding range of hardware available for Spotify.  It is just a matter of time before enough boxes are ticked for me to jump ship - not from Spotify to another music provider but from Sonos to another speaker provider.  Im sure we'd all like to avoid that - you need to work with Spotify to get all the missing features into the Sonos app OR support Spotify Connect.  The latter I believe is within your control even if the former is not (due to API limitations)
Userlevel 3
Badge
Dear ern-fp,

Hello NickA!

Thank you for recapping the actual underlying issue re. Sonos' unreadiness to support Spotify Connect.  There must be some underlying business strategy, legal, or pride issue, otherwise this would be a no-brainer.  Maybe they don't want to ruffle feathers with the other music streaming services to show alliance towards Spotify, who knows.  Hopefully we'll get an answer, but I doubt it.

I like your analogy that ppl will have more loyalty towards Spotify than Sonos and switch speakers, rather than music services.  Unfortunately, I've dumped so much money into Connect:Amps and Connects that financially, I'll probably do a lot better just sucking up the $49.00 for a Gramofon and doing the line in at this point.

Thanks again for recapping my issue,
Best regards,
Ernst
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Dear ern-fp,

Ernst - yes, I can see from your impressive rack you are pretty committed to Sonos !

As mentioned, I am looking into alternatives but there is not yet the full range of products available before I can make the switch - no one yet has a decent wireless 5.1 AV equivalent that works seamlessly as part of a multi-room setup.  Denon have hinted at it as a future offering in their Heos range but nothing yet.  In the meantime, due to the dire Spotify offering within Sonos, I too have added Spotify Connect into my setup using a Panasonic ALL1C connected to my Playbar.  This has the advantage over the Gramofon of having an optical output but, seeing as you only have analogue inputs on your kit, a Gramofon will suffice !

But, its a clunky workaround and still requires 2 apps to get going but at least I can use Spotify as intended with ALL the features.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Hello Everyone - thanks for all the replies.
So, I just figured out the final solution to my issues and came up with the following discoveries:

I ended up getting an Apple Airport Express, rather than a Gramofon, because, the Airport Express currently allows for many more different apps to stream into Sonos via the Line In connection.

At this point, I've basically given up on Sonos as an App that's of any use to me, and I only use the Sonos app for grouping Zones and some minor volume adjustments.

From a technical perspecive, here are the differences between using Gramofon as a Sonos Line in, vs. using Apple Airport Express as a Sonos Line in.

=================
Gramofon:
Music data (~) flows as such
Spotify (in the Cloud) ~~> Gramofon (on my Wifi/or Ethernet, Sonos plugged into Gramofon)Command data (=) flows as such ... Command Data is play, pause, skip, next, volume, etc.
iOS Device ==> Gramofon ==> Spotify in the Cloud

The advantage is:  the iOS device can go out of Wifi Range, be turned off, etc, but Gramofon will continue playing music from Spotify.

At this point, Gramofon only supports Spotify.  (See below, I've discovered other great music services)

==================
Apple Airport Express
Music data (~) flows as such and Command Data (=) flow as such:

Spotify (in the Cloud)  <~=~> iOS Device <~=~>  Airport Express (on my Wifi/or Eithernet, Sonos connected to Airport Express)

Basically, the music data flows thru the iOS device.  If you go out of Wifi range, the music stops, band batteries might drown more quickly.

You can control volume, next song, etc. from the Lock Screen of the iOS device and you can use the volume buttons on the iOS device.  This feature is GREAT, and was a huge annoyance with the native Sonos app.... i.e. waiting for it to open up and then going to the right zone, and then finally being able to adjust the volume.

Any app that plays via Airplay can now play on the Sonos system.
This includes the Pandora, TuneIn, Spotify, Rdio, YouTube, etc. apps.
Note:  on YouTube, the music stops, if phone goes in lock screen, or you go into a different app.

BUT HERE, MY BIGGER DISCOVERY:

Spotify vs. Rdio

Both offer similar size music libraries.
Rdio's interfaces are superior to Spotify and don't feel as dated.
Further, Rdio still goes more by the "album" concept, rather than playlists.  I.e., I can create my own collection of Albums, just like I used to have in the days of CDs, rather than having to mess around with playlists all the time.
Also, for me, being from Austria, Rdio has several more rare Austrian titles, than Spotify.

Spotify on the other hand seems to have more "user contributed" playlists with trendings and such, they create good mixes.  Rdio also has some of this, but Spotify is slightly better.

I'll continue to explore and will let everyone know.

Rdio also does not seem to have any assiciations with specific hardware makers, like Spotify does.  My ideal world would be that Rdio becomes supported on Gramofon

Hope this helps.

Good bye Sonos App ...Except for Zone Groupings.
Userlevel 1
I recently switched from Sonos to Denon Heos just for this reason.  Unfortunately, Sonos will not be supporting Spotify Connect any time soon.  Also they will not update any hardware, which is a bummer.
Userlevel 2
How is your experience with Spotify connect using the Spotify application and the Heos hardware?
Userlevel 1
Pretty impressive but not quite perfect. Which is expected for new software. Remember, it is the Spotify connect experience, not so much the heos side when using Spotify. I like having the ability to play radio, browse, discover, and shuffle play. My wife hates managing a queue, this works great because you can simply find a playing, start it and forget it as it will continue through the list. Perfect for 80% or our use to full the house with background noise. Given the Spotify connect experience, think of heos being the "room integrator". And it works great, when you sync multiple rooms, it is reflected in the Spotify Connect devices menu (i.e. Bedroom+kitchen+TV room) and the volume works. Only bummer, at the moment, is that it stops playback when you navigate to the "now playing screen" on Spotify's side, the work around is use the next-track, pause/play, last track screen in heos which works well. I'm sure an update will fix that as spot and denon are partnering pretty close. So far so good
Userlevel 1
A little bird tells me (and by little bird I mean hearsay from Sonos employees, not verified knowledge), that the lack of Spotify Connect is actually a pride issue. The company has thought of itself as a premier music player in the world. Their hardware is great. Their software is sh*t, and they know it, but giving up on that dream is hard, and both options (opening the platform for full integration, or firing the incompetent software product managers) are not feasible for political reasons.
Again, a hearsay, and a sad one, because they really would benefit from focusing on one thing - making the best wireless audio hardware, and leave software to companies like Spotify (which has 1,000 devs, so obviously its product is light years ahead on usability and everything else).
Userlevel 2
That sounds right to me. Insistence on the world using your software and only your software can only be arrogance particularly for a hardware company (hello Apple). The Denon people seem to be doing a much better job. I am definitely done buying Sonos.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Hello All - On another discussion thread, a similar topic sheds some light about about the delay of a new app.  Check out =15158814#reply_15158814]this post.  Clearly this post is heavily based on rumors, to which I offer no additional opinion, but I figured the folks following this thread may find it interesting.

On my end, I'm planning to sign up for Sonos' beta test program to see if I can make myself useful somehow. 

Does anybody else have any experience with the beta program?

Best regards,
Ernst
Userlevel 1
Updated!!! Spotify connect now works perfectly. Playback continues on every page in Spotify. The December-Heos update fixed the integration and added iHeartRadio.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Pretty impressive but not quite perfect. Which is expected for new software. Remember, it is the Spotify connect experience, not so much the heos side when using Spotify. I like having the ability to play radio, browse, discover, and shuffle play. My wife hates managing a queue, this works great because you can simply find a playing, start it and forget it as it will continue through the list. Perfect for 80% or our use to full the house with background noise. Given the Spotify connect experience, think of heos being the "room integrator". And it works great, when you sync multiple rooms, it is reflected in the Spotify Connect devices menu (i.e. Bedroom+kitchen+TV room) and the volume works. Only bummer, at the moment, is that it stops playback when you navigate to the "now playing screen" on Spotify's side, the work around is use the next-track, pause/play, last track screen in heos which works well. I'm sure an update will fix that as spot and denon are partnering pretty close. So far so good
Wow!  Glad it worked out for you.
Please mr McFarlane allow us to stream from the spotify app directly.. The reason I bought your sonos hardware 5 years ago is to stream spotify. What exactly is the problem if the spotify app takes over the Sonos? I wonder if you have ever noticed the difference in discovering music through the spotify app vs going through the sonos app? Please let me know what is so great about the sonos experience. Swallow your pride and let the consumers decide!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you have an apple device. Best method now is install the third party air sonos on a computer in your house and thus you can play direct from the Spotify app to any speaker via AirPlay.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have the feeling they are working on some solution regarding casting via some job postings others have seen. But I wouldn't think we will see anything this year unless the rumored play base addresses anything.
The reason that Sonos is superior to all of the above options is that the entire chain from 320kbps Spotify stream through the Sonos DAC through the Cinch Connectors (on the Sonos Connect) to your own stereo amplifier, this entire chain is optimized for best possible quality. Some people argue we should move to even higher quality! (i.e. Qobuz or an improved DAC) Making compromises with headphone jacks and mobile device DAC's is just silly. 
Sonos should give people a choice through which interface they can control Spotify. Either the native Spotify app (using Spotify Connect) or the Sonos app.